Ear piercing

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Ear piercing

Postby aleckim » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 am

My 5-year old girl is requesting to have her ears pierced.

I heard that some GPs provide ear piercing service.

Any recommendations?

aleckim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:20 am

My P3 was keen on that few months back after seeing her friend did theirs. Historically I remember those goldsmith does ear piercing so we walked into Poh Heng. But they told me that they stop doing that and we need to go to the GP.

We are at Parkway parade area and she told me the 24 hours clinic (can't remember the name) opposite the market does piercing. She has since dropped the idea so I didn't explore further. I am not sure if all or only some GP does that.

I do see some counters at Isetan doing that.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:14 am

I did mine (all 4) at B*Dazzle at West Mall. It's more ex than when I did it at the goldsmith's years back. (I did it again cos all closed due to improper care and lousy piercing job in one case.) B*Dazzle has a few branches. I think one is at Wisma Atria. Why so ex? Cos they only sell the pure gold/nickel-free/titanium studs for initial piercings. (They also sell other types of earrings but not costume jewellery standard.)

They will also ask you to buy a bottle of their lotion (a kinda alcohol-based liquid) that I find ex but is safe and easy to use. You will need to use this daily to "clean" your fresh piercings for about a month. You also need to go back to them to check your ears within the first month. They will give you an "appt card" for this so I suggest tt if you choose to use their services, better pick a branch near your home/workplace.

When my DD1 requested to get her ears pierced a few years ago (she's 8 now), I brought her there. Her earrings cost us more than $100 but they are really allergy-free. When she had to remove them prematurely for her ballet exam, she screamed and cried when we tried to put them back. In the end, we had to bring her back to the shop where the staff put them back for us. (DD1 will submit to authority in this case, regardless of pain.) The staff who served us was very patient and understanding; she said tt there were similar cases due to the ballet exams too. She also calmed my DD1 down and did the job quickly and skilfully, minimising the pain.

About a year later, DD1 decided to try some cheap costume jewellery earrings which gave her an infection. We went back to the shop with the original pair and they helped us to treat the infection as well as replace the cheap ones with the original ones. They did this all for free as they said that they recognised the original pair as one of theirs.

Therefore, for their good products and excellent after sales service, I would recommend them.

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for them (I'm a SAHM) and I'm not paid to do this. (^_^)

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raynreg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 am

Hi aleckim, traditional goldsmith shop like On Cheong along Chinatown does it. But do make sure that they do both ears together at the same time (ie. they need 2 staff and 2 sets of equipment). Else your DD may end up with only one ear pierced as the pain may be too much for her that she may not want to proceed with another.

raynreg
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:24 pm

My dd had hers done when she was 5 yo at a clinic.
Had infection and was put on a course of antibiotics :cry:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raynreg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Since we are on the earring topic. What type of earrings are your DD wearing. I have a P1 girl and i gave her simple gold ear studs. But at times she complained that the end of the stud (dunno how to describe it) it poking onto her neck when she sleeps causing discomfort. There's the type of "loop" earring but I'm afraid that if accident occurs, the damage done to the ear loop could be worst than those of studs.

The ear studs do drop of quite easily as well and I have replaced 2 pieces so far :cry:

raynreg
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 pm

raynreg wrote:The ear studs do drop of quite easily as well and I have replaced 2 pieces so far :cry:

:!: :!: why not u try the round ones in gold which are like ring but on lighter side it wont hurt the neck and also wont fall down

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 pm

My DD1 wears simple ear studs with a tiny gem each. She has never complained of the studs poking her neck when sleeping but she complained once about them being tight. I investigated and found out that she had pushed the back part (the part that locks the stud in place) all the way in, without leaving any space between her flesh and the back of the stud. I immediately released the back part to the point where it just locks in, and she stopped complaining.

The staff at B*Dazzle told me before that I should not push the locking part all the way in. I should only push it in until I hear the click or feel it click in place. Otherwise, the back of the stud will poke my skin and I may get swollen earlobes.

I think if you get good quality studs, they should not drop off on their own. My DD1 is very clumsy with her accessories (e.g., her hair clips/ties will almost always end up being snapped in half or stepped on beyond repair) but her studs have survived for a few years already.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby skunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Piercing at such a young age will not be aesthetically pleasing later on, as the child's earlobes will still grow and change in shape, u might find the ear-hole moving up or to a weird position.

Although i myself have 3 ear-holes from my rebellious teenaged days (im a daddy btw LOL), i am now very discouraging of piercing.

Many nerves criss-cross our body, especially at our earlobes/ears. The piercing might influence the health/body in subtle ways we might not be so aware of. Just consult any TCM practicioner and they will share the same comments. From what i know, really traditional Indian people only pierce at places after consulting someone who knows Ayuvedra (is it spelt this way?).

Anyway, think about it, it's a bloody wound that's prevented from healing. To me, it's as "beautiful" as

skunk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Chengcab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:56 pm

My daughter did her ear when she was less than 2 yo. After a few weeks waering it, she keep on pulling and we were afraid that it might hurt her so took them out. Now the holes has sealed up..So i advise parents not to do ear peircing when baby too young..thanks

Chengcab
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time