people who buy their degrees...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Will you sent your kid to an enrichment or childcare if the leaders buy their qualifications?

Its not a problem for me. Its the quality of the school that counts.
13%
Its the quality of the school that counts but I will think twice before I sent my kid there.
13%
I will not sent my kid there. I don't give business to dishonest people
67%
Others...
7%

Total votes : 15

people who buy their degrees...

Postby mintcc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:05 pm

The straits times article that Chief Kiasu mentioned in
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/child ... omment-429

is quite an eye opener. seems quite a number of the famous people in singapore business esp education business bought their so call PHDs.

Will you sent your kid to an enrichment/preschool/kidergarten if you know that the owner bought their academic qualifications? Or is the quality of the school/franchise that they operates what counts?
Last edited by mintcc on Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: people who buy their degrees...

Postby jedamum » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:11 pm

mincy wrote:Will you sent your kid to an enrichment/preschool/kidergarten if you know that the owner bought their academic qualifications? Or is the quality of the school/franchise that they operates what counts?

If i like the environment and curriculum and that it is established enough, i will go for it. I won't even bother to checkout the owner's academic qualifications.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phantom » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:14 pm

This is a hard question to answer. I think I won't totally not consider such school, it will still depend on whether it is effective. Also, if it is a franchise from some other curriculum/school, then I might prefer to look for other similar franchisee.

Frankly, I don't really notice/read a lot about the founder of the school, I look more at the curriculum, teacher and environment.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:26 pm

I myself will choose the second option.

I usually will not read much about the founder or owner too... but if I know that they buy their qualifications i.e. imply they are dishonest, I will look twice as hard at their claims and products. Probably look for alternatives if any.

But like phantom, I won't totally not consider the school too. esp if it is a fanchise, it boils down to the effectiveness of the individual operator and teachers...

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:15 pm

I think it is entirely wrong if the person is the founder of a service and uses the Phd to add credence to his/her service. I will not use the service until corrective action has been taken. However, it becomes tricky when the service is a franchise run by innocent franchisees.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby heutistmeintag » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:51 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:I think it is entirely wrong if the person is the founder of a service and uses the Phd to add credence to his/her service. I will not use the service until corrective action has been taken. However, it becomes tricky when the service is a franchise run by innocent franchisees.

I have similar view as CKS. In principle, I will not deal with anyone or company (franchisee or not, doesnt matter) with no integrity. If my kids are not in it, then it's easier to deal with it - avoid it. if my kids are in it, then I have to balance this pragmatically - stay there until I find an alternative.

However if the culprit(s) admitted guilt and had been "punished", then I can give them the benefit of doubt and continue.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 am

yeah i cannot support and condone this...all the more...these are educators.. :?

Postby jedamum » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:17 am

ks2me wrote:yeah i cannot support and condone this...all the more...these are educators.. :?

they are entrepreneur first, and educator second.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlueBells » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:26 am

I have always told my kid that they can lose all their worldly possessions, but the one thing they must never, ever lose is their integrity. So, to me, this is an integrity issue that I cannot condone.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 pm

jedamum wrote:
ks2me wrote:yeah i cannot support and condone this...all the more...these are educators.. :?

they are entrepreneur first, and educator second.

entrepreneur <> no integrity....
i am ok with being opportunistic for entrepreneur but not lack in integrity....it does not orgle well no matter which angle we look at it..

Next

Return to Recess Time