people who buy their degrees...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Will you sent your kid to an enrichment or childcare if the leaders buy their qualifications?

Its not a problem for me. Its the quality of the school that counts.
13%
Its the quality of the school that counts but I will think twice before I sent my kid there.
13%
I will not sent my kid there. I don't give business to dishonest people
67%
Others...
7%

Total votes: 15

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:321

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 am

Seems like the war between The Straits Times and the degree mills is still brewing, with the Preston University publishing a full page "announcement" in The Straits Times to denounce the initial report, and the Straits Times firing back in support of its reporter.

One of the business people named in the earlier report also wrote to the forum to express his "disappointment" at being named, saying that the report appears to claim that he did not have the qualifications to pursue the Phd in the first place. Personally, I think he just did himself a great disservice by writing in with such an argument - firstly, the report took pains to explain his position and how he was already pursuing another Phd to "replace" the Preston U one, and secondly, it is not about whether he is qualified to pursue a Phd, but that he went for the easy route to pay for a questionable one just to get the Dr title for his name. I was originally sympathetic to his predicament, but that disappeared with his letter.

I still cannot believe that some others are still continuing to carry on the masquerade despite the media reports. Check out these links:
Another prestigious accolade
Key management

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:321

Re: people who buy their degrees...

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:14 am

jedamum wrote:If i like the environment and curriculum and that it is established enough, i will go for it. I won't even bother to checkout the owner's academic qualifications.

There was a time some 18 years back that I taught part-time in Informatics Computer School. That was before they went public. The school was staffed by professionals that really cared about the progress of the students, and the school made sure that students get the best of what they have to offer. Then they went public, profits came before everything else, including reputation. When I saw that coming, I simply decided to leave for another professional institution that demonstrates that they care for the students. We all know what happened to ICS subsequently.

It all boils down to the principles adopted by top management. I'm never really comfortable with the idea of making money off education or healthcare. It is important that practioners in these fields realize their key motivation must be the fulfillment of their responsibility to their charges before profits. They have to build their reputation by giving real value to their customers first, and it is through this reputation that they will earn loyalty and profits. We have seen enough enrichment outfits that are plainly out to earn a quick buck off parents who don't know better. Some that were previously good have also lost their way, cutting corners to speed up the process of scaling up their businesses.

IMO, business owners that take the quick and dirty way to scaling up their businesses are good entrepreneurs, but they have no business in education, social and healthcare sectors. Such businesses require a high level of personal integrity, compassion, and a real interest in the welfare of the customers. It takes years to build up reputation, but only a slight oversight in integrity to tear it all down.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by mintcc » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:39 am

the matter blow so big its even on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_University
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_ ... ty_College

Personally, I feel that if you have a good business model and practice ethical business dealings, PHDs take second place. People involve should stop their masquerade and express remorse so that the business can move on, especially when they have innocent franchises whom could be affected because of their lack of ethics.