Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:205

Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Anyone self-published a book in print as well as ebook? Small, non-fiction book for a select audience. Any tips would be welcome.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Re: Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

Post by floppy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:27 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Anyone self-published a book in print as well as ebook? Small, non-fiction book for a select audience. Any tips would be welcome.
Have not done it before but there’s a number of people I know who did. I guess have to know how big an audience are you looking at.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 am

Just saw that Amazon has a self-publishing facility which is FOC. I will explore that and see how that is. Audience is fairly niche, maybe just a few hundred initially. I thought I had more time, but there will be an event in May which I would like to catch. I was aiming for Sep/Oct actually (another event).

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by starlight1968sg » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 am

Slmkhoo
You will have a strong support from this forum

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 am

slmkhoo wrote:Just saw that Amazon has a self-publishing facility which is FOC. I will explore that and see how that is. Audience is fairly niche, maybe just a few hundred initially. I thought I had more time, but there will be an event in May which I would like to catch. I was aiming for Sep/Oct actually (another event).
Locally, you can talk to the nice folks from BooksActually (actual people, rather than an internet entity like Amazon).

They publish and distribute books under Math Paper Press, and they should be able to help. You can refer to their guidelines for manuscript submission here. Good luck!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:45 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Slmkhoo
You will have a strong support from this forum
Not an "educational" book, so quite niche. I will update here if/when I actually get the book published!

CarolW
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CarolW » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 am

I love books! I will be one of your supporters here. Wish you good luck on your future endeavors!^^

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Don't forget to get an ISBN number for your book. Then you have to deposit 2 copies with the NLB.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:03 am

pirate wrote:Don't forget to get an ISBN number for your book. Then you have to deposit 2 copies with the NLB.
Kindle provides the ISBN, so I won't need to get one from NLB. But I will comply with the legal deposit requirements if/when my book actually gets published.

I'm still finalising the main text (asking someone to write a foreword), and I'm playing around with Kindle's Cover Creator - a bit limited and restrictive, but OK for non-fiction, I guess. It took me the better part of 2 days to format the manuscript as I'm not so familiar with things like styles, headers/footers etc. Kindle has a good document with guidelines, and I have worked as a book editor (but formatting was done by other people, not me), so I think it's OK now.

Maybe after this experience, I can freelance to help people publish on Kindle.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Post by zac's mum » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:10 am

Jiayou slmkhoo! :rahrah:

Yes that would be a good freelance gig! I may want to hire your expertise if I publish some short stories for kids on Kindle too! (I did a ghostwriter gig some time back, but couldn’t advise my client on how to publish the anthologies small-scale).