Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:205

Re: Self-publishing a book: anyone done this before?

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:42 pm

zac's mum wrote:Jiayou slmkhoo! :rahrah:

Yes that would be a good freelance gig! I may want to hire your expertise if I publish some short stories for kids on Kindle too! (I did a ghostwriter gig some time back, but couldn’t advise my client on how to publish the anthologies small-scale).
Not an expert, but have worked on a set of children's stories before, when I was in a publishing firm. I don't think Kindle self-pub is the right place to publish kids' books unless you can prepare the artwork offline, or it doesn't have much artwork. The Kindle cover creator isn't very flexible, and the templates are basically Word templates. You would need to get all the artwork already prepared in high-res files to upload. From what I've seen so far, Kindle self-pub seems to be more for books which are mainly text. If there's a lot of artwork and more fancy layouts, you might want to find a full-service publisher to handle it.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:01 pm

I just looked into how to get print books from Amazon to Singapore, and it's quite costly! Even from Japan, which is the nearest place, the shipping charge is S$3.66 per book. Any idea if printing in Singapore would be more cost-effective? Anyone have recommendations for print-on-demand?

Edited to add:
Just discovered a that if I order on Amazon Prime, it's free shipping from the US for orders over $60! Would Amazon Prime track people who join for just 1 month at a time? I wouldn't want to pay continuously, but could join just for the period when I plan to order the books. Is that sneaky?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Post by ChiefKiasu » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Nice @slmkhoo! Tell us when you have finished publishing. I'm sure you will find lots of fans amongst the folks here.

Just curious. Since you have worked in the publishing line before, won't you already know people with the relevant domain knowledgr to share?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:151

Post by Sun_2010 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I
Just discovered a that if I order on Amazon Prime, it's free shipping from the US for orders over $60! Would Amazon Prime track people who join for just 1 month at a time? I wouldn't want to pay continuously, but could join just for the period when I plan to order the books. Is that sneaky?
Nope, you can do that. Amazon would surely expect a hand ful to do that.
I have done that before twice - first enrolled when Prime was free for 1 year and again 1-2 years ago for one month.

But I didnt order to Singapore, I needed some gifts to be delivered in the US.

Amazon has a prime membership for students for 6 months free trail. Not sure if it is only for students in US. What is needed is an .edu email address. You can check that out too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:49 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:Nice @slmkhoo! Tell us when you have finished publishing. I'm sure you will find lots of fans amongst the folks here.

Just curious. Since you have worked in the publishing line before, won't you already know people with the relevant domain knowledgr to share?
Publishing firms generally have all the staff to do most things in-house. They wouldn't use Amazon!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:37 am

Another question: anyone know printers that do "print-on-demand" paperback books in Singapore? i.e. they will only print when the order is placed, rather than offset printing which is for large orders? Amazon's printing cost will be lower, but we (and potential purchasers) might still save on the shipping.

Sheena8
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Sheena8 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 am

24 things I learned publishing 3 books in only 6 months

https://writingcooperative.com/24-thing ... 8f743e9e86