Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Angelsdontexist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:3

Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

Post by Angelsdontexist » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:20 pm

To survive at Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. (BABA.N) you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week. That’s what billionaire Jack Ma demands of his staff at China’s biggest e-commerce platform.

Ma told an internal meeting that Alibaba doesn’t need people who look forward to a typical eight-hour office lifestyle, according to a post on Alibaba’s official Weibo account. Instead, he endorsed the industry’s notorious 996 work culture -- that is, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., six days a week.

“To be able to work 996 is a huge bliss,” China’s richest man said. “If you want to join Alibaba, you need to be prepared to work 12 hours a day, otherwise why even bother joining.”

China’s tech industry is littered with tales of programmers and startup founders dying unexpectedly due to long hours and grueling stress. The comments from Ma elicited some intense reaction.

More at https://www.prolificskins.com/forum/cur ... ays-a-week
Last edited by Angelsdontexist on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Re: Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

Post by ChiefKiasu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Any company that you join should allow you to do your best and reward you accordingly. If it doesn't and you don't feel comfortable, then it's time to go asap. Life's too short for deep regrets. And when you find a good job, time will fly by and you will not be aware you are working all the time.

That's how I define a good job :lol:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Re: Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

Post by zac's mum » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:19 pm

When I was in my 20s, yes I worked close to those gruelling hours in a Big 4 law firm (9am-8pm M-F, 9am-1pm Sat). After several years there, I wanted to have kids, realized it’s not feasible to maintain those hours and still give quality time to my kids. Heck, it’s not even feasible to maintain those hours for decades without your health crashing eventually.

Quit and sought out a flexi-hours firm.

Long story short, now my flexiwork is 7.30am-1pm Mon/Wed/Fri (days may be shuffled around depending on my family needs/errands). I am earning far far more (per hour) now compared to those full-time years. And enjoying my quality time with my kid.

I am living life to the fullest. In the all-round sense of the phrase. Versus squeezing all the life out of myself working non-stop for a faceless heartless company.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:131

Post by janet88 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:19 pm
I am living life to the fullest. In the all-round sense of the phrase. Versus squeezing all the life out of myself working non-stop for a faceless heartless company.
jack ma is heartless.
there is no quality of life working such ridiculous hours.
I pity the employees working in his company. I would rather be indispensable at home, have a balanced lifestyle and bond with my kids than be easily dispensable in a company.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by MrsKiasu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:47 pm

not sure if the pay is higher? if higher and know in advance think it is fine ba..guess many work extended hours at official 9 to 5 jobs contract? I think no one is indispensable, we take the pay and work for other people, pay is our return already.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:15 pm

The Actors and Actresses also work very long hours.

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by Schootopia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 pm

The kids will like to play 996 ...

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Any company that you join should allow you to do your best and reward you accordingly. If it doesn't and you don't feel comfortable, then it's time to go asap. Life's too short for deep regrets. And when you find a good job, time will fly by and you will not be aware you are working all the time.

That's how I define a good job :lol:
Agreed. There is no barrier to exit.

If one is passionate about one's work, it does not feel like work and time passes too fast.

There is a follow-up interview / article on this topic.

Read this quote somewhere but cannot remember if it is by Jack Ma: 愛就不累 不愛就累

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by .zeit » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Fact of the matter is tech/ICT industry is very fast-moving, cut throat and competitive. R&D to beat your global competitors work round the clock, data-mining, 24/7 maintenance, troubleshooting etc.

Chinese tech companies do operate like Jap and TW plants, i.e. they give 2 hr lunch break and some make staff take compulsory naps after lunch. Others practise morning Rajio Taiso like the Japs. A large no of them offer share/stock options (unvested) and quarterly performance appraisal system is draconian to say the least. Punctuality is monitored down to the last minute by making staff scan HID cards, and lateness entails deduction of pay. But they have other attractive perks like food allowances, overseas postings to less travelled continents to broaden one's horizon, intl and domestic / cross-provincial business trips, all coveted by hardworking top brains from top universities in China.

I believe many also still practise 5.5 day week like us 20 years ago and earlier. But they do release female staff on 3.8 IWD yearly and they're allowed to take 0.5 day leave on first day of menses. Maternity leave is 3mths and they had that much earlier, i.e. before Singapore implemented ours here in 2004.

Anyway, in uni, they were already accustomed to 996. Maybe 637 even! 6am-3am 7 days incl PH golden weeks. So you see pillows, mattresses, mats tucked away in labs and office corners. Can't blame them as the tech districts are not near residential districts. Many must catch shuttle bus to get back to their aprts.

Those in it have a lot of passion in what they do. They were conditioned during their induction period to be patriotic and loyal to the company. Induction activities could include military-style training, singing of patriotic songs, cheers to foster team spirit, writing of reflection letters, public speeches/sharings, daily long distance runs at 6am, 4-pax bunk sharing--not dissimilar to those freshmen must do in their first year.

The fruits of labour for sweating for these companies are very sweet, i.e if you are a survivor. However, if you collapse and die, the payout is low.

minion89
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by minion89 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:26 pm

I really enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will definitely bookmark your blog and maybe come back someday Thanks for a great article. Please continue to uphold!
happy wheels