Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

Post by Czeec80 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:46 am

I think that's how he used to work before becoming what he has now.. but for me it is how you manage your time and how you plan to succeed.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:333

Re: Jack Ma: To survive at Alibaba, you need to work 12 hours a day, six days a week

Post by Funz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am

I thought that is the norm. Used to work like that in my 20s. In the office at 8am, leaving only after 8pm, go home quick dinner, laundry, then continue working and couple times a week, global concall till the wee hours. Though not in the office on weekends, I will also be working at home but not 12hrs days lah. When travelling, the hours are even longer. Of course there will be times when I knock off earlier but that will be only about 20% of the time. Even when on leave or on holiday and on maternity leave, I was still working. Not physically in the office but still calling in for meetings, doing up proposals and reports and responding to emails, etc.

When I started by own business in my 30s, it was equally gruelling. 12-14hrs days, 1st one in, last one out. That was for at least 6months to 1 year until the business stabilised. Then I decided I wanted to expand and it was again 12hrs days for at least 6mths.

If we don't piah when we are young and have no major commitments then when to piah. When kids come, cannot piah like that oredi. I was lucky that my parents helped a lot with my kids so I could put in that kind of hours even as a new mum. Those hours paid off eventually as I had the best of both worlds at the point when kiddos and ageing parents needed me.

But hor, to think I slogged like that but my networth is nowhere near Jack Ma's, haiz…..

will85
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by will85 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Czeec80, absolutely! More time pass - more experience you get, and therefore it's much easier to do your job. As always, nothing new. When I was starting my career by providing custom writing service, it was really hard to start it from scratch, even we were doing it in a company of 10 people. But month after month, and hard work gives you great benefit.

jho48109
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by jho48109 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:41 am

All your hard work will give you great benefit in the end but we also have to remember that health is also wealth. It's okay to do all the hard work just make sure to also check on your health. ;)

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am

jho48109 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:41 am
All your hard work will give you great benefit in the end but we also have to remember that health is also wealth. It's okay to do all the hard work just make sure to also check on your health. ;)
when one works too hard, the health problems accumulate and 'erupt' one fine day.

EstherP
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by EstherP » Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 am

If you invest most of your energy and time in your career, you will definitely become a master or expert in your field. For instance, if you study and practice accounting for 16 hours every day for more than 5 years, you will inevitably become an expert in accounting. Successful actors, musicians, footballers, business people, and authors reveal that they became masters of their fields because they always spent a large percentage of their time learning and working on their skills.

Once you become a master of your field, there will be a high demand for your services, and there are high chances that you will be successful if you are highly demanded.

happyfeet20001
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by happyfeet20001 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 pm

who actually believes in Jack Ma anymore? When his big secret to success was actually his communist ties with the chinese government?

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Gilian039 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:26 am

happyfeet20001 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 pm
who actually believes in Jack Ma anymore? When his big secret to success was actually his communist ties with the chinese government?
Wow! Is this really true??

bluesky3000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by bluesky3000 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:57 pm

I think this is very extreme, you need time for your loved ones, your family and friends, putting all your time to work will have disastrous outcome

EstherP
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by EstherP » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 am

bluesky3000 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:57 pm
I think this is very extreme, you need time for your loved ones, your family and friends, putting all your time to work will have disastrous outcome
Agree! What to do with all your success when you don't have your family and love ones with you. I think it's all about managing your time. Time management is just so important to almost everything.