Guy who filmed NUS undergrad showering.....

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:20

Re: Guy who filmed NUS undergrad showering.....

Post by MyPillow » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Just flipped the ST and saw victim photo featured ... dunno why she is willing or so brave to appear on a 3R size page.. isn't this more hard to move on for a traumatized victim since almost whole Spore can easily see her face now
in fact , i din see her face post or shared in fb . newspapers is fast. imho, should not show her face , i thought victim need quiet time n protection of privacy at such hard moment :shrug:

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by .zeit » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Did NUS give up on rehab for the guy? I didn't see anything online about NUS rehab and counselling for him after the internal trial was over.

Minister already said moral values should be best taught by parents at home in his IG video.

I dunno if we're asking too much for IHLs to be offering moral education and sexuality education lessons to young adults, esp males who've finisnhed As and served NS. At most send them to the varsity counsellor for rehab if they flout the uni regulations.

IHL years are really a grey phase like it or not. Undergrads above 21 get to enjoy a lot of student perks (travel and F&B discounts), yet first-time offenders are often let off for some transgressions. Like in overseas unis, molestations. groping, hazing, public nudity are not uncommon. Hetero/Homo Sex in shared toilets and voyeurism happen overseas too. But most IHLs just give a light slap on wrist. Some counselling here and there, if it ain't murder, rape or cheating.

Teachers and educators are innately kind-hearted and forgiving. The undergrad has come so far, scored well to get into NUS and has a lifetime ahead of him to make a living to support his bus/taxi driver dad and unemployed mom. I feel the guy has already been punished enough by the victim. I dunno if the uni should punish him further with expulsion. Maybe, maybe not because we don't get to see his behavior after the trial ended. Did he gloat? Did he continue to 'chee hong'? Did he continue to bunk over at his gf's hall?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:48

Post by Estéema » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:14 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:00 pm
Just flipped the ST and saw victim photo featured ... dunno why she is willing or so brave to appear on a 3R size page.. isn't this more hard to move on for a traumatized victim since almost whole Spore can easily see her face now
in fact , i din see her face post or shared in fb . newspapers is fast. imho, should not show her face , i thought victim need quiet time n protection of privacy at such hard moment :shrug:
She went public with her post in IG, with her mother’s support thereafter, in the name of getting justice. Maybe uni did insufficient communication with her how they handle predator & what objective. Uni shld do more preventive measures learning fr this incident.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sparks » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Just curious, if he had committed the same offence in a public place like a swimming pool, will he be given similar sentence or will he definitely end up in jail?

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Post by Dreamaurora » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Let's remove NUS from the equation, what the guy did was a criminal offence, plain and simple.

It does not matter if he's an ace student or a lazy bum, he is an adult and should be tried as such. We have faith in the law because we expect the law to be consistent in meting out punishments to maintain order, otherwise the society would descend into chaos.

If he does the crime, then he should go to jail, and the prison will provide an avenue to rehabilitate him. NUS is not obligated to rehabilitate him, it is a place of tertiary education and last I check only adults who are capable of discerning rights and wrongs are allowed to study in tertiary institutions. I would concur that if this offence happened in secondary schools there should be a 2nd chance due to (perceived) immaturity of students at those age, but beyond that I don't think there should be any excuse.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sparks » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:31 pm

I agree with Dreamaurora.

He is an adult. I find it hard to justify by a moment of folly argument or he has a bright future ahead,etc. For those who never get the chance to study in an institute of higher learning (which ironically supposed to equip better thinking skills), how can the consequence of their actions be different?

I just googled & found that the conditional warning given by police is not the norm for such cases.

cool_hi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by cool_hi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm
Let's remove NUS from the equation, what the guy did was a criminal offence, plain and simple.

It does not matter if he's an ace student or a lazy bum, he is an adult and should be tried as such. We have faith in the law because we expect the law to be consistent in meting out punishments to maintain order, otherwise the society would descend into chaos.

If he does the crime, then he should go to jail, and the prison will provide an avenue to rehabilitate him. NUS is not obligated to rehabilitate him, it is a place of tertiary education and last I check only adults who are capable of discerning rights and wrongs are allowed to study in tertiary institutions. I would concur that if this offence happened in secondary schools there should be a 2nd chance due to (perceived) immaturity of students at those age, but beyond that I don't think there should be any excuse.
Same sentiments..i wonder if culprit is an poly student & caught doing same crime in poly grounds,will the Police persecute him!?
Or also will give chance!!!?
This is seriously disturbing as i have a daughter..& this make me feel as if i am in I***a..feel so unsafe because the message sent out to potential perpetrators is loud & clear..wana peep,do it in NUS,coz i can do many many times,until i am caught..& the 1st time i am caught,"bo dai ji" one coz will give chance..but this person may have "enjoyed" don't know how many times of perverted thrills before caught 1st time!
The thought of that-so disgusting!!

& NuS orientation on off have complaints also..seriously i don't dare let my gal go NUS in future..
Last edited by cool_hi on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Post by starlight1968sg » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm

The intention to film is evil.
Seeing I or peeping is bad enough.
He filmed or recorded for what ???

cool_hi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by cool_hi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm
The intention to film is evil.
Seeing I or peeping is bad enough.
He filmed or recorded for what ???
To enjoy watching over & over again..?
So disgusting!!
Plus he knew this gal somemore!!
She is his girlfriend's friend!! Gosh!!
That's why i find his excuse of being drunk is lame..if u r drunk,i tink at most u think of peeping..but to be able to film something, u actually know what u are doing lor..

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:101

Post by jtoh » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:58 pm

MyPillow wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:00 pm
She has been posting regularly on her public IG account to raise publicity for her cause. And according to one online report, when questioned why they used her photo instead of the perpertrator's, they said it was because she agreed to it.