Guy who filmed NUS undergrad showering.....

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Re: Guy who filmed NUS undergrad showering.....

Post by Dreamaurora » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 pm

There is something wrong with the design when anyone can just walk in on a whim and place a hp under the door of the shower cubicle. An entry card system and smaller gaps under the cubicle door so that a hp cannot be just pushed in would necessitate the peeping Tom to giving more thought to planning his entry, which would trigger a jail sentence.
Well, uhhh, this statement also applies to most female toilets in public places.

The thing is, the discussion on the design of the female toilet should not even come into the picture, because in a civilised society we expect adult males to know that it is wrong to enter a female toilet in the first place.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sparks » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:07 pm

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:02 pm

sparks wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:29 pm
pirate wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:54 pm
From the police and AGC's point of view, a conditional warning in lieu of prosecution for a $1,000-$2,000 fine is not inappropriate. Contrary to what people are claiming, jail would actually be out of the norm.
This is different from what I've come across : https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... s-need-not

"The criminal lawyers noted that it is uncommon for even a first-time offender to be let off with just a conditional warning for a sexual voyeurism offence, which would come under the Penal Code's Section 509, which criminalises words or gestures intended to "insult the modesty" of women.

Mr Josephus Tan, founder of Invictus Law Corporation, said: "A first-time offender for Section 509 Penal Code offence should generally be looking at a sentence of two to four weeks in jail per charge. This NUS case seems unusual as he was let off with a conditional stern warning without going through the judicial process at the first instance.

"Ultimately, the sentence imposed by courts varies from a fine to jail term to probation, but in the last few years jail has been the norm for such cases.
I know what Josephus Tan said to the Straits Times. You can take his word. Or you can read See Kee Oon J's judgment yourself in GCO v Public Prosecutor that was just decided earlier this year. The link I had provided earlier was to the Supreme Court website. You don't have to take my word.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 pm
There is something wrong with the design when anyone can just walk in on a whim and place a hp under the door of the shower cubicle. An entry card system and smaller gaps under the cubicle door so that a hp cannot be just pushed in would necessitate the peeping Tom to giving more thought to planning his entry, which would trigger a jail sentence.
Well, uhhh, this statement also applies to most female toilets in public places.

The thing is, the discussion on the design of the female toilet should not even come into the picture, because in a civilised society we expect adult males to know that it is wrong to enter a female toilet in the first place.
In a civilised society we don't need to lock our doors. In an ideal world, we don't even need laws. In the real world, criminal cases must be proven beyond reasonable doubt. So, if we want to make it more difficult for a perpetrator to claim 'spur of the moment' instead of premeditation, we make it more difficult for something to be done without premeditation.

And yah. Most female toilets in public places are poorly designed with a view to saving cost.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Peeping Tom incident in male toilet at NTU hall of residence being investigated
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... vestigated

annielovesboogeydog
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by annielovesboogeydog » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm

SINGAPORE - A peeping Tom case in a male toilet at a hall of residence in Nanyang Technological University (NTU) has surfaced, amid a robust debate on how sexual misconduct cases in universities should be handled.

In response to queries from The Straits Times, the police said it received a 999 call for assistance at 1.11pm on Sunday (April 21), with the caller alleging a man had taken photographs of another man in a shower at the hall's toilet.

A19-year-old man, who is not a resident of the hall, is being investigated for criminal trespass under Section 447 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224, the police added.

An NTU spokesman said the man in question "is neither a student nor employee of NTU". He added that several students helped to detain the man.

More at https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... vestigated

Saplings
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

I don't feel sorry for Monica baey

Post by Saplings » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I feel sorry for Nicholas Lim, who has been outted as the peeping Tom who tried to film a female undergraduate who was taking a shower. Now everyone knows who he is: a National University of Singapore Chemical Engineering student who has been suspended for one semester. They now know he has a girlfriend, and how he quit as a financial representative of Great Eastern Life before, I am guessing here, it could take the step to show him the door.

I feel sorry for my alma mater and employer NUS, which has been in the news for the wrong reasons in recent time. It has been in crisis management mode since the weekend started, after realizing that its demonstrable lack of empathy for the undergraduate who was the victim is earning itself the opprobrium of the public.

I don’t feel sorry for Monica Baey. She got what she wanted: the perpetrator has been named and shamed to such a degree that even incarceration might not be too bad an option. More importantly, she got the university to face up to the inadequacies of its penalty system which, in her case, was deemed “manifestly inadequate’’ by Education Minister Ong Ye Kung.

I asked a few female undergraduates why Ms Baey, 23, a communications student, didn’t take the route that I would have taken if this happened to me 30 years ago in university: tell some seniors about the matter and have them deal with it. I did so when I was bothered by a lascivious lad who made me cry with his lewd attentions. I don’t know what the seniors did, but I got what I wanted: the boy never so much as looked me again after that.

Every undergraduate was disconcerted by the question I posed. It sounded like I was suggesting some form of street justice. What they said next floored me: everyone said that their seniors would never want to get involved, because it might get them into trouble too. I suppose the days when gentlemen would guard a maiden’s honour is dead and gone.

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/04 ... -book.html
Last edited by Saplings on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:38

Re: I don't feel sorry for Monica baey

Post by zac's mum » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:14 am

Because times are different, duh.

With social media, u shower also become whole world see.

U pervert take video also whole world know.

Everybody’s life is on display and for everyone to scrutinize.

I do not think she is doing it merely for naming & shaming her perpetrator. I think she is doing it for a bigger cause: to bring harsher consequences on voyeurs, voyeurs who spread such videos via social media. In case any parents are still unaware, there is a whole online pervert community out there that is collecting and spreading such videos.

If my son ever degrades to this level, I think I :spank: him first. Don’t even expect to get away scot free.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by sparks » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:02 am

If taking video of woman showering merely slapped a $2000 fine, then something is wrong and it is time to review and update the system. Jmo.