Helicopter parents, you make life a living hell for teachers and it’s not helping your child

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Helicopter parents, you make life a living hell for teachers and it’s not helping your child

Post by floppy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Over the last nine years, Alex (not his real name) has been unfairly criticised, publicly belittled, and even threatened during the course of his work.

His occupation? A teacher at a secondary school in Singapore.

And his chief tormentors? No, not his students. And not his colleagues or superiors either.

It’s the parents.

“Most of the trouble I’ve had as a teacher stems from the parents of my students,” Alex told The Pride.
https://pride.kindness.sg/helicopter-pa ... our-child/

jchowsingchuy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Helicopter parents, you make life a living hell for teachers and it’s not helping your child

Post by jchowsingchuy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:05 pm

This is only one opinion from one teacher. Honestly I think parents must do their part to keep the teachers in check. If you boh-chap, the teacher will definitely also boh-chap, coz there are 40 other students there in the classroom too. is all about competition.

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Helicopter parents, you make life a living hell for teachers and it’s not helping your child

Post by mondecoinmetier » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:29 pm

I agree it is seems to be the teacher's opinion. What about teachers who give parents problems? The traffic does not goes only one way. It has to go both ways. Sometimes teacher are at fault while other times parents is at fault. We do not know the truth behind it. So can't really judge. Only the person who is involve knows the truth.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am

mondecoinmetier wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:29 pm
I agree it is seems to be the teacher's opinion. What about teachers who give parents problems? The traffic does not goes only one way. It has to go both ways. Sometimes teacher are at fault while other times parents is at fault. We do not know the truth behind it. So can't really judge. Only the person who is involve knows the truth.
Wish to know what kind of problem does teacher give parents. Any sharing?

pokoyoko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by pokoyoko » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 am

For the article above, it doesn't sound exactly like helicopter parenting where the parent is obsessing over the daily details of the child. It is more a disgruntled mother after faulting the teacher for the child losing his or her handphone... I wonder if schools can help to do more to handle such cases. Perhaps MOE needs to have a module in school on Dealing with Parents Haha..

I sympathise with teachers who have to deal with helicopter parents. I try not to interfere unless I find something seriously wrong. But then again, everyone have different limits as to what is good or bad.

CarolW
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CarolW » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 am

Children mirror their parents’ behaviours. So, when children see that their parents disrespect the teachers, they follow suit. Sometimes, they’ll spin tales and tell their parents a totally different story of why they were scolded or punished in school.

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by mondecoinmetier » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:27 am

Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am
mondecoinmetier wrote:
My encounter is when the teacher tears the child written exercise book in front of their face or even tear their test papers in their face. This can be demoralizing to a child when it comes to learning. I feel this kind of teacher is not doing the right thing.

CarolW
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CarolW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm

mondecoinmetier wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:27 am
Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am
mondecoinmetier wrote:
My encounter is when the teacher tears the child written exercise book in front of their face or even tear their test papers in their face. This can be demoralizing to a child when it comes to learning. I feel this kind of teacher is not doing the right thing.
Even if this happens to me, I would feel the same way. Teachers should be the role model to the children. She doesn't have to humiliate the child like that, it will have a huge impact to the child emotionally. :(

leon T
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by leon T » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Last time parents are less educated, they trust the teachers and let them discipline their children. Times seem to have changed. Parents are more concern whether teachers can teach well and able to help their children to excel in their studies. Just my personal observation.

Rachel572
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Rachel572 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:15 am

Sometimes parents are going beyond their limits that they lack confidence with the teachers. We have to give trust to the teachers so they can do their job well unless they're doing something that's not good for your child anymore. They became Teachers because they have enough knowledge to teach. Let's not generalize the teachers.