Reusable food wraps and covers

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Reusable food wraps and covers

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 am

Has anyone used reusable food wraps (cloth coated with beeswax) and stretchable silicone covers? Any comments? Are there better reusable products? I would like like to replace single-use cling film in my kitchen. Some examples of what I mean:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:40

Re: Reusable food wraps and covers

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am

slmkhoo, I use containers..I m have more containers at home nowadays so try to buy those stackable. Fruits and bakes in those smaller containers, easier when take out the portion to eat and wash after that..leftovers I try to put the pot with lid into fridge..heat up using same pot no need double wash. lemons after halved will be in containers too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am

I use containers a lot too as I cook in a wok which can't fit in the fridge, but sometimes it's easier to just cover the bowl to put in the fridge if there's a lot left. I don't like to leave cut surfaces exposed to air, even in a container, so I usually use cling film to wrap them, but I do find it rather wasteful. I also carry lunch to work sometimes, and although I use a container, I sometimes need to take some some items out before microwaving the rest, so I wrap those items in cling film as I don't want to carry 2 containers.

I find the idea of reusable wraps quite good, so thinking of buying a few to try. But wanted to see if anyone else has experience using them.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 am

Even those tupperware containers with lid you still cling wrapped? I use the same tupperware containers for dds to bring food/fruits to school..once I cooked more for dh, I tried my luck to put same containers into freezer, looks ok too..I dont use cling wrap..had one roll in kitchen cabinet but been long time there..

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 am

For storing cut food like lemons, onions etc, I wrap in cling film but don't put into a container, and just put them in the fridge veg drawer. To freeze food, I use containers.

For my lunch, I have a lunch box with 2 compartments. Sometimes I put some salad or cut fruits etc in 1 compartment, and rice etc in the other compartment, so I need to lift out the salad before heating the rice. That's why I wrap the salad or fruits - I can lift it out more easily that way. I prefer not to carry 2 containers.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MrsKiasu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:36 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 am
For storing cut food like lemons, onions etc, I wrap in cling film but don't put into a container, and just put them in the fridge veg drawer. To freeze food, I use containers.

For my lunch, I have a lunch box with 2 compartments. Sometimes I put some salad or cut fruits etc in 1 compartment, and rice etc in the other compartment, so I need to lift out the salad before heating the rice. That's why I wrap the salad or fruits - I can lift it out more easily that way. I prefer not to carry 2 containers.
oic..

Katherin22
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Katherin22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:38 pm

I'm looking for an expandable silicone 'cups' that 'hug' around the cut edge of fruits and vegetables, keeping them fresher for longer. I've found it somewhere and heard it is super effective.. Have you tried using one before?

jliu76746
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jliu76746 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am

How to Make DIY Beeswax Food Wraps for a Plastic-Free Kitchen
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/c ... ble-wraps/

happyfeet20001
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by happyfeet20001 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:03 pm

jliu76746 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am
where to buy the beeswax pellets?

Katherin22
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Katherin22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:48 am

happyfeet20001 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:03 pm
jliu76746 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am
where to buy the beeswax pellets?
This looks good but I have the same question too. I tried searching it on the web, I found this site https://singaporesoap.com/where-can-i-b ... singapore/ Haven't tried it yet but might try it sometime.