Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by pirate » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:04 pm

I am wondering whether there are any ethnic Chinese minority KSPs out there. This may seem like a strange question, because we all know that in Singapore, the Chinese are the majority race.

But it's not that straightforward!

Not long ago, I discovered an old family secret. Even my parents and my aunts (who are in their 80s) did not know. I think my grandfather knew, but he never said anything about it. My family (father's side) is not Han (汉族)! It turns out that our ancestral village up in the remote mountains has been officially designated an ethnic minority village (少数民族村). Everybody from the village is She (畲族). Apparently there are fewer than one million of us in the whole of China.

So now, if anybody were to say 'Chinese' in Singapore actually means Han, I can rightfully say, "Excuuuse me!"

It's weird to be a minority majority. :lol:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:27

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by starlight1968sg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Interesting.
What is your family name?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by floppy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:11 pm

pirate wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:04 pm
I am wondering whether there are any ethnic Chinese minority KSPs out there. This may seem like a strange question, because we all know that in Singapore, the Chinese are the majority race.

But it's not that straightforward!

Not long ago, I discovered an old family secret. Even my parents and my aunts (who are in their 80s) did not know. I think my grandfather knew, but he never said anything about it. My family (father's side) is not Han (汉族)! It turns out that our ancestral village up in the remote mountains has been officially designated an ethnic minority village (少数民族村). Everybody from the village is She (畲族). Apparently there are fewer than one million of us in the whole of China.

So now, if anybody were to say 'Chinese' in Singapore actually means Han, I can rightfully say, "Excuuuse me!"

It's weird to be a minority majority. :lol:
It may not be that unusual. One of my friend is a Manchu. I mean he is a Singaporean, has a Han Chinese name (Tong), listed as a Chinese but is really a Manchu :skeptical:

The problem really is understanding 'ethnicity' and 'race'. Race is a social construct. China recognises 56 distinct ethnic groups (including the majority Han), each equally as 'Chinese' as the other.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:30 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:59 pm
Interesting.
One of the three. :laugh:

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by .zeit » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:06 pm

If you're Hakka, maybe you have some 畲族 blood.

But bear in mind 出生地 and 祖籍 can be mutually exclusive. Your grandfather might be 100% 汉族 who just happened to be born in or lived near that 畲族-dominant village before migrating to SEA.

There have been a lot of mass migrations over the last 200 years due to: the opening up of trading ports and 租界 (more job opportunities), 中日战争 and 国共 civil war. One could be of 山东祖籍 but because of the civil war, your Shandongese grandparents might have joined the KMT army or civil service after 1911, so they moved with the troops or ruling government across China, resulting in your parent being born in another city like 重庆--the last KMT capital during the war. Or your grand ancestors could be of 满族 descent but during the Qing dynasty, moved to 北平 or 天津, but after the collapse of the Qing dynasty, your grandparent later migrated to 上海 settlement to work before WW2. I also know there were many 汉族 KMT soldiers who got stuck in 云南中缅, 广西 where there are many ethnic minorities. Some might have married the locals and had offspring who later migrated to SEA.

If you have an existing 祠堂 , 族谱 and 祖坟 in that ethnic 畲族 minority village, you can confirm if you're 汉族 or 畲族。

That said however, even if you trawl through your family tree and see only 汉 surnames and generational names, it isn't suffice to say you're pure Han either. The minority that married into the Han family might have adopted a Han name.

As we all know, many Manchurians ditched their Manchu surnames and adopted Han surnames after 1911. 富察 became 傅 or 付, 马尔泰 became 马, 爱新觉罗 became 金 赵 罗,瓜尔佳 became 关 (关之琳),钮祜禄 became 郎 (郎朗 / 郎姑) 钮 (钮承泽),赫舍里 became 何,他塔拉 became 唐,乌雅 became 吴,叶赫那拉 became 那 (那英)or 叶, 齐佳 became 齐(齐秦) .

Floppy's Manchua friend was from the 佟佳 clan, so the sinicised or transliterated Han surname became 佟 (佟大为)or 童(童安格).
Last edited by .zeit on Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by .zeit » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm

pirate wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:30 pm
starlight1968sg wrote:
Interesting.
王?

畲族 = 钟 (Chung/Chong) 蓝 (Nah) 雷 (Lui?)...what else?

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:12 am

.zeit wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:06 pm
If you have an existing 祠堂 , 族谱 and 祖坟 in that ethnic 畲族 minority village, you can confirm if you're 汉族 or 畲族。
Yah, we have. Our names have been entered into the 族谱 back in the village even though we are 华侨. Apparently my great grandfather was quite well-known. He even got his own baike.baidu page. :shock:
Last edited by pirate on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pirate » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 am

.zeit wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm
pirate wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:30 pm
starlight1968sg wrote:
Interesting.
王?

Dun have 王 lah. It's not a 灯谜. You very naughty. :laugh:

Yah lah. One of those three.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:101

Post by jtoh » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am

.zeit wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm

This is an interesting thread. Are those the three surnames pirate was referring to earlier, which point to the She minority group? Which other surnames point to an ethnic minority group?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am

So eventually, what dialect did you adopt?