Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by Nebbermind » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:37 am

pirate wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:14 pm
'Discrimination' as in chased until must go hide in the remote mountains with no roads. :laugh:

I read somewhere that in the early days of the CCP's fight against the Nationalist government, many CCP fighters had to take refuge in the remote mountains, where they were taken care of by ethnic minorities there. Because of this, the CCP has never forgotten the minorities in China.
I think it's as bad as genocide/ethnic cleansing...according to wiki

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by floppy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:18 am

Nebbermind wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 am
pirate wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:58 pm
.zeit wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:43 pm
Nowadays some Han men want to marry a beautiful minority bride cos got tax rebates, welfare perks, Gaokao discount points and can procreate to populate the entire village.
Yah. The magic word on the ID card that says anything but 汉. And the Western media is still going on and on about supposed discrimination against ethnic minorities in China.
BTW, is "Dialect" still in the birth cert?
As of 2016, child's - not specified.
However, father's and mother's - still in.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:35 am

.zeit wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:45 pm
If the ancestral booklet is still intact, they can trace back. My eldest uncle made a copy from the original one in China. If you're no longer in contact with your mainland relatives, it's really tough to get that info. They had to have a good housekeeping SOP in place to begin with.

I suppose people who like oral history will bother listening to grandmother's wartime stories. The escape routes taken during the Sino-Jap war and civil war were melodramatic and tumultuous like what your friend described. Totally blockbuster-worthy.
Mine's the other way round. My clan in Singapore has the nearly intact 族谱 tracing back to the original 'migrants' to the province (the original inhabitants, one of the 56 recognized, are the largest minority group in the province and held in high esteem by CPC because, like pirate said, they fought alongside the Communist against the Nationalist). Those found overseas, especially in China, are often incomplete or in bad condition as most copies of the 族谱 were lost or destroyed during the cultural revolution. Hence, distant relatives or researchers from China and elsewhere had to come to Singapore to do the trace if they are interested in stuff pre-cultural revolution.

And if anyone's interested, I'm Han (华夏族) :rotflmao:
Last edited by floppy on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:173

Post by pirate » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 pm

floppy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:32 pm
Having said so much, still no other KSP besides you owning up to being a minority Chinese? :evil:
So lonely! :cry: KSP is no fun! :razz:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:51 am

pirate wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 pm
So lonely! :cry: KSP is no fun! :razz:
so now that you know your roots, are you gonna learn to dance and sing like them? Or dress in your traditional clothings during your kids' wedding?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:333

Post by Funz » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 am

Maybe not not owning up but really don't know. Ha

I for sure don't know. My family don't have 族谱. As far as my father is concerned, we are Singaporeans.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:41 am

floppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:35 am
Mine's the other way round. My clan in Singapore has the nearly intact 族谱 tracing back to the original 'migrants' to the province (the original inhabitants, one of the 56 recognized, are the largest minority group in the province and held in high esteem by CPC because, like pirate said, they fought alongside the Communist against the Nationalist). Those found overseas, especially in China, are often incomplete or in bad condition as most copies of the 族谱 were lost or destroyed during the cultural revolution. Hence, distant relatives or researchers from China and elsewhere had to come to Singapore to do the trace if they are interested in stuff pre-cultural revolution.

Are you hainanese?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am

Nebbermind wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:41 am
floppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:35 am

Are you hainanese?
You need a Singapore Sling?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:13 am

floppy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 am
You need a Singapore Sling?
今天又学到新东西了! :smile:

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am

Funz wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:32 am
Maybe not not owning up but really don't know. Ha

I for sure don't know. My family don't have 族谱. As far as my father is concerned, we are Singaporeans.
Same here. I am Peranakan on my father's side - and it seems his family was in Indonesia and then Singapore from at least 2 generations before him. No idea of exactly where they were from in China. My maternal grandfather was from China, but lost contact with all his family (or was estranged, not sure about the details as he never talked about them). My maternal grandmother was born in Malaysia, and we have no idea about her China ancestors. My parents are from different dialect groups although, following my father, my brother and I declare ourselves as "Hokkien" if we have to. I guess we are just "Southeast Asian Chinese".