Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by .zeit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:50 pm

pirate wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:01 am
.zeit wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:16 pm

齐秦/齐豫 and 刘家昌 registered 山东 as their 祖籍 in Taiwan, but they are 满族人。

马景涛 is another who's adopted 马姓。马尔泰氏 (same 旗 as that 若曦 in '步步惊心')。

那英 is 'distantly related' to the Empress Dowager who's also 叶赫那拉氏.

郎朗 the pianist is from the same clan as 甄嬛 (钮祜禄氏)
Where you get the info that 刘家昌 and 马景涛 are 满族人? I only see from baiku.baidu saying they are 汉族. The others are stated to be 满族. :?
They are Dr Fu Manchu alright....jk! Yes lah. You must type Chinese words. The ethnic group =/= place of birth.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/37176179

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:56 pm

.zeit wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:50 pm
pirate wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:01 am
.zeit wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:16 pm

齐秦/齐豫 and 刘家昌 registered 山东 as their 祖籍 in Taiwan, but they are 满族人。

马景涛 is another who's adopted 马姓。马尔泰氏 (same 旗 as that 若曦 in '步步惊心')。

那英 is 'distantly related' to the Empress Dowager who's also 叶赫那拉氏.

郎朗 the pianist is from the same clan as 甄嬛 (钮祜禄氏)
Where you get the info that 刘家昌 and 马景涛 are 满族人? I only see from baiku.baidu saying they are 汉族. The others are stated to be 满族. :?
They are Dr Fu Manchu alright....jk! Yes lah. You must type Chinese words. The ethnic group =/= place of birth.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/37176179
齐秦 (and by extension his sis, 齊豫) is also stated as 满族 in 维基百科 and Baidu.

His father is an elected representative in the first nationalist government.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 pm

floppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:35 am
Mine's the other way round. My clan in Singapore has the nearly intact 族谱 tracing back to the original 'migrants' to the province (the original inhabitants, one of the 56 recognized, are the largest minority group in the province and held in high esteem by CPC because, like pirate said, they fought alongside the Communist against the Nationalist). Those found overseas, especially in China, are often incomplete or in bad condition as most copies of the 族谱 were lost or destroyed during the cultural revolution. Hence, distant relatives or researchers from China and elsewhere had to come to Singapore to do the trace if they are interested in stuff pre-cultural revolution.

And if anyone's interested, I'm Han (华夏族) :rotflmao:
Mine's quite intact and well-maintained. Maybe they were staying nearer to urban/concession areas, particularly near to the Nationalist govt capital Nanking, plus most were not illiterate (民国军公教商) hence bothered to keep track of such documents. I believe most immigrants (those who came 150-200 yrs ago) might have lost touch with their ancestors.

Both sides of my clan are Han。But in colonial Singapore it didn't matter. Easier to govern using CMIO.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Hainanese can join SHHK to enrol in those 5 Hokkien primary schools? U must have connections with SHHK to do so in the olden days, like my non-Hokkien relatives 'sneaked' into ATS with the help of LKC. Fake Hokkiens.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:24 pm

.zeit wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:16 pm
Hainanese can join SHHK to enrol in those 5 Hokkien primary schools? U must have connections with SHHK to do so in the olden days, like my non-Hokkien relatives 'sneaked' into ATS with the help of LKC. Fake Hokkiens.
Is SHHK members priority restricted to only father or both or either?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm

.zeit wrote:
I'm not a member of SHHK wor :rotflmao:
But if I have to, my wife is Hokkien :lol:

By the way, in the olden days, SHHK schools were never 'hot'. Most, if not all, of them were at risk of closing down at one point in time or another. They were either seen as 'Chinese' schools (when English-medium schools were the rage) or 'secret society' schools because a number of their students were part of the triads. Therefore, it was a lot easier to enter their schools compared to today.

It's really through lots of support and some luck that their reputation grew and become 'hot' today.
Last edited by floppy on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:24 pm
.zeit wrote:
Is SHHK members priority restricted to only father or both or either?
You mean today? Today they go by the father's lineage I guess.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:158

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Tao Nan was in the present Perankan Museum...it was THAT SMALL!!

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 pm

floppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm
.zeit wrote:
I'm not a member of SHHK wor :rotflmao:
But if I have to, my wife is Hokkien :lol:

By the way, in the olden days, SHHK schools were never 'hot'. Most, if not all, of them were at risk of closing down at one point in time or another. They were either seen as 'Chinese' schools (when English-medium schools were the rage) or 'secret society' schools because a number of their students were part of the triads. It's through some support and luck that their reputation grow and become 'hot' today.
I see. I always see you advising people in the P1 Registration Clan, religious, community thread!

But triads were and still are not dialect-specific. They had a larger common cause which was to 反清复明 or rather to SunYS, was to 光复中华。

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Tao Nan was in the present Perankan Museum...it was THAT SMALL!!
Just to add to my earlier comment about the popularity of SHHK schools:

In 1979, only 2 students (!) registered to join Ai Tong (and 1 of them eventually withdraw) when there were 2,000 vacancies (across all levels). At that time, Ai Tong had less registrations compared to Ang Mo Kio and Mayflower Primary. They had to take on students who couldn't secure a place at those 2 schools in order to function (much like Phase 2CS / Phase 3 today :lol: ).

In 1980, Tao Nan had 80 children by the end of registration when they targeted 240. To ensure that the school can function with sufficient students, they had to take on monolingual and extended classes.