Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2903
Joined: Tue Jan 03,
Total Likes:82

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by zac's mum » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:51 pm

.zeit wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:16 pm
Hainanese can join SHHK to enrol in those 5 Hokkien primary schools? U must have connections with SHHK to do so in the olden days, like my non-Hokkien relatives 'sneaked' into ATS with the help of LKC. Fake Hokkiens.
I believe nowadays to join SHHK the minimum is must have Hokkien dialect group printed on your birth cert. I did consider that route but didn’t like the idea of having to lead tour groups in Thian Hock Keng temple to clock the hours.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16183
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:158

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by Nebbermind » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:52 pm

OK, Ai Tong win liao!
Was Ai Tong at the same location as present?

I know in the 70s, there were still many 'kampong' school...those single storey building with just a basketball court you see in 早安老师.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6985
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:164

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:52 pm
OK, Ai Tong win liao!
Was Ai Tong at the same location as present?

I know in the 70s, there were still many 'kampong' school...those single storey building with just a basketball court you see in 早安老师.
Different location (but not that far away, just across the park).

1980 was the first year in a new campus in Ang Mo Kio (part of the present location of Mayflower Secondary School). Hence, if there was ever a KSP thread, it will be called "1979 P1 Registration Exercise for 1980 In-take". Imagine, only 2 applicants, not much advice to give because sure bao jiak for the school. Everyone in Ang Mo Kio in 1979 and 1980 was rushing to Ang Mo Kio (estb 1978) and Mayflower Primary School (estb 1979) because no one wants to study in a Chinese school lah :laugh:
Last edited by floppy on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Aug 22,
Total Likes:6

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by .zeit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:06 pm

pirate wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:04 pm
I think beyond the third generation, most Chinese Singaporeans would have lost it. This getting into contact with mainland keepers of the ancestral booklet being done by my aunts who are in their 70s and 80s. Even some mainland families don't bother anymore, especially those living in the big cities.
Cos of the cultural revolution, KMT retreat to TW and constant unrests in post-colonial SEA, overseas Chinese avoided the mainland for several decades until the late 80s. The overseas Chinese were the ones with money to help rebuild and upkeep those ancestral stuffs. Without financial support, all these memories will just fade away over time. Further fuelling that were: the adoption of Christianity and other religions that do not practise Qingming, mixed marriages, western education, national propaganda, ethnic whitewashing to maintain social cohesion and so on.


Have you ever seen your mainland relatives donning the She ethnic costumes before? Maybe they have a set somewhere at home?! I still don't know how you can be so sure that you are a She minority.

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4711
Joined: Mon Jul 02,
Total Likes:173

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by pirate » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:05 pm

.zeit wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:06 pm
Have you ever seen your mainland relatives donning the She ethnic costumes before? Maybe they have a set somewhere at home?! I still don't know how you can be so sure that you are a She minority.
Because our 族谱 is still quite intact in the village (now officially designated XX畲族村), so I can trace my genealogy all the way back to the 畲族 ancestor who founded the village in the Ming Dynasty. I suspect they already threw away the ethnic costumes in the Qing dynasty. The current ones probably only to sing sing dance dance the tourists :lol:.


floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 6985
Joined: Wed Jul 31,
Gender: Male
Total Likes:164

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by floppy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 pm

pirate wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:05 pm
.zeit wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:06 pm
Have you ever seen your mainland relatives donning the She ethnic costumes before? Maybe they have a set somewhere at home?! I still don't know how you can be so sure that you are a She minority.
Because our 族谱 is still quite intact in the village (now officially designated XX畲族村), so I can trace my genealogy all the way back to the 畲族 ancestor who founded the village in the Ming Dynasty. I suspect they already threw away the ethnic costumes in the Qing dynasty. The current ones probably only to sing sing dance dance the tourists :lol:.
畲族 (costume) quite chio leh!

Image

pirate
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4711
Joined: Mon Jul 02,
Total Likes:173

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by pirate » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am

floppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 pm
畲族 (costume) quite chio leh!

Image
:slapshead:

I wonder if can get from Taobao... :evil:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16183
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:158

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by Nebbermind » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:49 pm

pirate wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am
floppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:21 pm
畲族 (costume) quite chio leh!

Image
:slapshead:

I wonder if can get from Taobao... :evil:
Girl? Traditional clothing? Both?

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Aug 22,
Total Likes:6

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by .zeit » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:21 pm

You all ah. So funny!

You can purchase the dolls as well as the costumes from Taobao (male & female).

Image

Image

I own the full set of 56 ethnic minorities 泥娃娃. Got them from Beijing.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 16183
Joined: Tue Dec 22,
Total Likes:158

Re: Any Chinese ethnic minorities out there?

Post by Nebbermind » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Do they come alive at night?

Post Reply