Mother of schizophrenic son who feels wronged by the system pens angry open letter chastising PM Lee

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Re: Mother of schizophrenic son who feels wronged by the system pens angry open letter chastising PM Lee

Post by janet88 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am

floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 pm
TL;DR.
Best summarised in one word: rant.

There, save you 10mins of your life.
if her son is schizophrenic, then the education system is not the cause of it. in fact, the mother herself needs to get her brain checked.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Re: Mother of schizophrenic son who feels wronged by the system pens angry open letter chastising PM Lee

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:40 am

TL;DR too. Thanks to hb for summarising it.

Maybe she can crowd fund. I am sure some of us don’t mind helping her.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 am

janet88 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am
floppy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 pm
TL;DR.
Best summarised in one word: rant.

There, save you 10mins of your life.
if her son is schizophrenic, then the education system is not the cause of it. in fact, the mother herself needs to get her brain checked.
Question is
When did her son start to display symptoms of schizophrenic ?

Before attend NS, or during NS ?

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by hb » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 pm

phtthp wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 am
Question is
When did her son start to display symptoms of schizophrenic ?

Before attend NS, or during NS ?
Yah that's the question. Unclear.

I wonder about kids like him, with mental health issues which are not identified before NS (or maybe didn't surface before NS). If the parents don't notice these issues or don't know how to deal with them, and if the kid's school teachers and NS instructors don't either, because they're not trained for it - or, more likely, think them to be disciplinary issues (i.e. that the kid is just lazy or defiant or malingering or something), which would be a natural thing for them to think - then the end result, with no malice on anyone's part, is likely to be extremely unfortunate for the kid.

Michy79
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Michy79 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 am

That's quite interesting.. maybe she just recently noticed it. If she already knew it from the start, she should've been ready no matter what happens. Beyond this all, I feel for the kid. He's too young to experience this things.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:135

Post by janet88 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 am

don't know when her son's condition started.
during the pre-enlisment checkup, there is a comprehensive medical test carried out. my uncle's son was diagnosed with lung cancer (lymphoma) and undergoing radiation after completing chemo treatment. the bill is $100k but uncle would need to pay 50%.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:179

Post by phtthp » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 pm

If her son is found to be schizophrenic before NS enlistment under medical condition, can he be exempted from NS ?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:76

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 pm

According to DS, mental health was not screened during NS pre-enlistment. Unless the family knows about the boy’s symptoms prior to NS enlistment and notify CMPB, it is unlikely NS will find out prior to enlistment.

Beansprout
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Beansprout » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:52 pm

whatever it is , be it rant or bad narrated letter , the fact is she almost lost her son and her son is schizophrenic . She might be at a very miserable state when she wrote the letter. Not nice to comments like ‘it’s a rant , you hero can still read the letter in full, etc..’ . This is a situation of a parent whose son has a mental issue and he wanted to kill himself . Have some empathy.

Janet32
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Janet32 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Beansprout wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:52 pm
whatever it is , be it rant or bad narrated letter , the fact is she almost lost her son and her son is schizophrenic . She might be at a very miserable state when she wrote the letter. Not nice to comments like ‘it’s a rant , you hero can still read the letter in full, etc..’ . This is a situation of a parent whose son has a mental issue and he wanted to kill himself . Have some empathy.
agree, if I would be in her situation I wouldn't know what I will do. Given that her son has a mental issue is already a difficult situation. This must be very hard for her.