Any advice on Baby/Booster seats in car?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Any advice on Baby/Booster seats in car?

Postby atrecord » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:50 am

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question - pls let me know if there is another more appropriate place.

DD is in P1 now, and DS is going to be 5 in a few months. Both are quite tall, and DS is also quite heavy (glad he's no longer fat).

We used to make both sit in baby seats in the car by DD switched to booster seat abt 2 years ago and DS wanted to follow the sis last year. It was only on long road trips that we insisted he sit in baby seat. When we drove up to Malaysia in Dec, that was the last time we made both sit in the baby seat, for safety considerations).

Lately, both of them do not want the booster seats even.

I'm trying to find out what are the rules and regulations regarding baby and booster seats. I remember that when it was first enforced, i read that kids under a certain age are mandated by law to be in baby (well, child) seat.

Just wondering whether anyone here knows the rules, or where to find out about them.

tks...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CMF » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 am

See http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... eltfaq.htm

States that children below 8 years old need to be in a car seat.

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ooptimizer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:51 am

Nowadays the TP not so strict. As long as your child is belted up by the seat belt, I don't think the TP will bother.

In fact, many times my children don't even bother to belt up at all.

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

CMF wrote:See http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... eltfaq.htm

States that children below 8 years old need to be in a car seat.

it also further elaborated that most 8 years old are not tall enough :roll:

this may be dated, as kids these days are getting much taller faster

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

ooptimizer wrote:Nowadays the TP not so strict. As long as your child is belted up by the seat belt, I don't think the TP will bother.

In fact, many times my children don't even bother to belt up at all.

for your children's safety, it is better to belt them up.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:55 am

ooptimizer wrote:In fact, many times my children don't even bother to belt up at all.

:!: :!: :!: its not for the TP to check its for ur kids safety I guess :?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:02 pm

it is important to use child seat if the child is not tall enough or the belt will not restraint the child probably during an emergency.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby atrecord » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks for the link. Tried searching for child seat last night but couldn't get anything. Didn't realise it should have gone to seat belt instead.

But they didn't quite elaborate on how to use a seat belt safely leh.

Both my kids are relatively tall. When we went to the sch to buy uniforms (for DD) in Dec, the lady there thought it was for DS and asked him to let her measure size... She was surprised and laughed when we said he was only 4 and it's for the sis...

Kids' heads are already above the safety belt when slung across and locked - does that mean that they are using it properly and do not need to sit on baby seat or booster seat anymore? DS is prob >1.1 m and DD is prob >1.2 m...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:51 pm

atrecord wrote:Kids' heads are already above the safety belt when slung across and locked - does that mean that they are using it properly and do not need to sit on baby seat or booster seat anymore? DS is prob >1.1 m and DD is prob >1.2 m...

Does the diagonal part of the belt cut across their neck to the point of discomfort/pain? If yes, then, they are still not tall enough. If you move this part behind their backs to prevent the pain, then, they will not be restrained properly. Kids who are not suitable for adult seatbelts yet may get hurt if the car comes to a sudden stop or gets involved in an accident; the kid may fly out of the "grasp" of the belt or the belt may cut or choke him/her. That is why booster seats are recommended.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:01 pm

Pls pls pls, belt up your child, even when he is 8 yr old. accident happens when you are unaware. 1 min of belting is nothing compared to the few hours or even few mmonths of inconvenience.

I know because we got into a car accident, with my boy (5 yr old) sitting in front, he usually sit in front because he likes the front view...(beat me why)...and will throw tantrum if we dun let him...anyway on that day, we were going slowly because there was a jam...and I was distracted by him, and the next moment I know, our car banged the Merz in front...although the car was going very very slowly (about 20-30km/h), the impact was quite strong...until my boy hit the dashboard and was bleeding (from nose)...
anyway, we learnt a very important lesson, never never let a child sitting in front seat WITHOUT belting him/her.

the Merz claim was $12k while my car claim $8k...all because I was distracted! :x

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time