2 same sets of toys for 2 boys/girls

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

2 same sets of toys for 2 boys/girls

Postby nettie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:43 pm

My boys are only 18 months apart. They play the same thing now.

Whenever I buy 1 set of toy for them to share, my in-law always say, " Why dun you buy 2 of the same set? Like that they wont fight anymore.."

Then, I bought 2 same sets of toys for them. They still fight over it! :shock: My elder boy want 2 phone (never satisfy) and my younger boy end up with nothing! :|

What is your take? Please share..

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: 2 same sets of toys for 2 boys/girls

Postby atrecord » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm

nettie wrote:My boys are only 18 months apart. They play the same thing now.

Whenever I buy 1 set of toy for them to share, my in-law always say, " Why dun you buy 2 of the same set? Like that they wont fight anymore.."

Then, I bought 2 same sets of toys for them. They still fight over it! :shock: My elder boy want 2 phone (never satisfy) and my younger boy end up with nothing! :|

What is your take? Please share..

I have 3 different neighbours in my block who have only one kid each, and all 3 long to play with other kids, including mine. Whenever got chance, they will ask whether can play with my kids or not, as they are so lonely. All 3 of them are looked after by their grandmothers, who of course either dun have the interest or energy to play with them much.

So when my kids fight over things, or quarrel/fight, I'll ask them whether they prefer to be alone without anyone to play with - like the three kids. Most of them time they will calm down and say dun wan...

Once, DW separated them into different parts of the living room when they quaralled (like will develop into a fight), prevented them from talking. After abt 5-10 min, they cannot tahan and told DW that they want to play, and dun want to quarall anymore :lol:

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi nettie,
Do you think they will settle for Lego? Then no need to buy 2 sets :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby penglee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

No matter how many sets you buy, what game u get.
Applies to computer games or dvds.
:shock:
It is kiddo's nature to fight (sometimes for the sake of fighting)
:celebrate:

penglee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Yes, agreed on the fighting part. My DS is an only son, he is starting to pick up fight with friends....headache..

OT here :P

outsider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:36 am

My boys are 4.5 years apart. Also fights over toys even though there is enough to share. Esp lego/blocks. The elder one will make a big structure that needs many parts (plain selfish). In the end, I split everything into two boxes, no one can touch the other one's box. In the end, they cannot tahan and agreed to share.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummy of 2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 am

My MIL also made similar comments before like "why not buy 2 sets so they won't fight?".

I disagree. I think buying two sets of everything is the easy way out. I prefer to teach them that they need to learn to share or take turns. If the kids fight over a toy, that toy will go into the storeroom for a day. After awhile they learn not to fight over toys. All I have to do is ask" Do you want this toy to go into the storeroom?" :P

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:16 am

mummy of 2 wrote:My MIL also made similar comments before like "why not buy 2 sets so they won't fight?".

I disagree. I think buying two sets of everything is the easy way out. I prefer to teach them that they need to learn to share or take turns. If the kids fight over a toy, that toy will go into the storeroom for a day. After awhile they learn not to fight over toys. All I have to do is ask" Do you want this toy to go into the storeroom?" :P

Hi mummy of 2, I did that too. I'll buy 1 set so as wanted them to learn how to share. If they fight, the toy will be kept high up on top of a cabinet.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LKVM » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 am

BlurBee wrote:Hi mummy of 2, I did that too. I'll buy 1 set so as wanted them to learn how to share. If they fight, the toy will be kept high up on top of a cabinet.

Yeah true but for me my kids end up breaking the toy :x

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 am

auntieM wrote:Hi nettie,
Do you think they will settle for Lego? Then no need to buy 2 sets :wink:

no lah, then will fight over who gets what piece.

I have 2 sons....I don't subscribe to buying duplicates for them also. Wash brain by telling them if I buy different ones for them, they get to play together with 2 (not 1 type only). Still fight, but as long as we draw boundaries (eg who owns the toy who gets priority or who plays first gets priority), then ok.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time