https://rayofhope.sg/campaign/operation ... re-workers

oplo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by oplo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:39 pm

.zeit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 pm
Sometime mid-Jan, many of my friends from HK were already carting masks from pharmacies in Taiwan, Japan and Indonesia where they were touring. My HK friend bought 4,000 masks from Jakarta distributor and another bought 1,000 masks from various Taipei pharmacies. That was around 18-19 Jan. Talk abt 快手快脚. Their heightened sense of preparedness was contagious, so I also bought more masks in CBD pharmacies for my relatives to wear to TPE, while retaining a few for my family. Those in the PRC biz network would have known that several new immigrants, PRs & tourists here were already raising funds & buying in bulk from local distributors to be shipped back to China.

Not sure if our govt was aware of such early warning signs, i.e. the underground panic-buying of masks from mid-Jan to 30 Jan? Our govt still generously released 5 million masks over 9 days from 21-30 Jan to retail pharmacies, which to me was a mistake as PRC/HK tourists & 30-day business visa holders had not left our territory yet. They were the ones buying masks and hand sanitisers while SCs were busy with reunion hotpots & visitations.

Rationing by NRIC is something the govt needs to look into in their AAR months later.

There's a severe global shortage of masks now. Monday, workers have returned to work in China and they've gone full throttle to mass produce masks. Some factories such as Foxconn have refitted their production lines to produce masks instead of their usual products. Military personnel in Taiwan and innates in HK have all been roped in to help produce masks.

I think we need to learn from these other places and have contingency plans to flexibly convert small light factories into makeshift surgical mask factories in an outbreak. I know we have Innosparks producing Air+ smart masks but those are currently useless in blocking out COVID-19. When they reiterate we have enough masks, I think they meant the 16 million N95 masks for haze as well as an unknown no. of surgical masks just enough for our frontline healthcare workers, public transport workers and frontline staff serving quarantine orders or disinfecting premises. Hearsay from sources we have placed large orders but that will take months to deliver and this pandemic is not going to end till summer.

So let's use our precious masks wisely, like only when we enter a crowded lift or commute in a small vehicle. And OLs please stop chitter-chattering and spitting droplets in the enclosed lift. Since SARS 2003, I've been using my knuckle to press lift buttons, toilet flush, bus buzzers, even during 'clean' times!

If you don't have that many at home, preserve the not so dirty ones in a Ziploc bag after folding the inner white side inwards to prevent contaminating your Ziploc bag. Dr Leong Hoe Nam, an infectious disease expert at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, even suggested putting a clean (food, I suppose?) desiccant inside to dehumidify the bag.

Don't put on lipstick or lipgloss, BB cream/foundation or moisturiser for the time being. Use Pigeon gentle baby wet wipes or make up remover wet wipes to wipe-clean your mouth/chin/nose area, so you don't waste masks.

Going forward, we should educate every Singaporean to wear a mask when they are having a cold, cough or fever. Most Japs, Taiwanese and Hongkongers have a few dozens or so surgical masks at home, yet that's still not enough as PRC tourists, celebrities and philanthropists have snapped them up for the epicentre.
Some 中资企业 has better ground sensing than Singapore scholars. They bought a lot when they assessed its going to be big and were able to issue hundreds of masks per employee. The amount foreigners and new citizens bought here to ship back ain't that big but still enough to cause retail shortages here. It's their 国家队 that snapped up at distribution and plant levels. That, is a lot. Only those who are working on it know if Singapore can increase depleting stockpile while virus raging. For ordinary residents, we can only get what we willing to pay for to protect our own families.

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by .zeit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:27 pm
:yikes: :sweat: geylang got durian also..can buy home to kneel on the shell.
Stay away from heaty food and soups. I've thrown all the CNY goodies away a week ago. Maybe can keep the pineapple tart food desiccant and wash it thoroughly before putting it in the Ziploc bag used to dehumidify your used masks!

Days before CNY, I had already gone to Hock Hua to stock up on barley, green beans, chrysanthemum, lingyang, luohan, honey rock sugar, winter melon strips, North-South almond and Manuka Honey. As I was queueing to pay for my frozen meat at NTUC, I checked my HP and learnt about Cases 2&3. So instinctively, I left the queue and returned to the aisles to pick up more frozen meat, hardy stem & root veggies, and more apples & pears.
Last edited by .zeit on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:164

Post by Nebbermind » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:43 pm

.zeit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm
MrsKiasu wrote:
Stay away from heaty food and soups. I've thrown all the CNY goodies away a week ago. Maybe can keep the pineapple tart food desiccant and wash it thoroughly before putting it in the Ziploc bag used to dehumidify your used masks!

Days before CNY, I had already gone to Hock Hua to stock up on barley, green beans, lingyang, luohan, honey rock sugar, winter melon strips, North-South almond and Manuka Honey. As I was queueing to pay for my frozen meat at NTUC, I checked my HP and learnt about Cases 2&3. So instinctively, I left the queue and returned to the aisles to pick up more frozen meat, hardy stem & root veggies, and more apples & pears.
:shock:

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by .zeit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:10 pm

oplo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:39 pm
Some 中资企业 has better ground sensing than Singapore scholars. They bought a lot when they assessed its going to be big and were able to issue hundreds of masks per employee. The amount foreigners and new citizens bought here to ship back ain't that big but still enough to cause retail shortages here. It's their 国家队 that snapped up at distribution and plant levels. That, is a lot. Only those who are working on it know if Singapore can increase depleting stockpile while virus raging. For ordinary residents, we can only get what we willing to pay for to protect our own families.
Yes, SMEs too. Saw some towkay-looking person collecting boxes from a distributor in CBD, as if they had already made a pre-order. He said he was buying for his workers. I didn't know what kind of workers, nonetheless, we politely asked in Beijing accent, "兄弟,你买那么多盒干嘛?不如卖我一盒吧?“. Surprisingly, he treated us as 自己人 and sold us one box. :lol:

.zeit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by .zeit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:43 pm
.zeit wrote:
:shock:
OK, my bad. Cannot wash yah (quite contradictory!), then wipe it clean or buy new ones or bear with the moisture inside the Ziploc bag. But if you have many masks, then discard the used mask properly.

https://www.lazada.sg/products/20-packs ... null__null__

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:02 pm

.zeit wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:

Days before CNY, I had already gone to Hock Hua to stock up on barley, green beans, chrysanthemum, lingyang, luohan, honey rock sugar, winter melon strips, North-South almond and Manuka Honey. As I was queueing to pay for my frozen meat at NTUC, I checked my HP and learnt about Cases 2&3. So instinctively, I left the queue and returned to the aisles to pick up more frozen meat, hardy stem & root veggies, and more apples & pears.
I went to buy luohanguo just now. Price has doubled! I bought one batch earlier on at normal price all packed for ahlao. The stall assistant says price may go up somemore :sweat:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:05 pm

because of this virus, prices going up, fear/disruption are great ..

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:48

Post by Imp75 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 pm

was reading the confirmed case in MBFC3 DBS bank 43rd floor. How is it possible to house 300 employees on 1 floor? I don't recall MBFC as having very big office space.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 pm

I m not sure the set up specifically there..but ever heard of 'shared' work stations esp. for those need to go out from office frequently I think.