Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Post Reply
Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Aug 20,

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by Newtandcucumber » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:13 am

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Not a little credit. I think it’s a big credit.

Without Wuhan locking themselves down right before 春运, it could have been 10 times or 100 times worse.
Agreed. Without China setting the precedent of decisively locking down, things may have been a lot worse.
China has to take the blame for the worldwide pandemic, as it started there, and they tried to suppress its visibility early on. This will happen again as wet markets are rife in South East Asia, and involve key vectors: buyers, sellers and other supply chain merchants - listen to this report https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw

Cloud Cloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Aug 28,
Total Likes:2

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by Cloud Cloud » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:13 am

zac's mum wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am
I still see moderate numbers of secondary school students going back to school during these March holidays.

MOH has said that they won’t order school closures unless they start seeing evidence of the school-going age group being at higher risk, or of them being super-spreaders to vulnerable family members.

In any case, we can expect plenty of kids whose parents have happily taken them on overseas holiday cos unwilling to cancel or whatever, waiting out their compulsory 14-day SHN, which will last till 1-2 weeks after Term 2 starts. I’d expect many classrooms to be less than full when Term 2 reopens.

That should buy us a bit more time, flatten the curve a little bit.
Those returning by tomorrow will not be subjected to the SHN...their children will still attend school and enrichment classes :shrug:

Serendipity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Aug 04,
Total Likes:8

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by Serendipity » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 am

Cloud Cloud wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:13 am
zac's mum wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am
I still see moderate numbers of secondary school students going back to school during these March holidays.

MOH has said that they won’t order school closures unless they start seeing evidence of the school-going age group being at higher risk, or of them being super-spreaders to vulnerable family members.

In any case, we can expect plenty of kids whose parents have happily taken them on overseas holiday cos unwilling to cancel or whatever, waiting out their compulsory 14-day SHN, which will last till 1-2 weeks after Term 2 starts. I’d expect many classrooms to be less than full when Term 2 reopens.

That should buy us a bit more time, flatten the curve a little bit.
Those returning by tomorrow will not be subjected to the SHN...their children will still attend school and enrichment classes :shrug:
They will be issued LOA by MOE. I hope these people are socially responsible enough to avoid going to enrichment classes too!

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:296

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by phtthp » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am

Serendipity wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 am

Those returning by tomorrow will not be subjected to the SHN...their children will still attend school and enrichment classes :shrug:

refer point #4, especially the bold & underlined part

https://www.moe.gov.sg/news/press-relea ... y-measures


4.

To further protect the education system, MOE, MSF and ECDA will implement additional precautionary measures over and above MOH's measures.

As some have travelled overseas during the March school holidays, we will issue a 14-day Leave of Absence (LOA) to students and staff of schools, preschools and student care centres who have been out of Singapore on or after 14 March, which is the start of the March school holidays.

=================

This means that any parent who have brought their children out for overseas holiday trip, on the start or beginning of the 14 March holiday [Saturday] during this one week holiday break, after returned back home to Singapore,

the student cannot come to school starting Term 2 next Monday 23 March.
Student must stay at home for 2 weeks, LOA

Schools will issue these students / parents LOA, SHN stay at home notice


They don't care when u come back to Singapore, from your holiday overseas.
It is the starting date, that is important
As long as students & family had departed out of Singapore, from this Saturday date 14 March 2020, means
must go on leave for 2 weeks, starting from next Monday, beginning of Term 2, 23 March
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8168
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:144

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by lee_yl » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:35 am

phtthp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am
Serendipity wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 am

Those returning by tomorrow will not be subjected to the SHN...their children will still attend school and enrichment classes :shrug:

refer point #4, especially the bold & underlined part

https://www.moe.gov.sg/news/press-relea ... y-measures


4.

To further protect the education system, MOE, MSF and ECDA will implement additional precautionary measures over and above MOH's measures.

As some have travelled overseas during the March school holidays, we will issue a 14-day Leave of Absence (LOA) to students and staff of schools, preschools and student care centres who have been out of Singapore on or after 14 March, which is the start of the March school holidays.

=================

This means that any parent who have brought their children out for overseas holiday trip, on the start or beginning of the 14 March holiday [Saturday] during this one week holiday break, after returned back home to Singapore,

the student cannot come to school starting Term 2 next Monday 23 March.
Student must stay at home for 2 weeks, LOA

Schools will issue these students / parents LOA, SHN stay at home notice


They dont care when u come back to Singapore, from your holiday overseas.
As long as students & family had departed out of Singapore, from this Saturday date 14 March 2020, means
must go on leave for 2 weeks, starting from next Monday Term 2, 23 March
That teacher I knew, she took one day leave and flew off before March Hol (14th March) started!


Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4988
Joined: Wed Jul 04,
Total Likes:96

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by Estéema » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:35 am

Anybody else hv kids studying in UK besides slmkhoo, I’ll pm you for special arrangements msg for yr kids. Those in SG, don’t go UK now till COVID-19 subsides.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 8168
Joined: Mon Jan 18,
Total Likes:144

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by lee_yl » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am

Newtandcucumber wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:13 am
Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Not a little credit. I think it’s a big credit.

Without Wuhan locking themselves down right before 春运, it could have been 10 times or 100 times worse.
Agreed. Without China setting the precedent of decisively locking down, things may have been a lot worse.
China has to take the blame for the worldwide pandemic, as it started there, and they tried to suppress its visibility early on. This will happen again as wet markets are rife in South East Asia, and involve key vectors: buyers, sellers and other supply chain merchants - listen to this report https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw
By blaming China, does it help the current situation? It’s like blaming Western countries for the AIDS pandemic which killed more and has been around longer. Be objective, the situation could be much much worse had China not responded so aggressively with the lockdown of Wuhan and Hubei province

Time gained could have been put to good use by governments worldwide but many just let the golden opportunity slip

I find it sad that when it was an Asian epidemic no one seemed overly worried but when Caucasians started dying then the whole world got worried to the extent of being irrational.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 20480
Joined: Fri Jan 21,
Total Likes:296

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by phtthp » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am

lee_yl wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:35 am

That teacher I knew, she took one day leave and flew off before March Hol (14th March) started!
hopefully, this teacher is Not a virus carrier, after travelled overseas holiday

But if she is, then the number of infected cases in Sg will rise
Last edited by phtthp on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 7698
Joined: Mon Aug 27,
Total Likes:42

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by MyPillow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:40 am

lee_yl wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:05 am
doodbug wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:11 am
School closures by themselves - would it be useful?
Probably need to couple with stay at home advisories - otherwise large groups of kids, instead of being in school where some social distancing can be enforced - they are milling around in fast food outlets or malls or public libraries etc - i don't think it will help much in containing spread.
All shopping malls shut down for 2 weeks except for supermarkets and pharmacies. Maybe we can’t imagine that happening but this is what is happening in many countries right now.

Friend told me, those undergrad returning from overseas, many of them have siblings in local schools! One school teacher I knew, flew overseas during March Hol, I am not sure whether she returned before or after the SHN dateline kicked in.


Image
shut down activitties/ retail / entertainment in week ends? except essential services :food supermarket, medical etc
the teens still go out during sch holidays - to sch for extra class, own initiated cca . class activities etc !
Italy gov not strict enough in locked down of cities, this cost thousands lives - many deads have no proper funeral

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 4988
Joined: Wed Jul 04,
Total Likes:96

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by Estéema » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am

Yes. I read abt the poor Italian who quarantined with wife but wife eventually died in apt & he called for ambulance to help moved her but nobody came. Poor chap. He cried that Italian govt abandoned them.

Post Reply