KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:156

Re: Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Post by lee_yl » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:24 am

Midgoo wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:27 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 pm
I just googled, so many common rooms pop out for rent at $500 / month (probably still can nego). Some are just a 5 mins walk from MRT. Common rooms‘ rental usually cheaper than renting a whole unit.

According to my hairdresser who co-shares a common room with her cousin, utilities bills aren’t that exp as most if the time they aren’t at home (work 6 days a week) and they don’t cook, of cos they don’t have aircon as well.

For those who think dormitories are good, ask yourself, if you have to spend $300/mth per pax, you prefer to rent a common room in HDB with a friend/cousin or sleep on a bunk bed with 20 strangers in a FW dormitory?
Google does not explain you many things in the rental market. I used to be a tenant for more than 10 years before I got my own HDB, so I have some experience. It's not very transparent but it is there. It is called 'racial profiling'. It is very hard for a worker from South Asia countries to go and find a rental place. Not to mention, imagine all the 300k workers in dorms now go out and rent HDB flat, the price will surely go up by a lot.

There are always a lot of ways save cost. However, the person must be knowledgeable enough (and sometimes lucky). We cannot expect those people coming from some poorer countries and probably less education to come to a totally new place and know how to live best there. If you go and ask parents in Singapore who sending their kids to overseas to study. You can see that most of them would rather spend more money for them to stay in hostel than let them find a place outside unless they know that place very well or have a property/relative there.

As for whether the current cost of the dorm should deserve better condition, I cannot comment cause I am not running the dorm. I hope MOM will look into that and make sure the workers are not abused/took advantage by the dorms or their employers.
I think you miss my point entirely.

I am not asking those FWs to look to rent a common room in HDB once they arrive in SG. In the first place, non-Malaysian FWs on work permit in certain sectors like construction, are not allowed to rent HDBs on their own.

I am just puzzled why the employer of a FW has to pay $250-$300 for a bunk in a dorm, whereas for the same amount, the living conditions could be much better staying outside the dorms

While it may be a deliberate policy by the government to wean industries off cheap foreign low-skill labour, the policy vacuum in terms of enforcement and oversight of these purpose-built dorms result in profit-mongering by dorm operators while sanitary conditions of the dorms were neglected which created the stage for the perfect storm during Covid-19. How much did our economy suffer as a result of a policy oversight?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:156

Post by lee_yl » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:55 am

Estéema wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:44 pm
Midgoo wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:27 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 pm
I just googled, so many common rooms pop out for rent at $500 / month (probably still can nego). Some are just a 5 mins walk from MRT. Common rooms‘ rental usually cheaper than renting a whole unit.

According to my hairdresser who co-shares a common room with her cousin, utilities bills aren’t that exp as most if the time they aren’t at home (work 6 days a week) and they don’t cook, of cos they don’t have aircon as well.

For those who think dormitories are good, ask yourself, if you have to spend $300/mth per pax, you prefer to rent a common room in HDB with a friend/cousin or sleep on a bunk bed with 20 strangers in a FW dormitory?
Google does not explain you many things in the rental market. I used to be a tenant for more than 10 years before I got my own HDB, so I have some experience. It's not very transparent but it is there. It is called 'racial profiling'. It is very hard for a worker from South Asia countries to go and find a rental place. Not to mention, imagine all the 300k workers in dorms now go out and rent HDB flat, the price will surely go up by a lot.

There are always a lot of ways save cost. However, the person must be knowledgeable enough (and sometimes lucky). We cannot expect those people coming from some poorer countries and probably less education to come to a totally new place and know how to live best there. If you go and ask parents in Singapore who sending their kids to overseas to study. You can see that most of them would rather spend more money for them to stay in hostel than let them find a place outside unless they know that place very well or have a property/relative there.

As for whether the current cost of the dorm should deserve better condition, I cannot comment cause I am not running the dorm. I hope MOM will look into that and make sure the workers are not abused/took advantage by the dorms or their employers.
You’ve hit the nail right there. I was too tired yday to highlight this point, after a long harvesting & seeding day.

The very reason why dorms were built was Singaporeans cannot except FWs living amongst time. There was a time when FWs were not accustomed to our culture & practices, news reports were highlighting all the drinking sessions at Taman Jurong void decks, peeing & chatting and residents expressed unhappiness & concerns esp when they’ve young kids returning in the evenings walking thro void decks. Then there we’re hoo haas near Tai Hwan Gardens where plans for dormitories were rejected & concerns of devaluing properties there. Dorms were then up for operators to bid & run according to security stands. Many operators hv to plan for FWs mix as not all are fr one country - they’ve Bangladeshis, Indiana, Chinese, Mynmarese, Thais, etc.

I’m still curious the numbers fr FW Hv not gone down to 2-digits & wondering if it’s still due to habits & culture.

Moving fwd, whatever govt do, eyers need to 配合 But it’ll not be easy with bz having CB measures that clip their operations. Future, costs will go up & passed on to higher bldg costs, higher product/services costs for any jobs that requires FWs labour under the sun.

It is in fact a good thing we hv designated dormitories esp when there’s a pandemic, we can ringfence fast. There are still many FWs amongst the community, tho numbers are far less & not easy to ring fence. I was at a farm at LCK picking up veg seedlings & saw at least 20 (Bangladeshi & Mynmar) workers there & they all lived on the farm premises. There some in pockets of HDB housing & pte residences (illegally) esp when there are bldg works. Every eyer will try to reduce costs of engaging & housing workers. I’m sure by now, Dorm operators Wld hv stepped up their gigs as they’ve benefitted much Fe operating profits & recovered initial setup costs. Most importantly, they wld know the seriousness of setting up clean & hygienic environment owise their licenses will be at risks.
I don’t have the figures but I think at least half the FWs in SG don’t stay inside dorms and are actually residing in outside premises, usually rental units sourced by their companies in HDBs/old private apartment).

As we can see from the daily MOH report, we have hundreds of FWs residing inside dorms being tested positive on a daily basis VS only a handful for those FWs residing outside of dorms are tested positive.

The govt has admitted that the FWs residing inside dorms are in an environment closely packed (no possibility of social distancing) which helps to spread infectious diseases fast. Covid-19 is not the first epidemic in the dorms, there was an earlier chickenpox epidemic, which is why there’s urgency to test and separate the infected FWs from the healthy ones in order to contain the spread of virus. Not to mention to confine the FWs to the dorms to quarantine them there.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:70

Post by HVR » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:36 pm

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... -singapore

The world was caught off guard by covid virus, the world has race against developing covid vaccines. Now, right here in SG, the clinical trial involving 100 volunteers will begin soon! We can defeat this virus with everyone pulling in one direction. In this battle, many measures can be improved but during the battle, there is no benefit of hindsight. No countries in the world has been spared and many countries once lauded for having gold standard, including SG, has seen 2nd or even 3rd wave. Many outbreaks occurred at unconventional places such as cruise ships, air craft carrier, nursing home, dormitories, places of worship, etc. It is with increasing accumulated knowledge that we know covid is extremely contagious and any close communal living is susceptible to high degree of the virus spread.

After months of battle, we are beginning to see and hear more positive development and news. Community cases remaining low; we have finished screening all FWs in the dorms; many workers are able to resume work; disruption to life has been minimised; developing and testing of vaccine; students can see their peers in school; and so on and so on. Hopefully, whatever measures in place will continue to keep the virus at bay until the vaccine is developed.

Our main source of infections, the FWs, so happy for them and credit must be given to all involved! They have managed to receive their pays during lockdown and thus, alleviate much of their mental stress as they have families to feed at home. Improvements are being made to make their living condition much better and errant dorms management who doesn't meet operation standard should be taken to task. Pre covid, their living condition is already better than many of their regional peers, it is heartening to see that that did not stop relevant stakeholders striving to continue making their living environment better. If this source of infection can remain free of future infection, it will be great boost to our fight. Another 'weapon' to fight covid is speedy trace of close contact of positive cases, in this regard, hopefully everyone is open to the use of SafeEntry, TT app and TT token.

HVR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:70

Post by HVR » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:42 pm

https://www.facebook.com/inthenow/video ... 751996284/

Please wear mask too to protect everyone especially if we are sick.

flyflyfly
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by flyflyfly » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:01 pm

[Lest We Forget] Our CV19 Story: When Complacency Meets Indecisiveness; S'pore & Singaporeans Suffer

By Savantrainmaker

I was quite appalled by the recent spate of white-washing (no puns intended) surrounding Singapore’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic

And particularly peeved with national leaders patting themselves unashamedly on their own backs. LHL as the most senior political leader in charge had the audacity to comment that “our 4G leaders have done very well”.

Of all people, he should be stepping forward to give an honest critique of how his 4G underlings had performed and how Singapore could learn and do better next time!

Where is the humility, Mr. Prime Minister?

Viruses and pandemics do not respect the money that the LHL’s administration or any subsequent governments are able to throw at it.

Juxtaposed with the rest of the four Asian tigers and their economies that have done so much better this time round in 2020, Singapore and Singaporeans need to deeply reflect upon why we have went from hero during the handling of the 2003 SARS crisis to absolutely zero some 17 years later.

If Singapore isn't willing to take heed of her massive failings in this COVID-19 ordeal, she will find herself in a far more precarious position when the next pandemic or crisis rears its head.

In this light I decided to pen my own opinions and share them publicly.

These are by the way based on facts that you can independently verify if you bothered to.

You are free to disagree with them, but I am entitled to them.

If new facts that will lead to a vastly different conclusion are presented, I am open to altering my narrative.

The essay you are about to read is about 15,000 words in length. I make no apologies for it being so long because they were just simply too many missteps and U-turns to revisit.

More at https://tinyurl.com/yashkhlf (scroll down to download essay)