BEWARE! Middle-Aged Man Observing SJI and RI Schoolboys

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

BEWARE! Middle-Aged Man Observing SJI and RI Schoolboys

Postby Singaporean » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

Singaporean wrote:
involvedparent wrote:Hi parents

my son is sec 1 SJI. takes 156 from RTC bus-stop. he noticed a middle-aged man (we now know as bishan gay) eyeballing him 2 weeks ago at that bus stop and in the bus- approx 6pm. saw him again this week similar time, but this time that fella when getting down the bus (my son was standing near the door) came near to my son and blew air into his head/hair. scared the daylights out of my son. today my son saw him from afar. and noted that that fella sat at the bus-stop and did not take 3 consecutive 156 buses (took the 4th 156 bus) and got worried that that fella is stalking him. pls take note. he should not be allowed to make our children feel threatened, even though i checked with the police and found out that no offence is deemed committed if there is no physical contact. :x

Dear involvedparent

My son is also in Sec 1 SJI. Although my son currently does not take the bus to/from school, I was shocked and alarmed to read your post above. I feel that our school children should be protected and not have to be traumatised just to go to/from school. As a parent, I too felt upset that when you checked with the Police, it seemed that nothing could be done.

So I wrote a note to SJI Management as well as copied it to the Police (SPF). I also copied it to RI as I had read from the RI thread that this man stalks the lower Secondary schoolboys too. I am glad to say that SJI, after its own investigation, determined that this is a serious matter and have been very proactive about it - they made a Police report. SJI Management mentioned that they would also warn their students about this matter when school reopens. RI replied that they had also made a Police Report some time ago.

From what I understand, the Police is looking into this matter and are considering possible suggestions like patrolling the bus stop outside Raffles Town Club. In fact, the understanding that I was given is that the police will act when a formal complaint is made by anyone directly harrassed by this man. So, I don't know who gave you the impression that "no offence is deemed committed". Isn't psychological fear a form of harrassment too? Especially when it is felt by a child who feels helpless to protect himself from an adult who is harrassing him.

Thus, if you are willing to make a report, more CAN be done to protect your child and the school children at that particular bus stop.

You have a real concern since your son takes the bus daily and is subjected to this fear on a regular basis. (I had googled some key words about this man, and I was alarmed too.) I suggest that you report this particular incident to the SJI Asst Principal Mr Dominic Ang as he is in charge of students and hence also their safety. I had liaised with Mr Ang on this matter and I know he is concerned as well.

If you or other affected parents need more info, or more discussion on this, just write me a Private Message (PM). I will be glad to help.

From A Very Concerned Singaporean Parent

Dear Parents:

I had earlier posted the above reply at the SJI thread in response to a specific post. However, as it is probably of concern to all parents of boys in Sec 1/ Sec 2 of SJI, RI and also possibly CHS and HCI, I decided to post this as a new topic to caution parents – especially if your son takes the bus outside Raffles Town Club, or hangs out at Junction 8 KFC / McDonalds after school or before MOELC Language class, or takes the MRT from Bishan Station.

Background

I first read about this man at kiasuparents forum while browsing the SJI and RI threads:

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... ht=#130136
involvedparent wrote:hi. chanced across this thread. my son is sec 1 SJI. noticed this guy eyeballing him 2 weeks ago. this week noticed same guy on the same bus (156). son was standing near bus exit door. this bishan gay guy when exiting bus came up to my son and blew air into my son's hair. scared the daylights out of him. today, my son noticed this guy from afar, and watched him at the RTC bus-stop but bishan gay guy did not take 3 consecutive bus and my son got worried that this guy is stalking him. called me from school that i had to go fetch him. what bishan gay does is his problem, but if he threatens our children, then something should be done.

(And another similar post by involvedparent at the SJI thread.)

Also read this post:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... ht=#114131
MJ2010 wrote:Does anyone know of a guy who likes to shoot videos of boys in school uniform at Bishan MRT station. He is nicknamed Bishan Gay. He seems to be rather popular among the RI boys. Not only my DS and his friends mentioned about him (they say him weird), I am appalled when one of my son's primary school friend joined his facebook as a fan. This morning my son sms saying that his classmate bluetoothed a photos of Bishan Gay. Well, from the facebook, he looks like a 40 yr old uncle. Maybe he just want to be friendly or what. Anyway, I hope he pose no harm to other kids.

Curious to know more about this middle-aged man who observes SJI and RI Schoolboys, the encounters of secondary school students (mainly boys) with the man, and their feelings about their encounters, I googled “Bishan Gay” - which is the moniker given by the students themselves.

I was alarmed at the many pages of google results. The man has been traumatizing many students for many years. And not just RI and SJI students as I had previously thought. Blogs and forum discussions by students show that young secondary boys from Catholic High School and Hwa Chong Institution are also not spared.

When reported singly, the man in question just comes across as an eccentric middle-aged man who likes to look at and smile at boys. However, one blog documented that a police report had been lodged by a student a few years ago, with a photo of schoolboys being questioned by the Police, and another two blogs documented that the man liked to touch and stroke boys’ heads. As a parent, I think this is unacceptable behaviour by a stranger.

Sometimes as parents and authorities entrusted with the responsibility of looking after our young, we do not pay enough attention to their concerns….until it is too late. How many of us read students’ blogs and go through online forums and sometimes inane chatter to get a sense of what troubles our children?

Seen through the eyes (and blogs/forum discussions) of many secondary school boys over many years of encounters, and reading their words of fear and trepidation, this becomes a more disturbing phenomenon. There are of course the few schoolboys that take it as a dare to sit with the man in question, or chat with him. But most report fear, apprehension and even disgust in ther blogs and online discussions. Some boys “hide behind trees” at the bus stop when they see him. Is this situation one that we want to tolerate? Do we want to send a signal to other like-minded men that such behaviour towards our school boys are tolerated by the society? Don’t our students have the right to take the public bus and go to fast food joints and shopping centres without having to feel unsafe and even traumatized?

That was why I wrote to SJI, RI and the Police. It was to alert them to this situation – a situation that not only us parents, but the whole Singapore society should be concerned with.

Hence I have decided to write this as a separate post topic to warn parents of lower secondary school boys….. BEWARE!

UPDATE 1 (24 Mar 2010):
For replies by SJI, RI and the Police, please see:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... ht=#145635

UPDATE 2 (26 Mar 2010):
Involvedparent made a Police Report as his son had encountered this man again, and it was clear that the man had intentionally stalked and disturbed his son. Please see:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... ht=#147077

If your child is stalked or harassed by this man, he can call the Police at this number: 1800-2559999.

This is the hotline of the Kampong Java NPC (near SJI), and the Commanding Officer there is fully aware of this situation. I suggest you give the contact number to your child – just in case.
Last edited by Singaporean on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Singaporean
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby vlim » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:22 pm

just wondering did any parent make police report of this pervetic man :?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tutormum » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:08 pm

I heard from DS3 friend who is in sec 1 RI that he is aware of this man (don't know if it's the same one) for some time. This man took his photos while he was on the train. A lady was curious and asked DS3 friend if the man took her photos or his. :rant: DS3 friend was sure that the man took his photos and the lady was :shock:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Singaporean » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:32 pm

tutormum wrote:I heard from DS3 friend who is in sec 1 RI that he is aware of this man (don't know if it's the same one) for some time. This man took his photos while he was on the train. A lady was curious and asked DS3 friend if the man took her photos or his. :rant: DS3 friend was sure that the man took his photos and the lady was :shock:

From what I've read from the blogs and forum discussions, this man always takes photos of Sec 1 / Sec 2 boys who are in shorts. Really scary for the boys, and scary for us as parents.

Singaporean
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Muffins » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm

vlim wrote:just wondering did any parent make police report of this pervetic man :?

I shudder to think if this man came to the ACS(I) part of Singapore, as all of us HAVE to wear shorts....

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm

tutormum wrote:I heard from DS3 friend who is in sec 1 RI that he is aware of this man (don't know if it's the same one) for some time. This man took his photos while he was on the train. A lady was curious and asked DS3 friend if the man took her photos or his. :rant: DS3 friend was sure that the man took his photos and the lady was :shock:

I :pray: DS3s friend is OK..... :nailbite:

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Singaporean wrote:From what I've read from the blogs and forum discussions, this man always takes photos of Sec 1 / Sec 2 boys who are in shorts. Really scary for the boys, and scary for us as parents.

Scary for everyone. That must be very uncomfortable, someone taking photos of you when you don't want them to... :nailbite:

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 pm

This man preys on goody good shoes students. If these students were ah beng type, think he dares?

Everyday, there are pple dying, why such a person still so long life :x

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JonC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Kick this babok in between the legs.

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby auntieM » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Someone should 'film' him in the act and post his pictures on Stomp, newspapers....not only to shame him, but to create an awareness...
Then alot of people would be looking out for him :P

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time