Need advice : relocating to Singapore School

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Need advice : relocating to Singapore School

Postby new-at-katong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi, finally we will be moving back to Singapore. My kids have not attended Singapore school system nor have they lived in Singapore save for the ocassional holidays. They will enter Pri P1/P4. My questions :
Should I make appointment to see the Principal or VP and form teachers to introduce the kids to them and to get to know more the dos and don'ts and to find out if they have any help for new kids to be assimilated. I dont even know if it is appropriate to even ask for appointment. Dont want to create a bad impression before even arriving in Singapore.

Anybody with similar experience ?

rgds

new-at-katong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm

You need to understand the terms and conditions via MOE for admission to start:
http://www.moe.edu.sg/education/admissi ... -exercise/

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mommyNg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Welcome back new-at-katong!

I am assuming that both your kids already have space in Singapore primary schools (i.e. they are registered and on leave of absence). In that case, first, you have to inform the school (office) that you are coming back. Second you need to find out which classes your kids are in. Then I think it is a good idea that you either call or email the P/VP AND form teacher (this latter one is important) to inform them that your kids are coming back, introduce the kids to them and get to know more about the school system & class requirements BEFORE they actually start school. Best if you can bring the kids around the school and give them a tour BEFORE they start school. Where are you coming back from? In Singapore, there are SOOO many students in a school that sometimes returning new students can feel overwhelmed (especially compared to some overseas schools where student population is much smaller).

I'm sure if you contact them politely, it should be ok. I suppose the "bad impression" part is if you *demand* them for this and that. You may also try to get the PTA (Parents-Teachers-Association) or PSG (Parents Support Group) contact and find out more "informal" information from fellow parents. Best if you already know some parents from that school.

Oh, and one more thing. I suppose you are coming back mid-term (i.e. starting school in Term 3). This timing can be challenging, because current students in the school are already well-adjusted to the school by this time, lessons will be in full-swing the first week, no orientation period, and parents are not supposed to remain in school during school time. Perhaps you can request the form teacher to:

- assign your kid one buddy (or more) for at least 1 week, to orientate the kid around especially where the toilets are (important!), the canteen, the library, the general office, and to help bring your kid back to the classroom after recess (very important)!

- make sure your kid will meet you at the appropriate point at the end of the FIRST day.

- give you any information package or class blogs (some schools do that for every class) regarding the class system (e.g. locker keys, school files & exercise books to bring)

- time-table (also whether there is P.E. on the FIRST day of school so your kid can appropriately)

- ask if you can have special permission to be at school during recess time for the first 1-3 days to help your kids adjust (especially for your P1 kid and especially if your P1 and P4 kids are in different sessions)

If you do not have a space for your kids in Singapore primary schools, then you should follow mummyjoyce's link for further action.

Hope this helps!

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby new-at-katong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Tks to all Mummies for the advices. Yes the kids have LOAS and they will be in different session.
They will enter in Apr which means that it is close to exams for my older child. Thinking whether to postpone till Jul.
Also thinking of applying for waiver of 2nd language for P4, but maybe will decide to take the risk of not applying for waiver. After all Chinese is important. Anyone has experience in this ? We are non chinese speakers at home but the kids have chinese tuition overseas. However, their level is definitely well below average.
Anyone know good Chinese tuition teachers ?

new-at-katong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Cheval » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:57 am

new-at-katong wrote:Tks to all Mummies for the advices. Yes the kids have LOAS and they will be in different session.
They will enter in Apr which means that it is close to exams for my older child. Thinking whether to postpone till Jul.
Also thinking of applying for waiver of 2nd language for P4, but maybe will decide to take the risk of not applying for waiver. After all Chinese is important. Anyone has experience in this ? We are non chinese speakers at home but the kids have chinese tuition overseas. However, their level is definitely well below average.

We were back from France in the middle of 2008. My son was P4 and my daughter P2. While my son attended bilingual class (E-F), my daughter was on a normal French class, thus has forgotten the a few English words learned at kindergarten. None got Chinese tuition when in France. My son attended both MT and HMT but we asked for a waiver. Now both caught up (it was hard work!) and we ask to cancel waiver for my son, now P6. In your case, I guess the issue is you would depend totally on tuition. My 2 cents.

Cheval
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby peterch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:42 am

new-at-katong wrote:Tks to all Mummies for the advices. Yes the kids have LOAS and they will be in different session.

Hi, my DS just started P4 this year..... so much to catch up for Chinese MT. We are not chinese speaking family either, after 3 months, he is quite on track although it is still a long way to go.

I agree with Cheval, they had to depend on tuition totally... and with parents support too...... please check the KSP forum discussion on Teaching Chinese at Home. It helps me a lot :?:

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time