Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

No increase in bus/mrt fare for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

"INCLUSIVENESS" is KEY

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:36 am

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/transport/story/135million-boost-fund-helps-needy-commuters-ptc-20150122

Another $13.5 million will be added to the Public Transport Fund this year to help needy commuters.

Yesterday, the Public Transport Council (PTC) said $7.5 million will be drawn from the fund to finance 250,000 public transport vouchers worth $30 each.

The money comes from public transport operators SBS Transit and SMRT, which will give $5.5 million and $8 million respectively - or 25 per cent and 30 per cent of their additional fare revenue.

First given out in 2004, public transport vouchers are distributed to needy Singaporeans to help them cope with fare hikes.

Last year, 207,000 of these vouchers were given out, of which 180,000 were redeemed.

Year-round applications for public transport vouchers start from March 16 this year. Residents can visit community centres to apply for the vouchers, which will be sent out from mid-April.

>>Wah, if I'm illiterate, I won't know. Someone from RC must inform me?

Application letters will be sent directly to beneficiaries of ComCare programmes as well.

In addition, concession fares for low-wage workers and the disabled remain unchanged, the PTC said.

Low-wage workers now get a fare discount of 15 per cent under the Workfare Transport Concession scheme introduced in July last year.

People with disabilities get a 25 per cent fare discount, and do not have to pay additional fares for distances beyond 7.2km.

They can also apply for a $60 monthly concession pass.

Since last July, nearly 200,000 low-wage workers and 10,000 people with disabilities have benefited from the two concession schemes.

Mr Ng Wei Liang, who is visually and hearing impaired, used to spend $100 on transport every month. The 27-year-old now spends about half that amount after he started using a concession pass for the disabled last July, and said he does not have to top up his card as often as before.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: No increase in bus/mrt fare for kids

Postby floppy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:38 am

Having helped our G spin stories for many years. I'm quite sure this fare raise should have been better spinned... I mean... communicated (credit to the Straits Times for trying their best).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:36 pm

floppy wrote:Having helped our G spin stories for many years. I'm quite sure this fare raise should have been better spinned... I mean... communicated (credit to the Straits Times for trying their best).

Local media didn't spin for them; they gave a pretty straight-fwd coverage with some infographics to enable readers to understand better. Somewhat 'loyal' to the media release if u scrutinise, EXCEPT that a couple of sharper editors picked the much dreaded word "hike"/"increase" for their headlines to catch eyeballs.

http://mothership.sg/2015/01/6-ways-the-public-transport-council-and-ministry-of-transport-try-to-shield-you-from-the-bad-news/

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:05 pm

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ikid » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 pm

pirated wrote:Image

"$ comes from transport operators to subsidize the needy", but $ is from the commuters paying higher fare, so rightfully, should say fellow citizens pay higher fares to subsidize fellow citizens!

So much profit made, yet still need to pay higher fare. :frustrated:

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alng » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:05 am

Problem of public transportation operated by a private company. Public interests first or profit first?

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:08 am

alng wrote:Problem of public transportation operated by a private company. Public interests first or profit first?

die die must rank, then I guess is profit 1st. There are shareholders to answer.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:22 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
alng wrote:Problem of public transportation operated by a private company. Public interests first or profit first?

die die must rank, then I guess is profit 1st. There are shareholders to answer.

Especially when one of the shareholders is the government. Government's role - public interests first or profit first?

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:22 am

alng wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:

Especially when one of the shareholders is the government. Government's role - public interests first or profit first?

Profit first lah! Then kpi achieved then get high pay high bonuses approved by parliament !

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kychua » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:37 pm

alng wrote:Profit first lah! Then kpi achieved then get high pay high bonuses approved by parliament !

No. 1 govt...no. 1 in sucking money!

kychua
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres