Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

No increase in bus/mrt fare for kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: No increase in bus/mrt fare for kids

Postby floppy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
3Boys wrote:
$14.3 million profit on a revenue of $951 million (1.5% margin)? How pathetic, barely breaking even. Thanks to pirated for the clarifying stats, very clearly showing that SBS are not profiteering.

I'm not sure how you derive the conclusion that SBS is not profiteering just because its profit margin is 1.5%. Even a lot of larger MNCs commonly have profit margin below 2%, some even having deficits.

The industry I work in operates on a profit margin averaging below 1% over a 10/20-year period (consolidation will probably raise it to around 2.5% for these couple of years :rahrah: ).

Frankly, I have yet to hear anyone telling us that we are not profiteering. I'm quite glad to see someone post that :rotflmao:

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 pm

3Boys wrote:
pirated wrote:SBS Transit, Singapore's largest bus operator, said on Tuesday (10 Feb) it earned S$14.3 million in 2014, up from S$11.2 million in 2013, as revenue climbed 12.2 per cent to S$951 million.
- CNA/xk

$14.3 million profit on a revenue of $951 million (1.5% margin)? How pathetic, barely breaking even. Thanks to pirated for the clarifying stats, very clearly showing that SBS are not profiteering.

Hmmm...if I read correctly, pirated believes they are profiteering. He is against the fare hike;) :evil:

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
3Boys wrote:
pirated wrote:SBS Transit, Singapore's largest bus operator, said on Tuesday (10 Feb) it earned S$14.3 million in 2014, up from S$11.2 million in 2013, as revenue climbed 12.2 per cent to S$951 million.
- CNA/xk

I'm not sure how you derive the conclusion that SBS is not profiteering just because its profit margin is 1.5%. Even a lot of larger MNCs commonly have profit margin below 2%, some even having deficits.

Which MNC do you know that operate on margins of lower than 2% regularly? How long does a private MNC that operates on regular deficits stay in business? I'd say sack the board and management in both cases, or just forget about being a business.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm

jetsetter wrote:
3Boys wrote:
- CNA/xk

Hmmm...if I read correctly, pirated believes they are profiteering. He is against the fare hike;) :evil:

Is that so? :evil:

For a moment I thought the opposite, for which reasonable person would assume that a $14M profit on $900M+ of revenue was unreasonable and cruel?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:50 pm

3Boys wrote:Which MNC do you know that operate on margins of lower than 2% regularly? How long does a private MNC that operates on regular deficits stay in business? I'd say sack the board and management in both cases, or just forget about being a business.

3Boys,

off the top of my head I can list Amazon, Sony, LG, and Panasonic. You can easily check their financial data online by googling 'Company name + net profit margin'. Those bigger ones like Samsung and Apple of course are the one more fortunate to enjoy double digit profit margin in recent years, but there were years their profit margin were in single digits too. , If they are on deficit, they will obviously start trimming their workforce first; board and management are normally the last to go.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Dreamaurora wrote:
3Boys wrote:Which MNC do you know that operate on margins of lower than 2% regularly? How long does a private MNC that operates on regular deficits stay in business? I'd say sack the board and management in both cases, or just forget about being a business.

3Boys,

off the top of my head I can list Amazon, Sony, LG, and Panasonic. You can easily check their financial data online by googling 'Company name + net profit margin'. Those bigger ones like Samsung and Apple of course are the one more fortunate to enjoy double digit profit margin in recent years, but there were years their profit margin were in single digits too. , If they are on deficit, they will obviously start trimming their workforce first; board and management are normally the last to go.

Of that list, Amazon are the only one I know that deliberately keep their margins very thin, at great cost to their employees. The consumer electronics guys are not there by choice, they are suffering from commoditisation of their goods.

Sony and LG can shut factories, what if SBS starts to cut unprofitable routes? Acceptable?

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:38 pm

3Boys wrote:
Dreamaurora wrote:

3Boys,

Of that list, Amazon are the only one I know that deliberately keep their margins very thin, at great cost to their employees. The consumer electronics guys are not there by choice, they are suffering from commoditisation of their goods.

Sony and LG can shut factories, what if SBS starts to cut unprofitable routes? Acceptable?

Yes, those companies are not earning a lot of profit because of external circumstances. It's the same with SBS. I am just pointing out that one cannot draw a correlation between net profit margin and profiteering.

Anyway not the first time SBS cut unprofitable route. Remember the outcry when SBS cut off many bus services that ran parallel to NEL? Whether it's acceptable or not it does not matter because the commuters have no other options. I am a realist. I am under no illusion that the public transport companies are here to make our lives better. Yes, we may argue that we really do not have choice as we need them for essential services, therefore we are entitled some 'voice' in this issue. But that is wishful thinking at best.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Recess Time

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres