where to retrieve old newspaper articles?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

where to retrieve old newspaper articles?

Postby vlim » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:15 pm

hi my ds would like to know where can one retrieve old newspaper articles/news? National library? He need this info for his assignment :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: where to retrieve old newspaper articles?

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:20 pm

vlim wrote:hi my ds would like to know where can one retrieve old newspaper articles/news? National library? He need this info for his assignment :wink:

Yes, national library has the records. My son needed the info for a project many years back too, when the national library was still at it's former location.

The more info you have about the article that you are looking for, the better, eg date of article, key words etc.

Ask the staff, they should be able to help.

Postby vlim » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:24 pm

25hourmaid wrote:
vlim wrote:hi my ds would like to know where can one retrieve old newspaper articles/news? National library? He need this info for his assignment :wink:

Yes, national library has the records. My son needed the info for a project many years back too, when the national library was still at it's former location.

The more info you have about the article that you are looking for, the better, eg date of article, key words etc.

Ask the staff, they should be able to help.

thks 25hourmaid :D :D ...i also just found the answer by google search...
Where to retrieve old newspaper articles?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case u are not aware and u are interested in reading some old articles published in newspapers (English, Chinese, Malay,...), u may go to National Library, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library, level 11 to search thru their microfilm collections. Free of charge. u only pay if u want to print out.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 pm

During the very old days when I was still a student...this was already available in National Library on microfiche....
I feel so pai sey sharing this because it has existed as long as slice bread....:tongue:

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:45 pm

vlim wrote:thks 25hourmaid :D :D ...i also just found the answer by google search...
Where to retrieve old newspaper articles?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case u are not aware and u are interested in reading some old articles published in newspapers (English, Chinese, Malay,...), u may go to National Library, Lee Kong Chian Reference Library, level 11 to search thru their microfilm collections. Free of charge. u only pay if u want to print out.

Thanks, vlim, at least the next time I know where to search if I have to go to the new National Library.

Postby Andaiz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:25 pm

ks2me wrote:During the very old days when I was still a student...this was already available in National Library on microfiche....
I feel so pai sey sharing this because it has existed as long as slice bread....:tongue:

hehe, ks2me, I also had the microfische experience.

Believe it's now burnt into CD format already! :wink: But the NL should have. Else can get them on ST online or BT online if that's the publication you're after.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:54 pm

You can go to any NLB branch and ask them for help in retrieving the articles. I think you can only print them out at the libraries for a minimal fee. Some years ago, we had to peer at tiny fonts on microfilm. Now, it's all been digitised.

Here's the announcement about this service:
http://www.nlb.gov.sg/Corporate.portal? ... ssreleases

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time