Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Choosing Piano Schools And Teachers

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Re: All About Choosing Piano Schools And Teachers

Postby Dreamaurora » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 am

doomedge wrote:Hello, I am looking for a piano teacher for my 3 year old son.

1. Teacher must be willing to travel to my place near Clementi (postal code 595001)
2. Leisure learning only; not interested in sending my boy for exams
3. I don't mind if the teacher only has a Grade 8 cert, but you must be able to connect with young kids
4. My son is available on weekdays (5pm to 8pm) and weekends (before 8pm)

PM me if interested. Thanks!

To do one to one piano lesson at 3-5 years old, you will need a specialized teacher with a properly developed curriculum to do it. And your son would need to be more advanced also compared to his peers and supervised personally by you during lessons and practice sessions.

If above conditions were not met, I would suggest you that you send him for a music appreciation class first.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sweelysh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 pm

:rahrah: Like a lot of others have said - it definitely helps having a teacher but it's not 100% mandatory. The awesome thing about learning on your own is that you can devote much more than 2-3 hours of your time on a daily basis.

Besides, it's less pricey. Personally, my eldest daughter felt she was getting nowhere with all the different YouTube channels though until she tried Piano in 30 Days. This is the one: http://1monthpiano.com

I think following a structured course like this one is the way to go, you can learn for free on sites like Youtube but it’s all over the place and you’ll mostly be learning specific songs rather than techniques and methods that can accelerate your learning. A step by step approach is better than just learning random songs IMO. Good luck learning the piano people! :)

sweelysh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ZLWilliam » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 am

My wife changed our kids' piano teachers several times. The first one was Ms Tay, elderly piano teacher who is very impatient with our kids and even used a plastic ruler to hit our kids when we are not around. Our maid saw it once.

The second teacher was Ms Aishah, very patient but could not get our boys to like piano. She could not even get our boys to sit at the piano for more than 15 mins without the help of our maid or ourselves.

The third was Ms Wu, who is always "sick" on raining days, or "parents sick" on days she does not feel like coming to our place. She took so many "sick leave" that she could not even replace the number of lessons for our kids and had to refund us the money.

Eventually, my wife and I came to a conclusion: private teachers who travel to students' houses probably are not good and so they could not find their own students or gain loyalty from past students to follow up with them. That was what we though, or so... (no offence to the teachers out here, just raising my own opinions)

When we got our fourth teacher, Mr Choo, a very pleasant teacher who is not calculative with the time he overspent on our kids at his place, we thought this is it - a teacher that we will not change finally. He holds a Master Degree and he charges very reasonable. Then came the bad news, our kids did not pass the ABRSM piano exams. We wasted the money for the exams and the lessons. It was not just one kid. We have 3 kids... Our daughter was always doing well by the way... We wondered what happened there. Also, Mr Choo said he does not teach theory so no theory exams for our kids...

We just recently got our fifth teacher, Mrs Zee, a few months back during the school holidays. She is very pleasant, and like Mr Choo, she is not calculative with the time she overspent with our kids. She charges very reasonable (cheaper than Mr Choo) and she holds a Master Degree in Piano and Violin. She was highly recommended to us by our son's Music Elective Program teacher in his school. According to the teacher in his school, Mrs Zee only takes students who pass her "audition" as she wants to maintain her record of 100% passes and 90% distinction. At first, I was a bit reluctant and told my wife just send our kids to Yamaha, but my wife insisted on sending the kids to her, so we went along with that idea. It is a bit far for us to send the kids to Mrs Zee house as she stays in Boon Keng area (Serangoon area). My wife is still insisting to continue with her as she said she wants the best for our kids. Well, she is good with our kids (especially our active boys) and she allows parents to sit and watch (while waiting for the kid to finish class). Makes us feel like she is transparent and honest with her work.

My wife and I are considering to let Mrs Zee teach our kids violin as well since we heard that she can teach piano, violin and theory. But my concern is the expenses because the figure goes up by a lot if we spend on all 3 kids for all 3 music aspects. I want to know if the outcome will be worth this figure that I am going to spend. Mrs Zee's personal email is: jzlx24h@gmail.com

Anyone here is under Mrs Zee too? If so, what grade are you at and what did you score for your previous graded exam? Care to share? Can private chat me to protect your privacy also.

Thanks...

ZLWilliam
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Dreamaurora » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I just want to say that while exams can be useful to assess students’ competency, they are really just one of the many activites in a student’s musical journey, not the main ultimate goal.

Beside developing a lifelong appreciation for music, I think music learning is a journey of self improvement in which a student can gradually discover what they are capable of. And also make beautiful memories while at it. It is interesting that when I asked adults who had extensive music lessons what they remembered most, what they remembered well were the times they performed well or particular lessons where they felt very inspired to improve. No one really could recall taking their exams, those who did often remembered because of some unpleasant experience.

Dreamaurora
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zac's mum » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:05 pm

:goodpost: I agree with you.

Actually, I do remember my piano exams...and regard them as fondly as I regard my school year-end exams (NOT!) I hope parents get the point.

It is a lifelong enjoyment indeed. I am still loving music today (and enjoying it afresh with my kid). From learning piano, to joining the symphonic band, to learning keyboard & drums, to learning violin, to enjoying DH strumming guitar while we all sing together as a family. To enjoying concerts together, all genres. That’s what sticks and stays with us for life, much more than pure exams.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jeff_Tan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:37 am

FrancisTiffany wrote:
marychua wrote:
Jeff_Tan wrote:Hi! I have two boys, 8 and 6 years old. Wanna find a good and experienced private piano teacher for them. Preferable stay in the East. Any recommendation?

Hi! You may try to find my DD's piano teacher last time. She's very patient and experienced. Heard that many of her students are motivated and have good result in piano exam. :smile: Tel: 91681539 All the best! :imcool:

OMG! I think you are talking about the piano teacher of my two gals. My darlings really love her :rahrah: :hugs: :hugs:

Thank you and another parent. I have just started my boys with Ms Mavis for two lessons. Both of them enjoy the lessons a lot. I think Ms Mavis knows the way how to deal with kids. She is really patient and experienced.

Her location is a bit far away from my place (15 mins drive) but I don't mind to fetch my two boys in one time. :lol:

Thanks a lot again :smile: :smile: :smile:

Jeff_Tan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ozoc79 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a piano teacher to teach my daughter. She’s in P2 and just started on grade 1 this year. Need someone who is able to motivate her and have experience/well versed in teaching graded exams. Must be willing to travel to my place near Bishan Park. Please send details/rates to my email at ozoc_79@yahoo.com
Thank you

ozoc79
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Paulbrad66 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi guys, I am trying to decide for my grandson and granddaughter on which music examination board is better for them (more aligned to the Singapore schools), the ABRSM or the Trinity? They are now in grade 5 ABRSM.

By the way, for those of you looking for a reliable piano or violin teacher, you can email me at paulbrad661@gmail.com. My grandkids’ teacher also taught the MEP program in a secondary school. She’s great, thumbs up no complains from us. Very patient n records our grandkids piano playing so that they could remember what was being taught when they come home. We did consult her on the ABRSM and Trinity examination schools but we just want more opinions to make the final decisions.

Anyone knowledgeable on the two different schools of thoughts/music syllabus? Please share, TY!
Last edited by Paulbrad66 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulbrad66
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Paulbrad66 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:12 pm

And guys, I know the difference between ABRSM and TRINITY exams. I just need to know which is more aligned to the Singapore schools in general. Like which is more in the market in Singapore?

There are no pre-requisite for TRINITY so if TRINITY is more in the Singapore markets, I intend to switch my grandkids to the TRINITY exams.

Need your opinions on this!

Paulbrad66
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zac's mum » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:30 pm

What do u mean by “more in the market”? What are your concerns actually?

Are u asking which one is more recognized by secondary schools when taking in DSA students?

Or do u mean which exam is easier to register for, as in more music schools have practice rooms, exam rooms, more dates/season available for exams?

ABRSM is more common in Singapore, though u can find Trinity exams as well.

I did encounter (when taking up drum lessons) some big music schools were not able to register their students for (my preferred) Trinity/ANZCA drum exams. No approved studio or no qualified teachers sthg like that.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres