All About Violin Classes and Teachers

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.
Angelalim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Violin Classes and Teachers

Post by Angelalim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am

zac's mum wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 pm
norimay wrote:Hi Zac's Mum - may I ask how old was your child when he indicated his interest to learn the violin?
I hear its quite a difficult instrument to learn at a young age
He was 7 then. But it was not his first instrument. He had been learning piano for 4 whole years prior to that.

Well personally I find violin more difficult than piano. But sometimes if there is 默契 (afffinity) between the instrument and the child, that matters a lot too. Young kids (preschoolers) may find it difficult to focus on getting the proper body and hand posture for violin. Or difficult to produce a clear sound on the correct string at the correct time. Compared to piano where you just press the note and ta-da you get the immediate satisfaction of the sound. But to each his own. My boy loves violin much more than piano despite all this logic :lol:
Hai great to heard that , May I know what’s the violin teacher your boy doing with ? Can pm me ? Thank you

Dawn Ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Dawn Ng » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi, I’m looking for violin teacher for my son. Staying at Jurong West, willing to travel to teacher place if is not too far. He started learning violin this year Jan and has music background. Currently doing ARSM piano. Interested please pm me.

jiamer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jiamer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:40 am

Hi, I’m looking for a violin teacher who is willing to travel to my place (east) to teach my 6yr son (no background). pls pm me if any.

Chemt
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Chemt » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi does anyone have any experienced violin teacher to recommend in the west area? Able to travel to my place at Bukit Batok.
I’m an adult, keen to learn beginner violin. I’ve a grade 8 in piano.
Please PM, thanks in advance!

SG Musicians
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by SG Musicians » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:08 pm

SG Musicians is a platform connecting students to music teachers and piano accompanists. As teachers ourselves, we understand the concerns of music students from all walks of life. Hence we undergo a strict screening process to select the most suitable teacher for each student. We also organise recitals for students to gain performing experience.

Our mission is to build a community sharing the joy of music and providing quality music education. Follow us on our social media for interesting articles and practical tips to ace the exams!

☎️ - 90187304/ 91730640
💌 - info@sgmusicians.com.sg

http://sgmusicians.com.sg/
https://facebook.com/SGMusicians1
http://www.instagram.com/sg_musicians

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:04 am

Need some advice from experienced parents and teachers please. How do we know if a violin teacher is good when child is at lower grades? Just because kid is passing grade exam is a good enough gauge?

My sis had a chat recently with some parents. Some said some teachers are better at pushing kid to achieve more, whereas some are very lenient, low expectations.. so even if kid is talented... that talent may only show much later...

If parents are not musically inclined, how can parents tell what is best for kid?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:147

Post by zac's mum » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 am

manorway wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:04 am
Need some advice from experienced parents and teachers please. How do we know if a violin teacher is good when child is at lower grades? Just because kid is passing grade exam is a good enough gauge? - look at the examiner’s comments to see why just passed, not merit nor distinction. What are the weak areas? Child’s fault (eg many mistakes due to lack of practice) or teacher’s fault (eg poor in Aural or Not playing expressively)?

My sis had a chat recently with some parents. Some said some teachers are better at pushing kid to achieve more, whereas some are very lenient, low expectations.. so even if kid is talented... that talent may only show much later... - teachers that “push” may have very strict personalities (eg scolding/criticizing type), is this what the parents meant? Low expectations may mean they zoom through eg Suzuki Book 1 pieces without much coaching, like as long as the child can play the notes correctly, just move on to the next piece. Actually a good teacher will spend extra time on coaching how to play expressively (loud or soft, slowing down near the end, point out where it’s written in the score etc). A good teacher will also spend time “correcting” the child’s body posture or hand posture as these will affect the sound quality if poor habits get ingrained.

If parents are not musically inclined, how can parents tell what is best for kid?
What you’re probably asking is, how to know if a violin teacher is the best one to spur your sis’ child to unleash the full potential?

I think the fit & rapport matters a lot. I also evaluate to see if the teacher proactively suggests new pieces (out of the standard Suzuki pieces) for my child to try. I realized she has her reasons, eg she wants him to learn the fingering for a new key (which she introduces thru pieces instead of just scales), she thinks he will enjoy the faster beat compared to the “next“ Suzuki piece which is a very slow waltz, etc etc. She may not explain her “syllabus” or reasons to the parent, but she has the long term musical development of the child in mind. “Push” a little bit to expand his skills/knowledge when it is time & yet keep the interest. That to me is a good & responsible teacher.

Your sis may be feeling an instinctive parental feeling that the teacher is going thru the motions of rushing the child thru exams & nothing else. If she wants something more, can always switch, trial another one or two or three in the meantime. She may be astounded at the difference in styles. Get the child’s feedback & decide together after that.

manorway
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by manorway » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:32 am

zac's mum wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 am
manorway wrote:
Need some advice from experienced parents and teachers please. How do we know if a violin teacher is good when child is at lower grades? Just because kid is passing grade exam is a good enough gauge? - look at the examiner’s comments to see why just passed, not merit nor distinction. What are the weak areas? Child’s fault (eg many mistakes due to lack of practice) or teacher’s fault (eg poor in Aural or Not playing expressively)?

My sis had a chat recently with some parents. Some said some teachers are better at pushing kid to achieve more, whereas some are very lenient, low expectations.. so even if kid is talented... that talent may only show much later... - teachers that “push” may have very strict personalities (eg scolding/criticizing type), is this what the parents meant? Low expectations may mean they zoom through eg Suzuki Book 1 pieces without much coaching, like as long as the child can play the notes correctly, just move on to the next piece. Actually a good teacher will spend extra time on coaching how to play expressively (loud or soft, slowing down near the end, point out where it’s written in the score etc). A good teacher will also spend time “correcting” the child’s body posture or hand posture as these will affect the sound quality if poor habits get ingrained.

What you’re probably asking is, how to know if a violin teacher is the best one to spur your sis’ child to unleash the full potential?

I think the fit & rapport matters a lot. I also evaluate to see if the teacher proactively suggests new pieces (out of the standard Suzuki pieces) for my child to try. I realized she has her reasons, eg she wants him to learn the fingering for a new key (which she introduces thru pieces instead of just scales), she thinks he will enjoy the faster beat compared to the “next“ Suzuki piece which is a very slow waltz, etc etc. She may not explain her “syllabus” or reasons to the parent, but she has the long term musical development of the child in mind. “Push” a little bit to expand his skills/knowledge when it is time & yet keep the interest. That to me is a good & responsible teacher.

Your sis may be feeling an instinctive parental feeling that the teacher is going thru the motions of rushing the child thru exams & nothing else. If she wants something more, can always switch, trial another one or two or three in the meantime. She may be astounded at the difference in styles. Get the child’s feedback & decide together after that.
Thank you so much Zac's mum for your valuable advice.

My sister cannot play instruments. None of the adults in my family can play.
The issue is one parent thinks it is good to have strict teacher, yet the other parent thinks learning should be fun and teacher should be kind and patient. So a strict teacher may just turn off kid. Sigh.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:02 am

manorway wrote:
Need some advice from experienced parents and teachers please. How do we know if a violin teacher is good when child is at lower grades? Just because kid is passing grade exam is a good enough gauge?

My sis had a chat recently with some parents. Some said some teachers are better at pushing kid to achieve more, whereas some are very lenient, low expectations.. so even if kid is talented... that talent may only show much later...

May I know how old is the child you are asking for?

It is not just about the match between the teacher and the child, it is also about the matching of parents' expectation and the teacher's approach. A strict teacher will not match parents who are taking music as leisure or hobby for the child. A teacher pushing for higher grades and exams will not match parents who just want their children to enjoy learning and appreciate music. On the contrary, parents who are only targeting grade 8 before P6, will not match a teacher who is more concern in bringing the feelings inside the child out through the musical instrument and show the child how to express themselves through the fine ways of making different tones and shades of sounds through the fine movements of our hands and fingers.

What is the parents' definition of talent? To reach highest grade in the shortest time?

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:14

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:16 am

duplicate
Last edited by 6thisnthat9 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.