All About Choosing and Buying Pianos

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.
HasnaN1977
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All About Choosing and Buying Pianos

Post by HasnaN1977 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm

I want to learn the piano but I just to ask what is the difference between piano and keyboard? I already know how to play a keyboard but in piano, I don't have any idea. Hoping you could help me..

Swissclover
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Swissclover » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:19 pm

am looking to get a digital piano, any brands and model recommendations please?

silverfish12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by silverfish12 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:48 am

Hi,

I am planning to buy a 2nd hand piano through a direct seller. Need some advice on what are the steps/procedures for doing so. Since there will not be any receipt/black and white on this kind of transaction, I have some queries on how to go about it. Here are the steps/questions that I could think of.
1. Inspect the piano
2. Upon inspection, if the piano is to my liking and the price is agreeable, do we pay a deposit? If yes, how many %?
3. If the deposit is already paid earlier, do we pay the remaining amount on the day the piano is transported?
4. Can we ask the seller to provide the receipt of the piano if they bought it from a store? Is the seller obliged to give the receipt to us?
If you have experience on this before, do add on to the list.
Thank you.

alleyquit
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by alleyquit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Planning to buying a piano and practice at home.

zadokpiano
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by zadokpiano » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 am

silverfish12 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:48 am
Hi,

I am planning to buy a 2nd hand piano through a direct seller. Need some advice on what are the steps/procedures for doing so. Since there will not be any receipt/black and white on this kind of transaction, I have some queries on how to go about it. Here are the steps/questions that I could think of.
1. Inspect the piano
2. Upon inspection, if the piano is to my liking and the price is agreeable, do we pay a deposit? If yes, how many %?
3. If the deposit is already paid earlier, do we pay the remaining amount on the day the piano is transported?
4. Can we ask the seller to provide the receipt of the piano if they bought it from a store? Is the seller obliged to give the receipt to us?
If you have experience on this before, do add on to the list.
Thank you.
Hi silverfish12,

1. My suggestion is to bring/hire a qualified piano technician or your piano teacher to inspect the piano.

A thorough inspection of a piano must really be a joint effort with a technician, because some crucial parts of the piano, such as the pin block, can be tested only by feel or with special tools, and an overall judgment of the condition of the piano requires some experience.

Price for a consultation/appraisal from a piano technician would cost about $50-80.

2. Recommended not to pay a deposit. Try to steer away if possible. Your good faith is evidenced by the fact that you will book and confirm movers in advance.

But if seller requests for it, pay a small amount about 10% to 30% max with a note to make clear that it is refundable in the event that the transaction fell through

3. Inspect the piano again on the day of pick up first. You can always back out or ask for a price adjustment if you see something you don't like.

Once done, pay the remaining amount the moment the piano is taken away and out of the direct seller's house.

4. You can but it is not necessary. Considering the fact that the store will not do repairs or tunings since the owner of the piano has changed. What matters is that the piano is kept in good condition so that you can resell it at a good price.

Conclusion:
The above option is for buying from a private seller. But if you want to have a peace of mind, you can buy from a reputable second hand piano store, who claims to have restored each used piano to "like new" condition.

These stores are usually several hundred dollars above people's budget because you're basically buying a multi-year warranty, free tunings and repairs, buyback offer etc.

Basically a peace of mind. Cost of delivery is usually included. :smile:

Eric

Phone: (+65) 92766994
Email: cyrus316316@hotmail.com

Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Czeec80 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Now I know what to do when choosing the right piano.. Thank you for all the suggestions here. So many helpful insights. :)