Yamaha Junior Music Course (JMC) - Discussion

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Yamaha Junior Music Course (JMC) - Discussion

Postby smum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:19 am

Any parents have kids attending Yamaha group piano class? My son has been attending Yamaha Junior Course since K1. It's now coming close to 4 year (son now in P2). Will be taking the London theory exam grade 1 end of 2009.

Seem like doing individual class will progress much faster. Read in the forum that some actually achieved London grade 3 in 2 years time! Was wondering if I should switch my son to individual piano class as Yamaha progress seem so slow. What is the difference between Yamaha group piano and individual piano? Any advise? :?

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 pm

At the end of 4 yrs, they will be taking ABRSM grade 1 theory exam and Yamaha grade 9 exam.

Can't compare yamaha group lesson and individual lesson. Reason being yamaha is a group lesson and it is more of music appreciation rather than learning the instrument.

Postby smum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:06 pm

You do have a point on Yamaha is more music appreciation. Guess I should switch to individual lesson if it's the ABRSM that we are aiming for. But my son do love the Yamaha group lesson as created close bonding with the classmates.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:16 pm

You can have both if ur budget allows. I have a no. of students who are still in JMC. This way, i don't have to do aural with them and i can focus more on sight reading and they can progress faster as well.

Postby clarabella » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi all
For aural training, where else can we go other than JMC? I've been told by some parents that it's better to have started at JMC at a young age and continue through the stages, rather than entering later. Is that the case?

Pianojazzy
Can I also ask you about something about finger training? My child's teacher asks us to practise tapping, which we're finding difficult. Is this something that is commonly taught for beginners?

Thanks, everyone.

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Normally for children who start formal piano lesson before the age of 6, the aural skills will not be a problem. Most of them will have a perfect pitch. Again it depends on individual, ie how they are being taught and if they are generally musical or not.

That's why it is good to start as early as possible. That is the reason why there are a lot of music appreciation classes for children as young as 18mths.

Try hanon for tappiing

Postby smum » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 am

Umm... what does aural means? Sorry as music is totally alien to me.

My son start Yamaha at K1 (5 years old). Maybe he does not has the "music" talent. The Yamaha teacher has this exercise where she will play a few notes and the students need to play the same notes. My son normally just guess the notes. Any way to improve this? I think the Yamaha grade exam is testing on this.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 am

Aural is listening, just that what your son is doing in yamaha, listen to what the teacher plays and sing the solfege etc

Postby acforfamily » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:40 pm

After learning YJC, if the child wants to move on to progress to Electone, is there any option other than joining the group classes in Yamaha?

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Miracle Child » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi,

I am totally music/piano illiterate, so I need some help and advice. :?: My son has been attending Yamaha Junior Course since 4 yrs old (he is now 6 yrs old). He enjoys the lessons very much but I think the pace and progress is bit slow. Thought of switching him to individual piano lessons but I have some doubts which hopefully, someone can advise:-

1. Currently, Yamaha teaches aural, oral, reading and playing skills. Will all these skills be taught as well in individual piano lessons as well?

2. Are all the above skills tested for all the piano grades?

3. How are the grade exams conducted? i.e.
(a) If my son takes individual lessons, where does he go for the piano grade exams?
(b) How do we know what pieces will be tested? Are there pre-determined piano pieces that he is to play for each grade?

4. What are the benchmarks that you will use to assess whether a particular piano teacher is good?

5. Any recommendations for
(a) school-based piano courses,
(b) home-based piano teachers?

Thanks.

Miracle Child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama