Yamaha JMC or other music school

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Yamaha JMC or other music school

Postby wobblejelly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:56 pm

My daughter has been enrolled with Yamaha JMC (now in Year 2 Book 4).
I have a son who is turning 4 and I would like to enrol him for piano lessons. Thinking whether to let him follow her sister's footsteps to JMC or to try other music schools.

Here's what causing the dilemna:
- JMC first 2 years need parent to sit in. Currently still sitting in my daughter's class and cannot imagine having to do this twice a week if son is also enrolled.

-JMC progress is slow. After 4 years then start grade 1. Syllabus also different from the ABRSM exams + notes reading is poor since students learn through solfege singing.

NOTE: I did not pull my daughter out of JMC since already invested almost 2 years. Also, teacher is quite good and lessons are fun.

Shall I just 'spread the risks' and let my son try other schools. Perhaps Cristofori (cos after abt 1 year can commence classical piano course and grade 1).

Appreciate any coments.

wobblejelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Yamaha JMC or other music school

Postby Champion » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:50 am

wobblejelly wrote:My daughter has been enrolled with Yamaha JMC (now in Year 2 Book 4).
I have a son who is turning 4 and I would like to enrol him for piano lessons. Thinking whether to let him follow her sister's footsteps to JMC or to try other music schools.

Here's what causing the dilemna:
- JMC first 2 years need parent to sit in. Currently still sitting in my daughter's class and cannot imagine having to do this twice a week if son is also enrolled.

-JMC progress is slow. After 4 years then start grade 1. Syllabus also different from the ABRSM exams + notes reading is poor since students learn through solfege singing.

NOTE: I did not pull my daughter out of JMC since already invested almost 2 years. Also, teacher is quite good and lessons are fun.

Shall I just 'spread the risks' and let my son try other schools. Perhaps Cristofori (cos after abt 1 year can commence classical piano course and grade 1).

Appreciate any coments.

Hi Hi,
Just to share - I was in the same dilemma last year - whether to let my gal continues into JXC after completing the 2 years of JMC. Even she herself was not motivated to move on to the next stage! Therafter I spoke with her teacher who happens to be the same teacher continuing for the JXC. She was telling that usually when a child comes to JXC and is alone without the parent's companion, he/she will learn to be independant and appreciates the class better.

True enough, my gal started JXC in Jan this year and after these 3 months, I can see the improvement and growing enthusiam in playing the music pieces. I used to have to push her to practise on the piano but now she "automatically" will go to the Piano and play for at least 3~4 pieces of songs everyday.

I have a 2nd child who is coming 5 years old in a month's time. Currently there are no vacancies so I have put her on the waiting list for JMC as I prefer weekend morning class.

Hope my sharing helps; and btw may I know which Yamaha Music School is your child currently attending?

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wobblejelly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am

Champion wrote:
Hi Hi,
Just to share - I was in the same dilemma last year - whether to let my gal continues into JXC after completing the 2 years of JMC. Even she herself was not motivated to move on to the next stage! Therafter I spoke with her teacher who happens to be the same teacher continuing for the JXC. She was telling that usually when a child comes to JXC and is alone without the parent's companion, he/she will learn to be independant and appreciates the class better.

True enough, my gal started JXC in Jan this year and after these 3 months, I can see the improvement and growing enthusiam in playing the music pieces. I used to have to push her to practise on the piano but now she "automatically" will go to the Piano and play for at least 3~4 pieces of songs everyday.

I have a 2nd child who is coming 5 years old in a month's time. Currently there are no vacancies so I have put her on the waiting list for JMC as I prefer weekend morning class.

Hope my sharing helps; and btw may I know which Yamaha Music School is your child currently attending?

Hi, my child is with Yamaha at Sengkang branch.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Am glad to hear that your child is progressing well.

After reading many of the other threads in the forum, I realised that I may be hopping way too early onto the band wagon of grading our children . After all, the objective of enrolling my child into the course is simply to let her appreciate music, an opportunity that I never had during my childhood.

I guess along the way I started to become the typical KS and academic driven parent where grading becomes part and parcel of anything we do. I mean, my original intent had deviated from appreciation to grading and higher learning. perhaps it's time to take a step back and just let my child progress and develop her interest.

BTW Champion, is your child using a piano? My child has been using a keyboard and the teacher suggest that it is time to get a piano. I am thinking of an entry level Yamaha (JX109) and upgrade later as my child progresses. Would it suffice?

wobblejelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Champion » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 am

BTW Champion, is your child using a piano? My child has been using a keyboard and the teacher suggest that it is time to get a piano. I am thinking of an entry level Yamaha (JX109) and upgrade later as my child progresses. Would it suffice?[/quote]

Hi Hi,
NIce to read what you have read and am encouraged too because I was in that path before :roll:

We bought the piano for my gal only 4 months ago which also what the teacher has suggested us to do. In fact she was the only one in the JMC last year class without a piano at home and that also prompted us it was the time liao. We have been hesitating all the while partly due to unable to judge whether it is a "good investment" if my gal decides not to continue and the other concern is also the cost of a Yamaha piano.

Finally we decided to drop by at Cristofori showroom @ Bedok Industrial Park. We get this exam model "Miki" - 2nd hand piano Made in Japan but all the parts are all from Yamaha (which the label is carved inside; not visible though :lol: ). So far, I can see that it is a "good investment" because my gal practises on it everyday and my 2nd gal though not "formally" trained, is able to play some simple pieces through the influence of the sister. :wink:

So for now, I will let her finish her 1st year of JXC before letting her to progress to Grade 1 with a private teacher.

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wobblejelly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:06 am

Champion wrote:In fact she was the only one in the JMC last year class without a piano at home and that also prompted us it was the time liao.

We get this exam model "Miki" - 2nd hand piano Made in Japan but all the parts are all from Yamaha (which the label is carved inside; not visible though :lol: ).

Haha, guess what..My gal is also the only one in her class without a piano so that's why we are looking at it.

I'm totally clueless about music let alone about piano. :-(
I read alot about 'exam' models. What is the difference between the entry level and 'exam' models? Must we get a exam model?

BTW, how much did you pay for the preowned piano?
I've been crawling the web and read that some of the 10-15 yrs exam model pianos still cost $4-5K. That's why i tot of buying a new entry level.

wobblejelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Champion » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:15 am

BTW, how much did you pay for the preowned piano?
I've been crawling the web and read that some of the 10-15 yrs exam model pianos still cost $4-5K. That's why i tot of buying a new entry level.[/quote]

We paid $3299 for the 2nd hand piano and the Sales person told us can be used unti Grade 8 exam. MAybe you may like to visit those piano showroom - have a look and you might be able to find one suitable for your child.

Cheers :celebrate:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wobblejelly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 am

Thanks Champion...
Sure, i will shop around before making any committments..

Cheers

wobblejelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby puzzle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 am

Hi,
please advise! my boy is doing YJC year 2 book 4 and i have a few questions here.

1) Is it a norm for the teacher to introduce a new piece of music a week?
Even if the children have not master the earlier pieces ?

2) Should i enrol him to 1 to 1 piano class if my boy concentration level
is relatively low?

Thanks

puzzle
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby i3mum » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 am

Hi puzzle,

I think it is quite normal for teacher to introduce a new pieces of music, but maybe not every week.

My DD is also in 2nd year, book 4. Which branch is your DS in?

For your 2nd question, I can't really help. To me, i find that group lesson is more fun, together with the rest of the friends. Is it possible to go through with him one to one at home?

puzzle wrote:Hi,
please advise! my boy is doing YJC year 2 book 4 and i have a few questions here.

1) Is it a norm for the teacher to introduce a new piece of music a week?
Even if the children have not master the earlier pieces ?

2) Should i enrol him to 1 to 1 piano class if my boy concentration level
is relatively low?

Thanks

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama