Can electronic piano be used for preparation of Grade1 exam?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Can electronic piano be used for preparation of Grade1 exam?

Postby gaagaa » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi, I've bought an electronic piano 1 year ago instead of an upright, worrying that the latter might be a white elephant. My gal is planning for Grade 1 exam next year. Can anyone kindly advise if I still use the electronic piano for her daily practice in preparation for the Grade 1 exam? Will there be any negative effects if I continue to use the electronic piano? Many thanks!

gaagaa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby tree nymph » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Is yours an electronic piano or a keyboard?

If its a keyboard, then for grade one still ok, but if your gal is continuing, i think you will need an upright piano.

Not sure about electronic piano though.

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Can electronic piano be used for preparation of Grade1 e

Postby sleepy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:50 pm

gaagaa wrote:Hi, I've bought an electronic piano 1 year ago instead of an upright, worrying that the latter might be a white elephant. My gal is planning for Grade 1 exam next year. Can anyone kindly advise if I still use the electronic piano for her daily practice in preparation for the Grade 1 exam? Will there be any negative effects if I continue to use the electronic piano? Many thanks!


Do you mean digital piano?
One of my dd's teachers mentioned it's alright to use a digital piano up to grade 3.

However I feel that a digital piano is less expressive than a traditional acoustic piano, so the child can't express the dynamic as adequately. Furthermore, sound from a digital piano is kind of inferior compared to an acoustic piano. Hence if the child gets used to hearing digital sound, it may undermines her listening skill in the long run.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Postby gaagaa » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks tree nymph.

Yesh Sleepy, I meant a digital piano. The touch and sound is very close to a upright piano, guess only an expert can tell the inferiority. The sound is not really very "digital" like those of an organ. Sorry, I dun really understand what you meant by less expressive?

btw, I'm looking for a good piano teacher in the West. Do you guys hv any recommendations?

gaagaa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby sleepy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:47 pm

gaagaa wrote:Yesh Sleepy, I meant a digital piano. The touch and sound is very close to a upright piano, guess only an expert can tell the inferiority. The sound is not really very "digital" like those of an organ. Sorry, I dun really understand what you meant by less expressive?



Read this page, some brief explanation on touch/sound/dynamics
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=50a

Your child's teacher would be able to explain what's dynamics (expressiveness) more clearly than I do :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34



Postby phankao » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 pm

gaagaa wrote:Thanks tree nymph.

Yesh Sleepy, I meant a digital piano. The touch and sound is very close to a upright piano, guess only an expert can tell the inferiority. The sound is not really very "digital" like those of an organ. Sorry, I dun really understand what you meant by less expressive?

btw, I'm looking for a good piano teacher in the West. Do you guys hv any recommendations?


Actually I find that the touch of a digital piano is still not quite the same as an acoustic piano.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby gaagaa » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:27 pm

sleepy wrote:
gaagaa wrote:Yesh Sleepy, I meant a digital piano. The touch and sound is very close to a upright piano, guess only an expert can tell the inferiority. The sound is not really very "digital" like those of an organ. Sorry, I dun really understand what you meant by less expressive?



Read this page, some brief explanation on touch/sound/dynamics
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=50a

Your child's teacher would be able to explain what's dynamics (expressiveness) more clearly than I do :wink:


Thanks for the link! I did ask my gal if there's a difference playing on upright piano in school vs the digital piano at home. She said the school piano is harder to hit :lol: Her teacher is not very good in pronounciation and explaining such technicalities, though she is very patient with my gal. That's why I'm looking for another better teacher cos' my gal sometimes couldn't figure out some words she says and I got to repeat the word on her behalf :(

btw, did u engage a home teacher?

gaagaa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Pen88n » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm

gaagaa wrote:
sleepy wrote:
gaagaa wrote:Yesh Sleepy, I meant a digital piano. The touch and sound is very close to a upright piano, guess only an expert can tell the inferiority. The sound is not really very "digital" like those of an organ. Sorry, I dun really understand what you meant by less expressive?



Read this page, some brief explanation on touch/sound/dynamics
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=50a

Your child's teacher would be able to explain what's dynamics (expressiveness) more clearly than I do :wink:


Thanks for the link! I did ask my gal if there's a difference playing on upright piano in school vs the digital piano at home. She said the school piano is harder to hit :lol: Her teacher is not very good in pronounciation and explaining such technicalities, though she is very patient with my gal. That's why I'm looking for another better teacher cos' my gal sometimes couldn't figure out some words she says and I got to repeat the word on her behalf :(

btw, did u engage a home teacher?


There is a difference when your gal play the digital vs upright piano. I personally find it not ideal for a kid to practise on digital piano moving forward. The keyboard is usually "lighter" for digital piano, so the kid may not exercise enough finger strength in the long run when they need to play on upright piano during exam time. Esp. so for higher grade scale practice. Also, the "expressive" part, digital piano produces a more "mechanical" sound - hard to heard the "feelings" of the pieces. This is a very part of exam pieces, so your gal may not know how to "inject" the "feelings" when playing on the upright piano. Hope this helps.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:26 am
Total Likes: 70


Postby jce » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I must say, the digi pianos available nowadays are quite close to the uprights in terms of the weight of keys. However at higher grades where "touch" comes into play, digi pianos don't respond. So in other words, early grades of 1 and 2, one can get by practising on a digi, but need to change after so that the child is acustomed to an upright.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby gaagaa » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks Pen88n and Jce for your inputs.

Guess I'll change to an upright piano when my dd has passed Grade 1 next year and wishes to continue. In any case, she still doesn't know how to be "expressive" during playing. :roll:

Currently, my dd's way of playing is still not fully right. According to the teacher, they're supposed to use the fingertips to play, which is harder. Does your kids face with such problems? I do not know how to correct her but just constantly remind her to use her fingertips instead of the whole fingers.

gaagaa
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama