BA Music vs Dip ABRSM/LRSM/FRSM

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

BA Music vs Dip ABRSM/LRSM/FRSM

Postby Devnahouse » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Piano teachers with BA Music, are they more qualified compared to those with Dip ABRSM/LRSM/FRSM?

What level must one attain to be able to teach Dip level?

:?

Devnahouse
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jce » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:19 pm

The Fellowship (FRSM and FTCL) level is as high as Masters level and the requirements to attain that is very high indeed.

The Bachelor (BA and BMus) level is equivalent to the Licentiate level (LRSM and LTCL).

To teach Dip level, ideally would be the Fellowship or Masters level (or even PHD level).

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Devnahouse » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 am

jce wrote:The Fellowship (FRSM and FTCL) level is as high as Masters level and the requirements to attain that is very high indeed.

The Bachelor (BA and BMus) level is equivalent to the Licentiate level (LRSM and LTCL).

To teach Dip level, ideally would be the Fellowship or Masters level (or even PHD level).

Jce, I would like to know whether there is any restriction one can teach. For example, Grade 8 teacher is not taking student who is learning grade 8; Dip ABRSM is not teaching similar level?

Also, Dip ABRSM Music Performance seems to be more popular than the other two : Dip Music Direction and Instrumental/Vocal Teachings. Why? :roll:

Thanks.

Devnahouse
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jce » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 pm

There is no restriction or "law" as such, it's down to the teacher if he/she has the "guts" to take on a higher grade student.

I think majority take on the Dip (performance) because it is "easier" to prepare, in the sense that one only prepares the pieces to be PERFORMED. The marking will be judged on the way pieces are performed. Whereas the teaching Dip requires one to have a portfolio, showing a wide range of students. In the exam, one is also required to show how one would teach a particular piece to a student, in other words, the teaching part is emphasised. The performance of the pieces prepared is less of an issue.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Devnahouse » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 pm

jce wrote:There is no restriction or "law" as such, it's down to the teacher if he/she has the "guts" to take on a higher grade student.

I think majority take on the Dip (performance) because it is "easier" to prepare, in the sense that one only prepares the pieces to be PERFORMED. The marking will be judged on the way pieces are performed. Whereas the teaching Dip requires one to have a portfolio, showing a wide range of students. In the exam, one is also required to show how one would teach a particular piece to a student, in other words, the teaching part is emphasised. The performance of the pieces prepared is less of an issue.

I see, I see. Thanks a lot for your enlightenment.

Devnahouse
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: BA Music vs Dip ABRSM/LRSM/FRSM

Postby ipiano1980 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:01 am

Jce

I think you got it very wrong about Dip performance, that is much easier.

Unless you are talking abt DipATCL under Trinity. Diploma under the Trinity is basically just based on performance alone and programme notes.

DipABRSM performance under ABRSM requires very tedious and much research and preparation. You have to be able to sight read well, know the history of the composers, influences, history of the instrument you are studying, knowledge of history of music.
Analysis of the pieces and the whys and how.

That is why the ABRSM certs are much more established and holds a higher value as compared to the TRINITY exams.

ipiano1980
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama