digital Piano vs classical Piano

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

digital Piano vs classical Piano

Postby Ivanlew » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 pm

My daugther has been learning piano for about 6 months at a music school.
We have a small keyboard passed down from my sister-in-law for her to practise but she is complainting not enough key.

I am considering to buy a digital piano or a classical piano. Classical piano of course is more expensive, take space and can't control the sound so not very good to practise at night. Would like to know is the feel of digital piano close or same as classical piano especially now digital piano got what hammer feeling like the classical piano. Can digital piano used to prepare for grade 1 and 2 test? How far can it go before you must get a classical piano?

I don't want to buy a classical pianobecause I don't really know whehter she will continue learning. If she stop than the classical piano will become a white elephant in my living room.

Need advise as I don't know about Piano.

Thanks

Ivanlew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:46 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: digital Piano vs classical Piano

Postby compvale » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Ivanlew wrote:My daugther has been learning piano for about 6 months at a music school.
We have a small keyboard passed down from my sister-in-law for her to practise but she is complainting not enough key.

I am considering to buy a digital piano or a classical piano. Classical piano of course is more expensive, take space and can't control the sound so not very good to practise at night. Would like to know is the feel of digital piano close or same as classical piano especially now digital piano got what hammer feeling like the classical piano. Can digital piano used to prepare for grade 1 and 2 test? How far can it go before you must get a classical piano?

I don't want to buy a classical pianobecause I don't really know whehter she will continue learning. If she stop than the classical piano will become a white elephant in my living room.

Need advise as I don't know about Piano.

Thanks
"

Hi....i was in a similar situation. Finally bought digital piano cos can control volume, listen via headphones & record the songs she played. Though touch and feel not exactly same as classical piano, it is much better than keyboard. She has since passed grade 1 so am considering upgrading the piano for her.

compvale
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: digital Piano vs classical Piano

Postby UncleLim » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Ivanlew wrote:My daugther has been learning piano for about 6 months at a music school.
We have a small keyboard passed down from my sister-in-law for her to practise but she is complainting not enough key.

I am considering to buy a digital piano or a classical piano. Classical piano of course is more expensive, take space and can't control the sound so not very good to practise at night. Would like to know is the feel of digital piano close or same as classical piano especially now digital piano got what hammer feeling like the classical piano. Can digital piano used to prepare for grade 1 and 2 test? How far can it go before you must get a classical piano?

I don't want to buy a classical pianobecause I don't really know whehter she will continue learning. If she stop than the classical piano will become a white elephant in my living room.

Need advise as I don't know about Piano.

Thanks


How about considering a second-hand piano to reduce the potential "loss" ? Some can be gotten for $1-2k instead of the usual $5-10k for brand new ones.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 7


Postby hquek » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:31 pm

hi ivanlew,

It's impossible to read into the future, but if you feel that you will be able to have your child continue with music learning and not easily allow her to give up halfway, perhaps it's better to get a classical piano.

Digital piano have limited span. if you spend that 1-2K, it's gone and will not be recouped easily becos there is no resale value.

I bought a 2nd hand classical. Most 2nd hand shops have return policy - within 1 year, % will be paid if you decide to return.

Currently, DS1 (6 y/o) is learning piano becos mummy wants him to. He hates to practice and yearns to stop the classes, but I'm persisting just cos many pp have told me how they regret dropping it when young. Most pp I interview say that young kids/teens hate music classes, but they grow to eventually like it. it's all very individual.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Postby MMM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi,

We were in that position before. But having 3 kids help to make the decision easier. If no. 1 don't make it, no. 2 might? If no. 2 don't make it, we still have no. 3 :pray: :lol:

These were the key considerations :
* The feel and weight of key difference between classical and digital
* The resale value. Digital has no value but classical if we take care of it still has resale value. This was the key driving factor for us.

We decided on a 2nd hand 17 yrs old classical in the end. It's been 4 years and still working well though we are still hanging on with the kid's piano learning like hquek mentioned. We are hanging on and I am hoping that one day they will practise because they enjoy it and have a keen interest/ passion in it.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 pm
Total Likes: 77



Postby melissang » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi

For a start if you do not want to spend to much, you can consider getting a 2nd hand digital piano. The basic ones with weighted keys. You should be able to get 1 at less than $500. But make sure you go have a look first.

Cause for a piano, i agree it has resale value, but you may need to spend on maintanance like tuning of the piano.

If you think long term and want to take the risk, a Classical is definately the best, but just for trial, i suggest you get a digital piano first.
Because, even for classical, there are different grades, you get the basic ones which may not be able to last them through grade 8. Usually for grade 3 and above, you will need an exam model.

All the best in your piano hunting :)

Cheers !

melissang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby HyperKiasu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 pm

hquek wrote:hi ivanlew,

It's impossible to read into the future, but if you feel that you will be able to have your child continue with music learning and not easily allow her to give up halfway, perhaps it's better to get a classical piano.

Digital piano have limited span. if you spend that 1-2K, it's gone and will not be recouped easily becos there is no resale value.

I bought a 2nd hand classical. Most 2nd hand shops have return policy - within 1 year, % will be paid if you decide to return.

Currently, DS1 (6 y/o) is learning piano becos mummy wants him to. He hates to practice and yearns to stop the classes, but I'm persisting just cos many pp have told me how they regret dropping it when young. Most pp I interview say that young kids/teens hate music classes, but they grow to eventually like it. it's all very individual.


hquek,

my son also hated to practice and my SIL (who is a piano teacher) suggested to quit. her thought is 1) boy shall spend more time in sports if he has not developed fondness of instruments. 2) piano is flurry, no practical use in the future. i heed her advice and didn't insist my son on piano. so he quitted piano after about 2 yrs with yamaha.

after reading your post, i m in a dilemma now, shall i encourage him to pick up piano, (I would regret about my past decision to quit , if my son might love piano after he grows?)
but if he still reluctant to practice, how to persuade him?

can share your experience ?

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby markfch » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:47 pm

HyperKiasu wrote: 2) piano is flurry, no practical use in the future. i heed her advice and didn't insist my son on piano. so he quitted piano after about 2 yrs with yamaha.


Not really true right? I think one of the happiest professions is to be a piano teacher, imho :D
User avatar
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby HyperKiasu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm

markfch wrote:
HyperKiasu wrote: 2) piano is flurry, no practical use in the future. i heed her advice and didn't insist my son on piano. so he quitted piano after about 2 yrs with yamaha.


Not really true right? I think one of the happiest professions is to be a piano teacher, imho :D


my SIL's comment about her job is Stable Only lah...

dun think my son will become a piano teacher even if he picks up again as one of his hobbies. no such music gene run in both my family and my hubby's.... :wink:
i envy very much those kids who can play piano.... :P

HyperKiasu
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:40 pm

HyperKiasu wrote:but if he still reluctant to practice, how to persuade him?



Just wondering, how is his usual practice session at home? Does he sit alone or are you accompanying him?

Learning an instrument from scratch is no easy feat. Frankly speaking, I find it tough too, the notes simply swim in front of me, I totally catched no ball.

Anyway, just to share. When my dd started initially, we faced some resistance too as piano was too hard for her. I asked hubby to sit with her for 15 minutes everyday. At least he's better at notes reading than I do. After my dd ovecame the initial obstacle plus possible mental block, she sort of picked up the momentum and practising became her daily routine.
Of course I still need to remind (nag) her to practice.

Once a child is willing to practice, you will naturally see good progress

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9083
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama