speech and drama classes

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

speech and drama classes

Postby funny_parent » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm

:? good morning friends,
Pls can i have information about any good speech and drama classes near my serangoon area for my kids aged 4 years.I really don't have any idea of any in singapore. Very eager to enrol my kids.
Thanks in Advance,
bye.

funny_parent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi there,

You may want to look at this website:

http://www.lovekids.com.sg/lovekids/

The school is located in Serangoon Gardens and Margaret, the lady who runs the show is really nice and accomodating.

I wanted to enrol my DS for their classes but their schedule clashes with some of his other classes so I have put this on hold for the time being.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby funny_parent » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 am

hi
Thnk u for ur reply.but i find this location not convenient as i stay near Bendemeer road

funny_parent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:17 pm

funny_parent wrote::? good morning friends,
Pls can i have information about any good speech and drama classes near my serangoon area for my kids aged 4 years.I really don't have any idea of any in singapore. Very eager to enrol my kids.
Thanks in Advance,
bye.

funny_parent wrote:hi
Thnk u for ur reply.but i find this location not convenient as i stay near Bendemeer road

OIC, you mean you live near Serangoon Road area :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:00 am

Sorry, what type of S&D classes are you going for - English/Chinese? Bendemeer road quite close to united sq, suntec...both home to quite a few english S&D classes. Lorna Whiston comes to mind.

Also some chinese centres I think at Fu Lu Shou (near Bugis) - not sure if they are offering S&D.

My kids attend chinese S&D at Singapore hokkien huay kuan arts & cultural troupe - this is at Toa Payoh. www.shhkact.com.sg

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Monster Mummy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:01 am

Hi,

I have slightly browse their web page. It seem that each year there is only one intake and some classes allow the student to join half way. But it seem the class size is a bit big.

How does the student pick up knowledge.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby hquek » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:48 am

Monster Mummy wrote:Hi,

I have slightly browse their web page. It seem that each year there is only one intake and some classes allow the student to join half way. But it seem the class size is a bit big.

How does the student pick up knowledge.

Sorry, there were 2 webpages in this thread. Which one?

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby twotwobravo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:33 pm

hquek wrote:

My kids attend chinese S&D at Singapore hokkien huay kuan arts & cultural troupe - this is at Toa Payoh. www.shhkact.com.sg

hihi hquek,

am interested to find out more on the shhk chinese enrichment for kids.
can u share your views and experience on shhk?
and did ur kids attend the "cherry tots" or "fun chinese" lessons at shhk?

btw, for english s&d, i heard good comments of LornaW at united sq.

twotwobravo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi twotwobravo,

DS1 attended 1 year of berries when he was in N1 (or was that N2)? anyway, I gave that up after a year becos during that time, berries had no holidays...it was a nightmare planning for overseas holidays.

Cherry tots are more on S&D, word recognition - more fun and games. S&D is simply that - more on enunciating, drama stuff. There are 2 teachers in the class in cherry tots, for the S&D classes at K level, there is only 1 teacher - but they run around (each teacher take charge of a certain section).

Fun Chinese (from N1 to K1) is more on chinese language (akin to Berries) - a booklet is distributed each week, and kids also practise writing strokes/words (depending on level). There are 3 teachers in each class. Kids start off with 1-1 reading on last week's text. They do stuff related to current week's materials (if it's on rice, the teachers even bring rice for kids to eat).

Kids have been in SHHK for the past 2+ years. DS1 is now in S&D plus the Chinese K2 prep class (Fun chinese ends at K1). DS2 is in cherry tots plus Fun Chinese. No regrets despite that we have to make 2 trips on Sundays to and fro the centre in TPY.

There was an earlier question on intake. Registration start around Oct each year. Priority given to existing students and then clan members and finally members of public. But during the year, if there is vacancy, kids can join the class midway. FYI, there are only 3 terms in 1 year - so actually the fees are very reasonable.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Regarding level of difficulty in fun chinese, I think it's quite high. Teacher told me that she includes chinese idioms in most of the texts.

For my N2 boy, the year started off simple (eyes, nose, hands, feet), but gradually kids are exposed to more difficult words.

Yet the layout is very simple and non-cluttered. And the story is simple to understand.

In SHHK, I see a mix of teachers from PRC and also SG - their level of chinese is impeccable.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama