Any recommendation for classical music for children?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Any recommendation for classical music for children?

Postby i3mum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any good / "must know" classical music which is good in enhancing the child's interest in playing piano?

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Any recommendation for classical music for children?

Postby peanut_butter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 am

i3mum wrote:Hi,

Can anyone recommend any good / "must know" classical music which is good in enhancing the child's interest in playing piano?

Hmm.... I know a few orchestra pieces that children might like. There are famous must-know piano pieces but I suspect children are not fond of them. How old is your child?

My favoriate Orchestra pieces are:
The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev
The four Seasons (esp. Spring,Winter) by Vivaldi
.... and other important ones from http://www.classicsforkids.com/music/

May I recommend getting a few Looney Tunes DVD. Kids like the cartoons and it uses tons of classical music. Also get Walt Disney's Fantasia.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Any recommendation for classical music for children?

Postby i3mum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:45 am

Hi peanut_butter,

Thanks, my DD is 5.5yo. I will try on the music u recommended. May I know where can I get the Looney Tunes DVD?

peanut_butter wrote:
Hmm.... I know a few orchestra pieces that children might like. There are famous must-know piano pieces but I suspect children are not fond of them. How old is your child?

My favoriate Orchestra pieces are:
The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev
The four Seasons (esp. Spring,Winter) by Vivaldi
.... and other important ones from http://www.classicsforkids.com/music/

May I recommend getting a few Looney Tunes DVD. Kids like the cartoons and it uses tons of classical music. Also get Walt Disney's Fantasia.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peanut_butter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 am

I believe the DVD are available in most video shops and rather cheap. Some shopping malls have DVD and video stalls in their forum. You can also get them from the those temporary 'Pasa' stall on the fields.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby i3mum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Hmm ok thanks, i try to see if I can find them in the shops.

Do you know when we play the classic music to the kids, what should we ask the child to take note? The name of the song & the composer?

peanut_butter wrote:I believe the DVD are available in most video shops and rather cheap. Some shopping malls have DVD and video stalls in their forum. You can also get them from the those temporary 'Pasa' stall on the fields.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jce » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:13 pm

No, I wouldn't ask them to purposely remember the title and composer (the higher grades yes, but not young children or low grades). Ask them to listen out to the various instruments (if it's orchestral), listen to what they sound like so that they can associate the instrument with their respective sound. Listen to the character of the piece, what images does it portray. More well-versed ones (ie those in higher grades) will have to listen out to the methods used by the composer to write the music.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby i3mum » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi jce,

thanks! Ok noted. Will do that :)
jce wrote:No, I wouldn't ask them to purposely remember the title and composer (the higher grades yes, but not young children or low grades). Ask them to listen out to the various instruments (if it's orchestral), listen to what they sound like so that they can associate the instrument with their respective sound. Listen to the character of the piece, what images does it portray. More well-versed ones (ie those in higher grades) will have to listen out to the methods used by the composer to write the music.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby i3mum » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Dear all,

I happened to see these classical music cds in CD-rama. Do anyone of your recommend which of the 3 to buy??

Anyone bought? Any recommendation??

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Faun » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:07 pm

i3mum wrote:Dear all,

I happened to see these classical music cds in CD-rama. Do anyone of your recommend which of the 3 to buy??

Anyone bought? Any recommendation??

Hello i3mum,

Can't see the CDs, too blur. My ds has 2 favourites, Tubby The Tuba and Oscar The Piano. They're excellent. Her piano teacher gave it to her but she bought from UK. you can check out HMV at Heereen and if they don't have, see if they can order for you. That shop has many other classicals for kids too.

The SSO has a version that you can get for around 10 bucks but it's not as good. It introduces kids to the diff musical insruments.

Fantasia 2000 is a cartoon with a lot of classical music, the NLB has copies.

hope this helps!

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby phankao » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Faun wrote:
The SSO has a version that you can get for around 10 bucks but it's not as good. It introduces kids to the diff musical insruments.!

I don't like it. It's boring.

I do like individual composers in 1 CD, featuring the most famous works of each composer.

Oh, and if you can find Saint-Saens' Carnival of Animals, that's great too.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama