Piano Grade 7 & 4 and Qns on Theory for higher grades

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano Grade 7 & 4 and Qns on Theory for higher grades

Postby sporemum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi Would like to know :

1. What would be reasonable charges for individual piano grade 7 and grade 4? On grade 7, what would be the charges for practical and theory?

2. We were told that after grade 5 there is a big jump in theory to grade 6, and extra lesson time (and $$) would be required. Is the normal practice?

3. Actually my daughter is half way thru the grade 7 syllabus, but the teacher has left and the new teacher assigned by the school doesnt teach theory above grade 5. Would it be feasible for my daughter to self-study to finish the grade 7 theory and take exams on her own? She is reasonably independent and smart.

4. Lastly I was also told that some students stop theory after grade 5, and continue the theory only after they finish grade 8 practical. Would it be preferable to go down this route rather than do both practical and theory concurrently after grade 5?

Thanks.

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Piano Grade 7 & 4 and Qns on Theory for higher grade

Postby peanut_butter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:01 am

sporemum wrote:Hi Would like to know :

2. We were told that after grade 5 there is a big jump in theory to grade 6, and extra lesson time (and $$) would be required. Is the normal practice?

3. Actually my daughter is half way thru the grade 7 syllabus, but the teacher has left and the new teacher assigned by the school doesnt teach theory above grade 5. Would it be feasible for my daughter to self-study to finish the grade 7 theory and take exams on her own? She is reasonably independent and smart.

4. Lastly I was also told that some students stop theory after grade 5, and continue the theory only after they finish grade 8 practical. Would it be preferable to go down this route rather than do both practical and theory concurrently after grade 5?

2. Yes.

3. I have a few colleagues who were self-taught for their grade 8 theory exams. Grade 7 is a smaller step up from Grade 6, compared to grade 5 to Grade 6. She should have a decent fighting chance if she passed Grade 6 well. Do the past-year papers and purchase the answers as well.

4. If she can cope, better to do both concurrently. Theory knowledge is very useful for practical.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jce » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Being smart (academically) is different from "music smart" and/or "theory smart". Theory can't be studied academically in many ways. Yes, it is true that gr 7 theory is similar to 6 and grade 8 is a combination of both but one needs to know the ins-and-outs to really understand and not just memorise it. I'm sure you want the child to understand and be able to use it to enhance her practical. Some choose to cover the theory first, some choose otherwise. I personally find that if one chooses to cover practical first, chances of completing the theory is very slim. I think the fact that theory gr 8 is not "needed" as a prerequisite just makes people stop.

And yes as noted by peanut butter, grade 6 theory onwards will need the "extra time" as practical in higher grades will need the full hour in order to cover what is necessary.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby peanut_butter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:46 am

jce wrote:Being smart (academically) is different from "music smart" and/or "theory smart". Theory can't be studied academically in many ways. Yes, it is true that gr 7 theory is similar to 6 and grade 8 is a combination of both but one needs to know the ins-and-outs to really understand and not just memorise it. I'm sure you want the child to understand and be able to use it to enhance her practical.stop.

I agree with JCE. But with only a few months to go, it would not be easy to find a teacher who is 1)Knowledgeable in theory. 2)Can explain clearly. 3)Available.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sporemum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 am

HI Thanks for all the comments! More comments/thots welcome.

The other problem besides being unable to find a suitable teacher who can teach theory is that she also have little time on her hands in sec school. It is always a dilemma how to balance with the various needs.

Besides the full hour needed for grade 7 practical, how much extra time shd we set aside for theory ? Any indicative rates from anyone?

Thanks.

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 am

I have heard that O level in music is similar to grade 6 theory. Is this true? All sec schools offer O level in music?

sporemum, your girl in Sec? Is her interest in music strong in terms of would do self reading?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sporemum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 am

My girl is not doing MEP though her school offers it, but she is in the string ensemble playing the cello (learnt from scratch last yr and performed overseas with the school within the same yr). I wasnt initially that keen on her taking on another instrument, but she really wanted it, so i let her have her choice. So she has musical interests.

As for studying of theory, she has always been quite independent.. i think the previous teacher also doesnt push her much.

I dont know if it wd be feasible to say have some 'intensive' theory lessons only during the dec hols to finish up the rest of the grade 7 theory and aim for the exams early next yr.

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jce » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:35 pm

One of my theory student is doing that - intensive over the hol, attempting gr 8 theory in March. Many gr 5 students would do that as well.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sporemum » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:23 pm

jce wrote:One of my theory student is doing that - intensive over the hol, attempting gr 8 theory in March. Many gr 5 students would do that as well.

So how many lessons will do they usually do during the hols? How much wd the charges be for grade 7? thanks!

sporemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 pm

During the hol, students can have as many as 3 lessons per wk, but generally 2 is sufficient, some can even stick with 1 if foundation is good (and they don't forget what they've learnt). As for charges, it's the normal hourly charges as the class is 1-1.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama