Where to go to for good guitar lessons?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Postby hermes173 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:42 am

Hi fellow parents,

dd came back recently and announced that she wanted to take up the guitar.

She has never had any musical training.

Would appreciate it very much if anyone could share their experience or knowledge here.

Thanks!

hermes173
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MYB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi All,

I am also looking for enrolling my 12 year old in Guitar classes.

Cristofori school is nearby. Is it ok. He is a beginner.

Thanks

MYB
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bebe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:44 pm

How old is yr dd? My P2 also made similar request last month. I guess she is very much influenced by her idol Taylor Swift.. :?

Anyone has good recommendation for Guitar lessons? The nearest Music Sch will be Yamaha Thomson Plaza.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby duriz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi all,

It depends on how old your child is.
Most classes are divided into "junior class" (6-11) and then "regular class" 12 yo and beyond.
You also need to decide if your child is learning the classical or acoustic guitar. Lessons and equipment prices will be different. Acoustic guitars are usually more expensive.
I had first started to learn how to play the classical guitar when I was in school.
As an adult, I'd decided to learn playing the acoustic guitar. The nearest school for me is also Yamaha Thomson Plaza but because they do not offer acoustic guitar lesson, I had to travel to Yamaha Plaza Sing.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm

duriz wrote:Hi all,

It depends on how old your child is.
Most classes are divided into "junior class" (6-11) and then "regular class" 12 yo and beyond.
You also need to decide if your child is learning the classical or acoustic guitar. Lessons and equipment prices will be different. Acoustic guitars are usually more expensive.
I had first started to learn how to play the classical guitar when I was in school.
As an adult, I'd decided to learn playing the acoustic guitar. The nearest school for me is also Yamaha Thomson Plaza but because they do not offer acoustic guitar lesson, I had to travel to Yamaha Plaza Sing.

Hi Thanks for advising...I am clueless when come to music. My gal is 8years old. The problem is I do not know how long will her interest sustain? The main motivating factor for her to play guitar is because she idolises Taylor Swift..and hope to be as pretty and talented like her. :|
What is the difference between classical and acoustic guitar? I believe the latter is easier? Or rather which kinda guitar is that Taylor Swift playing? :idea:

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby duriz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 pm

bebe wrote: What is the difference between classical and acoustic guitar?

When buying a guitar for your child:

If you have access to try out different guitar sizes, look for the largest one that allows your child to play a full G chord without touching any of the open strings with the left hand (if possible ask someone who plays the guitar to help you test this). Your child should also be able to see where to put the left hand fingers without having to turn the guitar up for a better look

Classical guitar
Advantages
Nylon strings are easier on the fingers, so your child may be more willing to practice and continue lessons.

Disadvantages
The neck is wider, so your child with small hands may have difficulty fingering some chords.
The mellow sound of the classical guitar may not match her expectations to play popular music. This may affect her motivation to play.

Acoustic guitar
Advantages
The neck is narrower than the classical guitar, making it easier for small hands to play.
The sound of the acoustic guitar is familiar as it is used in popular music - this may help her motivation to play.
To make it easier on the fingers it is possible to replace the steel strings on an acoustic guitar with nylon strings while she is learning. If you choose to do this, be sure to purchase nylon strings with ball ends. She may still have some discomfort whenever the steel strings begin to be used.

Disadvantages
The steel strings are harder on the fingers which become sore from practice until callouses are formed. This may cause some children to give up their guitar playing. However, the pain does go away completely after the callouses are formed and most students are able to work through the painful period by practicing in shorter sessions as necessary.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebe » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks..these info are certainly very useful when I "shop" for suitable guitar courses. I just realised that the next nearest music school for me will be Cristofori at Bishan. Now, I need to find out if they offer acoustic guitar.

bebe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Guitar show this weekend

Postby PSLEmom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Singapore Guitar Show
Oct 2 & 3 (sat & Sun), 10am - 6pm
Suntec Convention & Exhibition Centre, Rooms 325 & 326
Admission Free
More info : www.singaporeguitarshow.com

Source : ST 30th Sep Page C2

PSLEmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for the detailed post.Now this dumbo knows a bit more.

Some more advice please
DS is very interested, so had enrolled him in a CC nearby. Teaching is not professional, but is nearby so precious weekend time saved.

Ds is 6 and he has been going for 3 mths now. My idea was to send him here for 6-12 mths. and see if he is still interested then to put him in a proper class.

Now i worry thta if he is not being taught properly/systematically then would that lead to a problem of "unlearning"?

Should i stop being so stingy and lazy and get him to a more professional place?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby duriz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Sun_2010,

Every parent dreams of their child attaining success, and one of the most popular area besides academics is in music. And the younger you start, the better.

First thing, it's good thing your DS expressed interest in learning to play the guitar, that way he can't say he was coerced into it, like most of us who had learnt the piano (or musical instrument of parents' choice) at a young age :D

Are his lessons at the CC for children or beginners in general? Has he learnt what is being taught, and how to understand and apply it?

If you feel that "formal" lessons are better, he can shift to a regular music school if he knows a little bit about the basics. It will give him ample opportunity to show what he has learned thus far, and somehow be ahead of the rest of class – which can be a great confidence booster.

Guitar lessons for children must be geared for the young minds. You are right, it would be a shame to let it all his learning go down the drain because of a poorly constructed course.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama