Piano or violin for a lefthander?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano or violin for a lefthander?

Postby cnimed » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 am

Hi, I need some opinions from experienced parents.

I intend to start my 4+ on either piano or violin. I did piano, however we have limited space for piano at home and he's had an operation on his right thumb that left some scar tissue that limits movement. Piano may help to improve mobility, or it may frustrate and hinders, I have no idea.

On the other hand, his dream instrument is a double-bass, hence a compromise will be a violin (even though I understand the fingering is different). He's a lefthander - does it matter for violin?

I live in Upper Bukit Timah. Any recommendation for music teachers around that area will be appreciated. I'm not looking for a "fun" approach - but a kind, patient teacher with focus on foundation technique who is used to working with children.

THANK YOU!!
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby metz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Deminc,

He's a lefthander - does it matter for violin?

Both my kids are lefties taking violin lessons at the moment. Initially, my son did have some problems with the bow. After all, it's not easy for a leftie to hold and control the bow. But after the initial tough period, he's doing fine now. As for my gal, she doesn't really experience the difficulty her brother encountered earlier on. So, I would think it depends on individuals. Even if there's a problem, it can be overcome. Otherwise, you might consider getting your son a violin for left-handed people.

If you are looking at Suzuki Violin lessons, I would strongly recommend Mr Kang at Crestar Jurong East. He's very strict but patient in teaching kids. However, he expects a lot from the kid and parent as well.

Otherwise, you can consider the Fisheman Music School (Sin Ming Plaza). All the teachers are at least diploma holders in Music.
Last edited by metz on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Piano or violin for a lefthander?

Postby metz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:34 pm

deminc wrote:I intend to start my 4+ on either piano or violin. I did piano, however we have limited space for piano at home and he's had an operation on his right thumb that left some scar tissue that limits movement. Piano may help to improve mobility, or it may frustrate and hinders, I have no idea.

Sorry to hear about the scar tissue. I hope he will recover fully in time to come.

Have you considered a keyboard first? If it helps to improve mobility and the interest is there, then move on to piano?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 pm

Mr Kang/Crestar - thanks for the recommendation! I think I will check that out next week. :)

piano - My kids have electronic keyboards bought by their grandmother. They love it, but it drives me mad! ;) I just think it's better to use the proper "tools" from the start - the tone and feel are very different. I'm very old-fashioned when it comes to instruments, keke.

I think I'll go with the Suzuki violin, now that I have a good recommendationf for teacher, and reassurance about the left-hand thingy.

THANK YOU!!!
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby metz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm

deminc wrote:Mr Kang/Crestar - thanks for the recommendation! I think I will check that out next week. :)

piano - My kids have electronic keyboards bought by their grandmother. They love it, but it drives me mad! ;) I just think it's better to use the proper "tools" from the start - the tone and feel are very different. I'm very old-fashioned when it comes to instruments, keke.

I think I'll go with the Suzuki violin, now that I have a good recommendationf for teacher, and reassurance about the left-hand thingy.

THANK YOU!!!

Hi,

Mr Kang is the Vice President of SMAS. He's rather well known for his strictness, so be prepared.

It's definitely better to get a piano if the interest is there. My ds is already complaining about the different touch & feel between playing on a piano and keyboard (he just started piano lessons about 2 months ago). Now, we are also planning to get a piano. Happy shopping! :wink:
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama