Room to put piano

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Room to put piano

Postby pingering » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm getting a new piano (soon), currently looking at either Yamaha U1 or YUS5.

I have a question about the place to put the piano. I know most people place pianos in the living room (bigger?). For me, I may have no choice but to place it in my study. Problem is that study is
- small (typical HDB 2nd/3rd bedroom size)
- very hot (gets the afternoon sun full blast, and with full height windows, the room can get pretty hot). The piano will be away from direct sunlight though.

Like to hear from anyone if such a room is suitable for putting a piano. Would the heat be harmful to the piano? Should I place it in the living room instead?

Also, would putting a YUS5 in a small room be 'too loud'? It has parquet flooring. Would I need to put a carpet under the piano to 'soften' it?

Sorry if the questions sound silly. Have never own a piano before. Had a clavinoa (CVP-69) for more than 10 years until it suddenly died last week :-(

pingering
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi pingering,

In my case, the piano was for DS1 to practise on. We placed it in the 'study room' becos it's away from tv. That room is also fairly hot (with afternoon sun) but the piano is also away from the window. I didn't put anything under the piano - only asked the shop to give me the base caps (in case the wheels spoil my laminate floor).

I guess it's working out. The piano shop guy didn't say anything negative about putting that piano in that room. And I still turn on the heater 24x7 for the piano interior.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Room to put piano

Postby peanut_butter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 pm

pingering wrote:Would the heat be harmful to the piano?

Is the room 'wet'? My sound board gave way after 10 years of sitting in a humid and warm room, away from the sun.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jce » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 pm

If the room is hot but you keep it well ventilated, it's ok. But getting a U5 for a small room might be overwhelming in terms of sound.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pingering » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 pm

peanut_butter wrote:
pingering wrote:Would the heat be harmful to the piano?

Is the room 'wet'? My sound board gave way after 10 years of sitting in a humid and warm room, away from the sun.

Don't think so, it's much too hot to be wet I would think, though there's a toilet on the other side of the wall that I intend to place the piano. Not sure about the humidity in that room though. The windows are closed almost throughout the entire week, and usually we would turn on the air-con when we do use that room at night.

Guess we will definitely have to turn on the air-con at night if we do place the piano there! Especially if it's a YUS5, since I have heard it's very loud. Some have said it's much too loud for such a small room ... :-( But my living room has no suitable space ... hai.

pingering
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby titank » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:35 pm

pingering wrote:I'm getting a new piano (soon), currently looking at either Yamaha U1 or YUS5.

I have a question about the place to put the piano. I know most people place pianos in the living room (bigger?). For me, I may have no choice but to place it in my study. Problem is that study is
- small (typical HDB 2nd/3rd bedroom size)
- very hot (gets the afternoon sun full blast, and with full height windows, the room can get pretty hot). The piano will be away from direct sunlight though.

Like to hear from anyone if such a room is suitable for putting a piano. Would the heat be harmful to the piano? Should I place it in the living room instead?

Also, would putting a YUS5 in a small room be 'too loud'? It has parquet flooring. Would I need to put a carpet under the piano to 'soften' it?

Sorry if the questions sound silly. Have never own a piano before. Had a clavinoa (CVP-69) for more than 10 years until it suddenly died last week :-(

If not consider install aircon in the room & 24 hour on the aircon?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pingering » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 am

If not consider install aircon in the room & 24 hour on the aircon?

Ai yo, that would be pretty heavy on the PS bill!

Anyway, in the end, I managed to find a place in my living room to put the piano. Got a YUS5, i does sounded a bit loud in my not-so-big living room, especially since it is placed at the "intersection" of all bedrooms, but still, it sounded great :-)

pingering
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama