All About Choosing and Buying Pianos

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.
phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Re: All About Choosing and Buying Pianos

Post by phankao » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Papababy wrote:
simplycho wrote:papababy, is your girl doing grade 1 yet? Personally i would reccomend to let them play on a keyboard until you're sure of their interest as a piano is a hefty investment.
I prefer 2nd hand pianos as a well maintained one would be well seasoned so it'd be easier to play on
i'd imagine it to be more challenging for a beginner to season a new piano well (from what i understand from my child's piano teacher)

so if possible, may be you could invite your child's music teacher to evaluate the pianos with you?
if no such option then i would rather purchase a brand new piano but those made in japan type
Hi Sleepy thanks, had discuss with my wife for the pass few days and decided on a electric piano Kawai CN25 the touch is very close to an acoustic piano, until she get better with her piano then will upgrade it to acoustic piano.

:thankyou:

but then you'd have to spend twice.

lynettemummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by lynettemummy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 am

Anyone interested in a Casio Privia PX 330? Selling cheap cos I got my piano. sms 90615360. Thanks!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:6

Post by straffan23 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:55 pm

I need to get a piano to replace a 10-year old digital piano that has kaput. My budget is around $2k. Should I get a 2-yo Yamaha JU109? A second hand Clavinova? A china piano? Or...

I play some simple songs for fun but this is mainly for my daughter in Grade 2.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Lynn2010 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:03 am

Anyone looking for a second hand piano?

Kohler & Campbell
Model KMV-52E.
52" Full height vertical piano.
Concert/Performance grade.
Serial #JRDU0010.

Purchased new late 2008, piano still looks brand new inside & outside. Heating rod keeps piano internals dry from the humidity & piano is professionally tuned every 6 months.

Very well-maintained & in immaculate condition. Child has long finished their music exams and is overseas. Comes with height adjustable leather seat.

Viewing time can be arranged.

www.kohlerandcampbell.com/kmv52md.htm

jenao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jenao » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi,

I would like advice on the following.

I have been going around looking at used pianos and there are 20 odd yrs pianos that are imported from Japan that look like brand new, as though you bought it new from Yamaha. They keys, hammers, strings etc that look totally white or unused, no sign of dust or wear and tear at all. Another shop that I went to also had used piano 20 odd yrs imported from Japan but they do show signs of wear and tear ie abit dusty, not pure white hammer and keys but still look quite new, but definitely can tell that they were second hand. The seller was telling me that the pianos are as it is, not reconditioned like some others that take out each key or hammer and replace a new one. The price for these almost brand new pianos are $1k higher than the other used pianos.

My question is would you condiser these brand new pianos, with higher price or are they totally reconditioned such that you do not know what are the parts and what you are paying for? Or it does not matter as long as when you play it, it sound alright, it feels alright, it has what a piano is suppose to do?

Appreciate your reply so that we can narrow down the search.

Porky Pig
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:10

Post by Porky Pig » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:50 am

Need to look for a piano tuner. Anyone got any good recommendations?

Yiling91
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Yiling91 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Porky Pig wrote:Need to look for a piano tuner. Anyone got any good recommendations?
Hi,

you can try Jason 96710888 . I bought piano from his shop and he tuned my piano twice alrd :) so far so good.

momoftwo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by momoftwo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 pm

straffan23 wrote:I need to get a piano to replace a 10-year old digital piano that has kaput. My budget is around $2k. Should I get a 2-yo Yamaha JU109? A second hand Clavinova? A china piano? Or...

I play some simple songs for fun but this is mainly for my daughter in Grade 2.

Hi, you might want to consider a second hand piano. But this will require a bit of research. I just helped my friend to score a good deal for Yamaha U1 (Japan) that's about 12 years old for $3200 from an ad at carousell. There are quite a number of Japanese Kawai and Yamaha at both Carousell and Gumtree. You might get lucky. Just make sure that you did your research on the serial number (so you know which year they were made) and if possible get someone who knows piano to shop with you.

I'd rather get a 20+ year old Japanese piano than a new China piano. All the best on your piano search!

momoftwo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by momoftwo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:50 pm

jenao wrote:Hi,

I have been going around looking at used pianos and there are 20 odd yrs pianos that are imported from Japan that look like brand new, as though you bought it new from Yamaha. They keys, hammers, strings etc that look totally white or unused, no sign of dust or wear and tear at all. Another shop that I went to also had used piano 20 odd yrs imported from Japan but they do show signs of wear and tear ie abit dusty, not pure white hammer and keys but still look quite new, but definitely can tell that they were second hand. The seller was telling me that the pianos are as it is, not reconditioned like some others that take out each key or hammer and replace a new one. The price for these almost brand new pianos are $1k higher than the other used pianos.

My question is would you condiser these brand new pianos, with higher price or are they totally reconditioned such that you do not know what are the parts and what you are paying for? Or it does not matter as long as when you play it, it sound alright, it feels alright, it has what a piano is suppose to do?

Hi, have you try places like Carousell or Gumtree? I'd prefer getting from the owner than from warehouse. Perhaps because I've not had good experience in the warehouse.
However for this you will need to have some "skills" to make sure that the piano that you buy is worth it. Usually the piano teacher or friend with this experience can help to look.

Another advantage to this is you get to see how the piano is treated by the previous owner. Just my two cents, hope you find this helpful.

Yiling91
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Yiling91 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:38 am

jenao wrote:Hi,

Hi! I had the same doubts last month when I was about to buy a piano. What I did was, I requested the seller to open up everything for me to see, including the white and black keys because I heard used pianos might have bugs/insects inside (not sure how true) if you haven't used it for quite sometimes. To my surprise, one of the sellers agreed to open up everything for me.

I was asking the same questions too, why the keys look so new - the answer is, it can be replaced! Apparently this seller replaced everything and make sure there is no scratch on the piano as he wanted to sell pianos which are in good condition. I bought a Kawai from him and he gave free 2 tunings, 1 umbrella, 1 tshirt, 1 metronome + free delivery + original receipt written in Japanese with some Japanese owner name on it! He claimed that the pianos are imported from Japan and hand picked by himself. -> you can visit his website : http://pianosfromjapan.com/

- I earn nothing from this -