Sylvia Mccully School Of Dancing

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Sylvia Mccully School Of Dancing

Postby lovekin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:28 am

Hi,

My girl :love: turning 5 yo next yr, wanted to sign her up for ballet class.
Anyone sent your dd to Sylvia Mccully School Of Dancing for ballet?
Any feedback?
What's their operating hours like and fees?
Been looking around for their website but can't find, dont think they have!

lovekin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:44 am

I trained under Ms. McCully for 20 over years! I stopped after having kids so I don't know how things are right now.

I respect her immensely. She can appear stern, aloof and intimidating, but don't let that put you off (because she does have a softer side)! She is an excellent teacher. She is one of the pioneers of dance in Singapore and trained in the UK, so she really knows her stuff. She has extremely high standards and is always motivating her dancers to do better and better. She also expects a high level of discipline from us. These qualities (self-motivation, discipline, self-belief etc.) filtered into other aspects of our lives as well.

Oh, and I don't recall her every talking down to us. She would always talk to us like adults, even when we were little girls. Of course, she would scold us too when we could see that we were being lazy (e.g. when we jump a little less high when we thought she wasn't looking). But she would be very encouraging if she saw we were trying very hard. She doesn't compare you with others (though she might use the better students as a good example for the other students to aspire to, e.g. "see how straight the leg needs to be?"), and expects you to always try to better yourself. So you are your own competition...In fact, the better students sometimes got more scolding because they might be more inclined to be lazy since they were already so talented. In a very strange way, I really liked being singled out of correction in class because it showed that she was paying attention to me!

I loved that she would stage dance performances (maybe once every couple of years or so). It was so fun being able to be part of a production. I really enjoyed dancing under her and I wish I could go back to dance! Maybe when my boys are older. I know a number of us continued dancing with her well into adulthood, even those with kids (and they would send their daughters as well).

Of course, I know some of my classmates who might not have such positive remarks to make. Some people just respond to scoldings less positively, I suppose.

I don't think Ms. McCully has a website. She's quite well-established and relies more on word of mouth. Give her a call and her receptionist/secretary will answer your queries. Good luck!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Sylvia Mccully School Of Dancing

Postby clioclio » Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi, seems that this post has been dormant for a while...

I am interested to let my girl join the school...she has been learning ballet for a while and now she is at Primary level.

Any feedback on the school? I called the school a few times, but always no answer :(
what are the schedules like? is there only one teacher or a few different teachers? If so, any recommendations?

How about the fees?

Thanks in advance!

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby alexlcs » Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 am

clioclio wrote:Hi, seems that this post has been dormant for a while...

I am interested to let my girl join the school...she has been learning ballet for a while and now she is at Primary level.

Any feedback on the school? I called the school a few times, but always no answer :(
what are the schedules like? is there only one teacher or a few different teachers? If so, any recommendations?

How about the fees?

Thanks in advance!

Hi... Ms Mc doesn't teach all weekdays. As far as I know, she teaches on tues, fri and weekends. She doesn't answer the call if her clerk is not in. Anyway, if you call on these day (avoid lunch time), Ms chan shld be there to answer the call. Hope it helps

alexlcs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Renewed Eagle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi, just wondering if Sylvia Mccully School of Dancing does RAD???

Renewed Eagle
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby alexlcs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Renewed Eagle wrote:Hi, just wondering if Sylvia Mccully School of Dancing does RAD???

Yes. But she already send primary and above for exams

alexlcs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Renewed Eagle » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:56 pm

do they take in gals that has basic experience or are they strict with the min age?
cos my daughter is just turning 4 this sept and she learns ballet in the USA for abt a year. now we are back in singapore for good. so looking around for good ballet school for her.

alexlcs wrote:
Renewed Eagle wrote:Hi, just wondering if Sylvia Mccully School of Dancing does RAD???

Yes. But she already send primary and above for exams

Renewed Eagle
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama