Mandeville Music School - Discussion

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Mandeville Music (violin lessons/teachers)

Postby claire » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi
I am looking around for a violin teacher for my child. She has been learning the violin and is now doing Grade 4 pieces.
Does anyone of you have children with Mandeville Music ? I would like to hear your experience(your child's experince) with this school. As I do not know any of the teachers there, I hope to have someone who can recommand a good teacher if your child is currently with one there.
Thank you in anticipation for your advice & sharing.

claire
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Mandeville Music (violin lessons/teachers)

Postby Mandy-Alex » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:26 am

claire wrote:Hi
I am looking around for a violin teacher for my child. She has been learning the violin and is now doing Grade 4 pieces.
Does anyone of you have children with Mandeville Music ? I would like to hear your experience(your child's experince) with this school. As I do not know any of the teachers there, I hope to have someone who can recommand a good teacher if your child is currently with one there.
Thank you in anticipation for your advice & sharing.

Dear Claire,
You can check this site www.musicalartstudio.com.sg
Hope this will help!
Regards!

Mandy-Alex
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby claire » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Mandy
Thank you for the info. We will perhaps visit the music school during the school holiday break.
Is your child having violin lessons with one of the teachers here in this school ?
Thank you.
Have a great weekend.

claire
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mandy-Alex » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:36 pm

claire wrote:Hi Mandy
Thank you for the info. We will perhaps visit the music school during the school holiday break.
Is your child having violin lessons with one of the teachers here in this school ?
Thank you.
Have a great weekend.

Dear Claire,
My gal is not musical inclined. But I have friend, whose child has been having violin lessons with one of the teachers in Musical Art Studio since 2003. That's why I know, that this school has two violin teachers. Both of them are very good, high educated. They hold Master Degree in violin from famous Music Conservatories in Europe. They have a great experience in teaching children-one of them more than 15 years teaching experience /7 years here in Singapore/. And the same time teachers from that school perform frequently in different concerts here in Singapore. You may want to go through this link:
http://www.sistic.com.sg/portal/dt?retr ... ion=RENDER

And one more:
http://www.esplanade.com/whats_on/progr ... x.jsp#tabs

One more benefit: The fees are lower in rate comparing with those in Mandeville Music. Even at Mandeville you pay monthly fee, but you receive three lessons, 1:1 basis, instead of four, cos one of the lessons in the month is not perform 1:1 basis as they called those lessons "assembly" lessons. So students are required to gather to make an ensemble, every time conducted from different teacher. This is not too bad if the students are on the same level. But usually they are not, so it's a bit pointless.
At Musical Art Studio students are exposed to the Chamber music as well, preparing the Annual Concert of the school. But the participation in this Concert is not compulsory/as students have different aims/ and rehearsals for the Annual Concert are free of charge.
BTW, how old is your child?

All the best !(:
Mandy
:D

Mandy-Alex
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Supersmart » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello I am a P3 student who is in mandeville learning the violin. My mother is also thinking of changing schools because the teachers there always have MC and we always need to arrange for replacement class. Also, their ensemble classes are quite a waste of money as it is actually one lesson each(you have to pay the same money for the ensemble classes and it lasts fot the same time) . And sometimes there could be some people who are slower there at the ensemble who could waste time so it is not worth it. :(

Supersmart
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sautille » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:21 am

My children are with Mandeville and this is what I understand:

Mandeville's ensmeble classes are categorised into elementary, primary, intermediate, advanced and diploma levels, catering to students of different standards. e.g intermediate ensemble comprises students at ABRSM Grades 6 & 7 levels.

The ensemble classes are conducted by the same teachers. They have 2-3 teachers for each ensemble (depending on size of the class).

8)

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Mandeville Music School - Discussion

Postby hamster » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Parents

Need your feedback on this Mandeville Music School, the teacher qualification? will you put your child in this music school?

Thanks!

hamster
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi hamster,

My sons (3 and 6 yo) are studying music at Mandeville. How old is your child?

DS1 started about 2 years ago (when he was 4), and went straight to individual lessons. He had no prior piano lessons. He has had 2 teachers so far (the first quit due to medical problems). His development has been quite excellent, particularly in the past year.

DS2 started a group baby music class at 2 and has now graduated to a more advanced class where he actually gets to learn to play notes. (He's 3 now). I haven't had experience with other schools so I can't really compare. He's having fun and learning at the same time. Of the batch that started out with him, only one child dropped out, but I think that was more to do with personal reasons than with the school.

What I like about the school is that they spend quite a bit of time on performance and broader music learning. So, there is a monthly group class where students come together to learn about music in general, and perform a piece to the rest of the students. (Some parents complain that this is a waste of time and money, but I think this is an excellent programme). There are a few school performances and recitals every year at various levels and individual teachers may also organise mini-recitals for their students. This means that a good number of students, not just the very best, get performance experience. As a result, DS1 is quite confident when playing in front of an audience. It's no big deal to him. Much better than me at the same age!

Based on my experience, the teaching staff are not bad. The school posts the exam results of the students with the names of their teachers on the notice board. So that's one way of gathering "market intelligence". I think the progression of each child will also depend on how the teacher connects with the child. The school allows you to have trial classes with various teachers, so if you're not sure you can always do the trials.

Hope this helps!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Mandeville

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Previously, if I am not wrong, Mandeville was known as Mandeville School of Music. However, they have recently renamed themselves on the signboards as Mandeville Conservatory of Music, can anyone advise if anything has changed to warrant the name change? :? Any changes in their services offered?

Re: Mandeville Music School

Postby sautille » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:40 pm

If I'm not wrong, Mandeville is starting to offer its own certificate programme.

sautille
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama