Yamaha exam

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Yamaha exam

Postby xinnamag » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 am

my girl is attending yamaha piano school for children since july last year. her teacher said that she will be taking the grade 13 exam in march. i am confused about the grading. If Yamaha's exam is from grade 13 to 12 and finally to grade 1, then why are people saying grade 8 is the highest? :?

also, is the grade 13 exam difficult to pass? How will the teacher test them? If my girl made a mistake while playing the piece, can she stop and request to play again or does she continue with it? what if she fail the exam? can she continue with the class?

xinnamag
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby radiantmum » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Yamaha grades are in descending order. ABRSM grades are in ascending order. Typically grade 8 refers to ABRSM grade 8. Confusing for me initially and still am :lol:

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby musicglen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

hi there, im currently a Yamaha teacher teaching YJC classes. but for psfc classes, i know they do prepare students for ABRSM grade 1. But probably would be end of 2nd or 3rd year (can't really remember; or maybe they've changed the syllabus since the last time i heard of it)

As for the Yamaha grade 13, it's just a small test to see if they've learnt from the lessons. it'd be a good gauge of how much yr child has achieved.

As for Yamaha Grading, grades starts from 13 all the way till 1. However, as far as I know, grades 1 and 2 are of concert pianist standard and many of such grade 1/2 holders are in Japan. Some teachers in Singapore have grade 3, others are with grades 4 or 5. In other words, grade 5 would be the "teaching cert".

For JXC (junior extension course) graduates, aged 8-9 (around p2-p3), they'd go for Yamaha grade 9 exam. Beyond the JXC level, there're other courses offered and they too go for Yamaha graded exams. Pls check with Yamaha for the ongoing grading as they are having some changes wef this year.

On the contrary, for ABRSM grading, grades starts from 1 to 8. A Grade 8 full cert (both practical and theory) is deemed to be the "highest grade". Beyond the Grade 8 would be Diploma offered at different levels. (eg. DipABRSM, DipLRSM, DipFRSM)

Anyway, back to the Yamaha Grade 13 you were talking about.. Do ask your child's teacher on what is tested (for example, repertoire pieces she needs to prepare, sightreading, or is there any singing/listening tests - normally done in solfeges for both melody and harmony). I've done grading a couple of times and those were the subjects tested. I'm not sure whether they've changed it, so do approach your child's teacher for more info. :)

If your child makes a mistake, try not to repeat. Just continue playing! No worries as they won't be too harsh on your child (i hope). So far, I don't think I've failed anyone when I was the assessor. Just do your best! :)

Hope all of the above helped! :)

musicglen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby xinnamag » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 am

hi radiantmum & musicglen, thks a lot for the explanation! much appreciated! :D

xinnamag
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Champion » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 am

musicglen wrote:hi there, im currently a Yamaha teacher teaching YJC classes.

For JXC (junior extension course) graduates, aged 8-9 (around p2-p3), they'd go for Yamaha grade 9 exam. Beyond the JXC level, there're other courses offered and they too go for Yamaha graded exams. Pls check with Yamaha for the ongoing grading as they are having some changes wef this year.

Hi musicglen, may I check with you regarding the Yamaha Grade 9 exam? My girl is now in JXC 2nd year; Book 3. According to the teacher, they will be taking the Grade 9 exam in Nov.
1) So, what is this Grade 9 exam all about? Is is practical exam or is there a theroy exam?
2) They are using the Theory of Music Exams Grade 1 (2007) booklet and is this related to the exam?
3) So after this exam, where can my gal proceeds to? I have checked with her previous teacher - according to her, if I will to let her goes for private lesson, then she will have to start from Grade 1?? So strictly speaking, her 4 years in Yamaha will not advantage her in a way to "skip grades"?

Sorry, if I am asking too many questions but I am really clueless to music and all the exam terms. :?: All you or other parents who have gone thru similar experience can share with me more. :thankyou:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jce » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 pm

Champion, whether your child can skip grades or not, if you choose to switch to the classical method, depends largely on the teacher. The classical method of teaching is different from Yamaha junior groups. By right there should be more emphasis on hand positions, posture, note reading and rhythm. The years in Yamaha junior groups are basically to build a (good) foundation for ear training, some rhythm and music appreciation.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby idlewise » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi musicglen

Does it mean that if my kid went through the YJC and the extension course, and I want to continue with piano classes, my kid will start with Grade 8 in piano?

idlewise
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby radiantmum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Yamaha Grade Examination System Structure
Yamaha Grade Examination student grades begin at Grade 9 and progress through Grade 6. Grades 5-3 are teacher level examinations, and Grades 2 and 1 are available to anyone interested in taking a professional performance examination.

http://usa.yamaha.com/music_education/y ... amination/

Champion, for more details on what was being tested on Yamaha different grade exams - check below

http://www.yamaha-mf.or.jp/english/syllabus/index.html

& I believe you are referring to completing Yamaha Grade 9 practical exam and ABRSM Grade 1 theory/practical (idelwise, not sure too which one are you referring to). Again, Yamaha and ABRSM are different exam boards and their grading systems are in opposite orders.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Yamaha exam

Postby musicglen » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi all, sorry for the long hiatus as I don't know why but I didn't receive any email notifications that someone replied to the thread!!

Anyway hope this still helps.

@Champion:
1) Yamaha Grade 9 exam is a Practical Exam. Regarding what is being tested, do check with your child's JXC teacher as time to time they're making changes to the syllabus and exam criteria.
2) They are using ABRSM grade 1 specimen papers, and this is in preparation for ABRSM Grade 1 theory exam.
3) Upon JXC graduation, a child may switch to individual lessons and might not need to start from scratch. However, this would very much depend on the student's ability/progress and the teacher. I'm currently teaching a JXC graduate for private lessons and I started her off with ARBSM Grade 2 and she's coping quite well. I'd say nowadays ABRSM grades are getting tougher so whether to "skip grades" would be very much dependent on the student and the teacher.

@idlewise
I'm sorry, your Grade 8 refers to ABRSM?? To reach ABRSM Grade 8 took me quite a few years to reach that as it is the highest level of ABRSM grading. I was a JMC graduate myself (at my time there isn't any JXC) and after that I went for individual lessons with my JMC teacher. Which means I started JMC when I was 4 yrs old, and I only gotten my Grade 8 Practical when I was 15. So I suppose you mean Yamaha Grade 8 since at the end of JXC, your child would have gone for Yamaha Grade 9 exam. For many one-to-one lessons, teachers would prepare a student for ABRSM, instead of Yamaha exams. Hence, @radiantmum is right and her links above are very useful! Do check them out! :)

musicglen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Yamaha exam

Postby comfy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi, my dd just finished her Grade 8 electone exam. From the above sharing, I realise that within the grade 8 there is course A and B. So for grade 7 exam, is it better to take course A. She took course B for her grade 8 exam. Any advantage? Hope to hear from anyone who has knowledge regarding this? TIA
IMO, looking at the content of the exam for course A and B, course A seem to be easier as there is no sight-reading and hearing. Less component to learn for exam. Am I right?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama