Con piano-tutor

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Con piano-tutor

Postby peanut_butter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 am

Just a note to all, the tutor above is still in action. She has changed her name recently and according to her ex-student, a new scar on her face. The student confirmed the photo in one of the link was hers when she was younger. The ex-student showed up at my studio last week. We are left with 7 weeks to prepare for grade 5 theory exam. He only learnt the cycle of 5th and alto clef from her and he did not even have the grade 1 theory knowledge of note value. :x We are doing intense lessons now to make up for the lost time.
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/foru ... 1267793472
http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/music-kopi ... ed-34.html
http://www.friendster.com/viewphotos.ph ... id=2793858
Last edited by peanut_butter on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SnowieBob » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 am

Gosh.. Can't believe that there are actually such teachers. Isn't teachers suppose to be a role model, leading and groom your students well! So angry.

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Passerby » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Perhaps something to learn from this incident is that other than checking credentials of tutors, the new tutor should produce his / her NRIC too so that the NRIC number and legal name can be noted. If of course the tutor comes highly recommended from reliable sources then such steps of verification may not be necessary. Especially for home tutors (not attached to reliable agencies), reality is one would not really know whether whatever info she / he has provided are true and reliable, when so much reliance is actually being put on their credibility to help the child.

At least then when later police reports are made etc, the personal details can also be lodged with the police, for the report to have any "effect" at all.

It's just not right when there are such unscrupulous people out there preying on parents' anxiousness to provide necessary coaching etc for their kids, and they can get away with it. In this case, appears that she has been in operation since 2008!

Passerby
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Con piano-tutor

Postby teh_oh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:14 pm

peanut_butter,
The last link above has links to adult website. can you remove it?

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby peanut_butter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:23 am

teh_oh wrote:The last link above has links to adult website. can you remove it?

Sorry. It looked decent. I link it for the photos. Done! Change it to another website.

Most piano teachers are professional and take pride in their callings.
The message is merely to warn everyone from falling into her trap. She is a con artist, not a real teacher.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby titank » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Can you post the HP number & the name in forum so that we can be alert of such irresponsible teacher?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peanut_butter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:18 pm

According to her ex-student, she was last known as Catherine Ding.

peanut_butter
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SnowieBob » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I saw a exact same pattern post in gumtree ad. Pls be careful parents

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Paris Zhuang » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:27 am

I am astonished by the acts of the above teacher, as I believe that the doings by her will render the private music arena into much disarray, as parents will be wary in regards to teachers who are teaching privately.
As passerby noted, there is a need to obtain to check the NRIC of the teacher and its certification before the start of a new lesson, however I believe that parents shouldn’t lose faith in the private teaching arena, as most private teachers strike out on their own due to not only timing flexibility, but also flexibility in their teaching methodology as they adapt different teaching styles for different students.
I am able to speak as a part of the arena as I am also currently teaching music in a private capacity, and I believe that everything about music ties in with what the students are learning in life, eg. Being good in math help to improve their counting of intervals etc.
Theory and scales are boring to many students, but I believe that these are studies that help to support the ultimate goal of music performance.
Things that are learnt in theory such as 4 bar phrasing helps them to understand the manner in songs are created, chord progressions are essential for all songs and etc.
Helping them to understand that scales is not boring, but it is a fundamental tool for them to improve their finger movements and strength, thus enabling them to play harder songs.
Thus, I believe that the experience of learning music can be applied to their daily life.
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact me at paris.musictutor@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Paris

Paris Zhuang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re:

Postby blessedpianist » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 pm

titank wrote:Can you post the HP number & the name in forum so that we can be alert of such irresponsible teacher?

Hi, I just chanced upon this topic and I could have been under this teacher before. If I'm not wrong, she is known as Catherine Ding Ming Jie, and she is known as Mrs Khoo. Her hp no. should be 90783538. I was under her for 1 lesson for Grade 8 a few years back and after the first lesson, she kept postponing the 2nd lesson giving last min notices. So in the end, my parents dismissed her. Before my parents engaged her, she sent a copy of her cert. That's how I got her full name. Hope this helps.

blessedpianist
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama