Piano Exam

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Piano Exam

Postby Leanne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello everyone,

Would like to seek some advice.

My ds went to studio to try out the piano today, and found out that the key is very light, very different from the home piano.

So,ended up exam pieces, slipped, scales too...

At home, he pressed the piano quite hard, so when go there, the piano is light, so ended up whole scales , pieces are very messy, what shall we do?thanks.He is taking grade 7.Thanks


rgds
Leanne

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby SnowieBob » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi,

I guess many students face the same problem. If you realize, piano is the only instrument that they provide in the whole exam. Its more of performance and musicianship for piano higher grade. The examiner himself also know the weight of the piano as they need to play for oral.
Student must know how to control the light weight and to adapt to it.
Actually getting the light weight piano is better then a small room as the echo is horrible. And echo can't be controlled.
I guess as long as the overall piece of the mood and musicality is captured during the exam, it should be fine as the examiner will be playing it as well. Don't worry, but I must say, try the piano again like few days before the exam. Some places they will tune the piano again or even change it if examiner request for it.

Ive got 1 "bad" piano before in the past. It's very different because I'm using a grand piano and exam piano is normal piano, so weight wise is also a huge problem. Go to the studio at least 2 times if you worry. Hope this helps

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Leanne » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 am

Hi Snowiebob,

Thanks so much for your comforting reply.

Yes, ds will have another two times to try out the studio piano.Yesterday,he also realised that the echo is so loud and has difficulty in pressing the paddle too.All the pieces went messy.

Just hope the next two studios practise will be fine.

Check with you, will piano tuning affect the piano?Lately, noticed my piano has lots of vibration coming out of it.

Anyone face such?thanks


Regards
Leanne

SnowieBob wrote:Hi,

I guess many students face the same problem. If you realize, piano is the only instrument that they provide in the whole exam. Its more of performance and musicianship for piano higher grade. The examiner himself also know the weight of the piano as they need to play for oral.
Student must know how to control the light weight and to adapt to it.
Actually getting the light weight piano is better then a small room as the echo is horrible. And echo can't be controlled.
I guess as long as the overall piece of the mood and musicality is captured during the exam, it should be fine as the examiner will be playing it as well. Don't worry, but I must say, try the piano again like few days before the exam. Some places they will tune the piano again or even change it if examiner request for it.

Ive got 1 "bad" piano before in the past. It's very different because I'm using a grand piano and exam piano is normal piano, so weight wise is also a huge problem. Go to the studio at least 2 times if you worry. Hope this helps

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby jce » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:23 pm

What do you mean by vibration? As in after tuning, the vibration is more audible?

Exam pianos will be tuned prior to the exams but that won't affect the touch. Will just have to get use to the piano and don't be shocked by how different things sound. Go with the feel and play with confidence.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby pokemon97 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:03 am

Hi, just wish to check is it necessary to book the exam studio to try out the piano before exam? Anyone went to exam without booking the exam studio and how it goes?

pokemon97
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:39 am
Total Likes: 0



Postby SnowieBob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:54 am

Hi,

I would say usually higher grade students will want to book the studio to try. It's not compulsory but having a feel of it is better because exam piano may be very different from your home piano (Esp pedal for some piano model). I didn't try out the piano throughout my exams last time. Only for my grade 8 I booked once to try it

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Leanne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:14 am

Hello,

Can just check what is the lead time for piano practicle exam to be out?
Piano teacher check online is faster than waiting for post right?thanks


regards
Leanne

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Leanne wrote:Yes, ds will have another two times to try out the studio piano.Yesterday,he also realised that the echo is so loud and has difficulty in pressing the paddle too.All the pieces went messy.

Just hope the next two studios practise will be fine.


Wow, you really booked the studio for 3x? We've only booked 1x all these years. Never thot to go so many times.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby phankao » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Leanne wrote:Hello,

Can just check what is the lead time for piano practicle exam to be out?
Piano teacher check online is faster than waiting for post right?thanks


regards
Leanne


2.5 to 3 weeks for online results. The actual results - examiner's score sheet plus certificate mailed to you by the following week.

Chinese instrumental exam by Beijing central conservatory examining board is the fastest so far. Results (score sheet plus certificate) out by end of the week. ;D

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6


Postby Leanne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Phankao,


Piano teacher request three times.First try, was real bad and the teacher was with ds.Second time, got used to the piano.Third try, ds was alone in the studio and he likes that piano in the end.

Thanks for info on the lead time for release of the results.


cheers
Leanne

phankao wrote:
Leanne wrote:Yes, ds will have another two times to try out the studio piano.Yesterday,he also realised that the echo is so loud and has difficulty in pressing the paddle too.All the pieces went messy.

Just hope the next two studios practise will be fine.


Wow, you really booked the studio for 3x? We've only booked 1x all these years. Never thot to go so many times.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama