How to exposure kids to different musical instrument?

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

How to exposure kids to different musical instrument?

Postby rejoice137 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi all,

My DS has been attending Yamaha group music lesson close to 2 years now. I am thinking of moving him to an individual lesson as the Yamaha lesson is in the evening which is too tiring for him as he is attending morning session P1 now.

Since Electron is the first instrument he encountered, the likely chance he will continue with piano. However, I am wondering how do we exposure our children to different kind of musical instrument to find out what they really like? Should piano be the fundamental musical instrument before they move on to another musical instrument like guitar or violin?

My younger DS told me he likes to learn drum and I am not sure if it is suitable for him or should I also get him to learn piano first?

rejoice137
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to exposure kids to different musical instrument?

Postby hquek » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 pm

rejoice137 wrote:Hi all,

My DS has been attending Yamaha group music lesson close to 2 years now. I am thinking of moving him to an individual lesson as the Yamaha lesson is in the evening which is too tiring for him as he is attending morning session P1 now.

Since Electron is the first instrument he encountered, the likely chance he will continue with piano. However, I am wondering how do we exposure our children to different kind of musical instrument to find out what they really like? Should piano be the fundamental musical instrument before they move on to another musical instrument like guitar or violin?

My younger DS told me he likes to learn drum and I am not sure if it is suitable for him or should I also get him to learn piano first?

First thought was to join the school band? they have a whole array of instruments he can try out.

Violin and piano are very different (at least to my untrained eye). Why don't you check with him? My neighbour's kid loves violin and asked for lessons....he's very good now.

To me, drums is more a percussion instrument - quite different from piano/others. DS2 (4 y/o) was keen also but I objected. Will probably go mad from the thump thump thump at home - also my neighbours won't be too happy. :-P

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby rejoice137 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Hquek,

Unfortunately his school does not have a school band or at least not that I know of. Yes, piano, violin and drum are very different instrument. I also not very favor in drum due to noise and it probably need more space in the house than an upright piano or a violin. May be I will bring my boys to the music school to see what they like and want to try.

rejoice137
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re:

Postby Nitetingale » Fri May 27, 2011 3:50 pm

rejoice137 wrote:Hi Hquek,

Unfortunately his school does not have a school band or at least not that I know of. Yes, piano, violin and drum are very different instrument. I also not very favor in drum due to noise and it probably need more space in the house than an upright piano or a violin. May be I will bring my boys to the music school to see what they like and want to try.

Join a music camp where perhaps they can be introduced to different instruments?

Nitetingale
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama