Suzuki Violin - Discussion

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Suzuki Violin - Discussion

Postby smurf » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Anyone's kids learning this? :? IS there any differeny between the normal violin course and Suzuki?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Smurf,

My kids are taking Suzuki violin lessons. For suzuki violin lessons, the kids are not required to learn to read notes in the beginning. They are trained to play by ear as well as memory. This allows children as young as 2 years old to start learning the instrument. Whereas for classical violin lessons, the kids are required to learn to read notes and play the instrument at the same time.

Just to share my experience, Suzuki violin lessons require a great deal of parents' participation. Simply put, the parent is the child's teacher. The violin teacher is there to correct the playing techniques. This is a struggle for me as I do not have any musical background. In fact, I'm considering if I should switch my kids to classical violin instead.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:17 pm

chamonix wrote:... This allows children as young as 2 years old to start learning the instrument...

2 years old! My daughter can't even handle a pair of chopsticks at that age, much less a block of wood with strings attached. No Vanessa Mae dreams for me :|

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby smurf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:50 pm

chamonix wrote:Hi Smurf,

My kids are taking Suzuki violin lessons. For suzuki violin lessons, the kids are not required to learn to read notes in the beginning. They are trained to play by ear as well as memory. This allows children as young as 2 years old to start learning the instrument. Whereas for classical violin lessons, the kids are required to learn to read notes and play the instrument at the same time.

Just to share my experience, Suzuki violin lessons require a great deal of parents' participation. Simply put, the parent is the child's teacher. The violin teacher is there to correct the playing techniques. This is a struggle for me as I do not have any musical background. In fact, I'm considering if I should switch my kids to classical violin instead.

Thanks Chamonix! May I know where are your children taking the course? I've called up a lot of places, some are too far and some only on weekdays. very difficult to arrange for a timing.:(

I do have some musical background, but I don't have time! :stupid:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mommyNg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:22 am

Hi chamonix,

Yes, I'm interested to know where your kids are taking Suzuki violin lesson too! How long have your kids been learning the Suzuki violin?

Yes, Suzuki violin lessons require a lot of parents' participation, and especially when your kids are young, they need a lot more coaching from you. But the pros are the training by ear and building a good repertoire of songs. Listening to the CDs is very helpful in jump-starting their learning of the songs.

Thanks!

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby metz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
chamonix wrote:... This allows children as young as 2 years old to start learning the instrument...

2 years old! My daughter can't even handle a pair of chopsticks at that age, much less a block of wood with strings attached. No Vanessa Mae dreams for me :|

Hi Chief,

Vanessa Mae started playing violin at 5 years old. If your daughter starts playing now, who knows, she may be the next Vanessa Mae. :D
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Smurf and MommyNg,

My kids are currently having lesson at Crestar (Jurong East Branch). You can try calling the branches near to you if they provide Suzuki violin lessons. http://www.crestar.com.sg/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=60 . For a list of qualified Suzuki Violin Teachers, you can find them here http://www.smas.org.sg/index.htm

Hi Smurf,

It will be so much easier for you since you have music background. If time is a constraint, maybe you can request for a teacher who's not too demanding and can work well with your kids' temperament. My kids' teacher keeps stressing that they need to practise a song 100 times per day. Really stressful. Most of time they can't meet the quota and keep getting "reminders" every lesson. :oops:

Hi MommyNg,

My son and daughter began violin lessons last June and October respectively.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I totally agree on the coaching part and playing CD more often. Just realised that I need to let them listen to the CD more. Now, the CD has also become our bedtime lullaby.

Hope you don't mind me tapping on your expertise (you come across to me a violin teacher :D), is it advisable to encourage the kids to play along with the CD?
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:27 am

100 times per day! :shock:

wow, do they really have the patience to practice 100 times? hahah. :lol:

My boy do not have any musical background, and he thinks musical instruments are very easy to learn, just play only lor.hahha. that's why I prefer him to attend those "Introductory Course in Music" first before taking up an instrument. who knows? maybe he likes piano more? :wink:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Courage » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:14 pm

My daughter learned violin Suzuki method when she was 2 years and 11 months old at Crestar (Jurong East). One of the parents needs to sit in for every lesson. She did not have to practise 100 times a day but she got pulled down by other students as it is a group lesson. For her group, it took them 1 year to play the song 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' (with different variation).

Courage
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 pm

will kids that started off with suzuki method have difficulty changing to the normal method after that?

and crestar charges how much for the lessons?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama