Electone - what it is all about

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Electone - what it is all about

Postby acforfamily » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 am

For those who don't know what a good Electone player can do...enjoy this piece "Pirates of the Caribbean" on Electone Stagea!

This player is very good, some of her pieces have more than 1 million hits on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshfffItK0k&feature=related

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby radiantmum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi acforfamily, thanks for sharing!

Initially I thought this post is about sharing with people what is electone. Do you get blank looks each time when you tell people that your DS is learning electone? The next question that typically follows is "is electone an organ?" & honestly i also can't explain the difference btw electone and organ :oops:

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sydney » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 pm

I'll stick with the conventional piano or violin :D

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby radiantmum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 am

Must do justice to electones - it IS a revolutionary way of music enjoyment and kudos to the Japs for that. How else can you play an orchestra simply by 1 person playing?

Personally, I would encourage electone as a starting musical instrument for kids - it practically trains kids to have great multi-task physical co-ordination (hence I would like to think brain too ;-p). If you think both hands playing is tough, wait till you see both hands (upper & lower keyboards), legs (left for rhythm controls, right for registration & volume changes ... plus knees too playing on the electone! Not to mention the music creativity aspect with the various music sounds. It's like learning all instruments with just 1 electone. Generally it's easier for kids to sustain their musical interest with electones.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lil_jade » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi radiantmum!

Wow, your reply came in just handy! Am keen to start my gal on yamaha electone but me being musically ILLITERATE.. sigh... and i have my SIL who was persuading my 4YO to go for 1-1 piano lessons!! I was wondering if it's too serious?

But.. was wondering if in future she likes it, can she migrate to piano, or need to start from stage 1?

Also, if I go for those electone classes, need to get one at home to practice right? browse the net and saw this: http://www.cristofori.asia/ver2/sg/lm.php
Little Mozart Digital Piano @ $439.. Umm, will this suffice? Is it a decent piano, or less keys?

Thank you so much!! Paiseh... I'm really clueless about piano etc... I was thinking of going to some piano shop to count how many keys there are!! :wink:

lil_jade
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby radiantmum » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I am not the person to dispense advice on music - only able to share my personal experience & observation with DS music learning journey.

If you select Yamaha JMC which accepts 4 yr olds & above, you only need to choose electone or piano specialization only after year 4 or year 2 (if in advanced course). Prior to that, a keyboard would be sufficient. Check out the other discussion thread on choosing pianos.

Definitely require additional training if need to switch btw piano/electone. Theory part is applicable for both - do not need to start notes reading again for sure ;-p Key difference btw these two's playing technqiues are touch and pedal control. Was told that an accomplished electone player will take only approx 6 months to switch to piano - not sure if I remember correctly.

My general observation is parents with piano background tend to be less receptive to kids learning electone i.e. still preferred piano as the traditional instrument.

My personal take (subjective of course) is if you are into classical music, piano. If you prefer music arrangements, one-man orchestra, exposure to different musical instruments and sounds - electone. & note: electone course I believe is only with Yamaha since it's their trademark - don't think you have them in Cristofori - do check first. & if not decided, start with Yamaha JMC.

For me, my DS makes the decision.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby acforfamily » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

radiantmum wrote:Hi acforfamily, thanks for sharing!

Initially I thought this post is about sharing with people what is electone. Do you get blank looks each time when you tell people that your DS is learning electone? The next question that typically follows is "is electone an organ?" & honestly i also can't explain the difference btw electone and organ :oops:

Yup same here. That's why i think it is easier to show people what a good player can get out of electone.
I find that usually the higher grade pieces can really show off what an electone can do with more complicated sounds and techniques required; a piano can never sound like a full orchestra. But we will have to accept that yamaha grades are not internationally recognised, unlike abrsm.

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby radiantmum » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Depends on who you speak to - if Japs, they have never heard of ABRSM :D

But it is indeed a fact that ABRSM is more popular than Yamaha grades - - that's why most Yamaha students/parents also more kiasu & take ABRSM exams concurrently mah.

Few other examination bodies eg Trinity etc as well - am sure all has it's own strengths and weakness. ABRSM for instance has its own criticism of too many scales & no improvisation as well.

Regardless, if you use MOE's Music Elective Programme published criterias as a benchmark - - ABRSM is THE mentioned exam board but they also accept equivalent standard from other examination boards. I will go sniff sniff around and confirmed if Yamaha is the accepted equivalent - to satisfy my curiousity :lol: ... unless of course other forum readers can simply just tell me the answer.

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama