Failing Grade 1 piano exam

Looking to grow that little Mozart or Chloe to their full potential? Find out how others are doing it here.

Failing Grade 1 piano exam

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:35 pm

One of my friend's son, 11year old, sat for Piano Grade 1 exam and failed. He has been learning piano lesson for 5 years in this piano school. My friend was very upset and wanted to withdraw his son from the school saying that she has spent so much time and money sending his son to this school but can't see any results. But I was wondering is this (failing his grade 1 exam) the fault of the school or his son? Can we put the blame solely on the school and the teacher? Any advice?

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Failing Grade 1 piano exam

Postby micollh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:45 pm

KoalaMummy wrote:One of my friend's son, 11year old, sat for Piano Grade 1 exam and failed. He has been learning piano lesson for 5 years in this piano school. My friend was very upset and wanted to withdraw his son from the school saying that she has spent so much time and money sending his son to this school but can't see any results. But I was wondering is this (failing his grade 1 exam) the fault of the school or his son? Can we put the blame solely on the school and the teacher? Any advice?

care to share which school ? thanks.

maybe the boy is not ready

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cimman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:07 pm

wah, I think there's something wrong here. If one is learning piano for 5 years and fails Grade 1, the school should be responsible for the results.

Failure is not something that a teacher will only realise during the actual exam. Months prior to the Grade 1 exam, the teacher would know if the student is capable of passing the grade, unless something happened on that day, ie. student fell ill, has a headache, exam nerves, etc...

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SnowieBob » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Personally i think both are responsible but the teacher should take the responsibility to tell the parents about this before the exam. Before sending them for exams, they must be confident that they will be able to prepare them before that.

Is good to get another teacher and try again, build up confidence an also techniques

SnowieBob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm

This does sounds quite strange to me.

Both my kids just sat for grade 1 this year. They have been learning for years since 4 yrs old and they are now 9 and 10yrs respectively so about 5-6 years. We wasn't keen to pressure them on grade chasing previously. But since they decided to try grading exam, we decide to let them go for it.

I suppose the school cannot be so bad that the child cannot pass? If so, how can the school survive over the last 5 years????

Besides teacher teachng them the right thing, I feel that alot depends on the child. There is only so much that the teacher can do. If the child choose not to practise,etc... then how to perfect the pieces???

We only decided to let my 9 yr old go for the exam at the last min when the registration was closing. So he only have a few months to prepare. The night before his exam, he was still mugging as his piano teacher sms me that she is very worried about him as he still don't seem to be able to play one of the 3 songs and his scales is.......... It didn't help that he was busy with exams and homework all these while so we sort of prioritise that studies come first.

When the teacher called me about his results last week... she told me that she was very very nervous to check his results online. But he did fine and slightly better than his sister. So we were like phew.

But I just feel that it's not about sending the child to class. If they don't practise after class, it is not going to be of much help. I suppose this is something that your friend is in a better position to judge where the problem lies.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cimman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

MMM wrote:
When the teacher called me about his results last week... she told me that she was very very nervous to check his results online. But he did fine and slightly better than his sister. So we were like phew.

But I just feel that it's not about sending the child to class. If they don't practise after class, it is not going to be of much help. I suppose this is something that your friend is in a better position to judge where the problem lies.

what you've said is the correct response of a responsible teacher. The teacher is in the best position to know if the child is able to pass the exam, based on his/her progress so far. The teacher should pre empt the parent, if failure is imminent, and not have the parent know about it only after the fact, which I assume is the case here.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Failing Grade 1 piano exam

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 pm

micollh wrote:care to share which school ? thanks.

maybe the boy is not ready

H Micollh, i don't think it's nice for me to put the school name here. It may not be the school's fault. it could be the teacher... or the student itself...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

cimman wrote:wah, I think there's something wrong here. If one is learning piano for 5 years and fails Grade 1, the school should be responsible for the results.

Failure is not something that a teacher will only realise during the actual exam. Months prior to the Grade 1 exam, the teacher would know if the student is capable of passing the grade, unless something happened on that day, ie. student fell ill, has a headache, exam nerves, etc...

That's why my friend think also. She felt that the teacher is not very responsible... causing them :frustrated: and :moneyflies:

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 pm

SnowieBob wrote:Is good to get another teacher and try again, build up confidence an also techniques

yes, she is thinking of getting another private piano to teach his son... hopfully it'll improve...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KoalaMummy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 pm

MMM wrote:This does sounds quite strange to me.

Both my kids just sat for grade 1 this year. They have been learning for years since 4 yrs old and they are now 9 and 10yrs respectively so about 5-6 years. We wasn't keen to pressure them on grade chasing previously. But since they decided to try grading exam, we decide to let them go for it.

Well, my friend is like you too. Didn't worry about grades until recently when her mother asked. so she thought since her son has learn for so many years, maybe it's time to go for exam. They were in fact quite confident that her son will pass... :(

I suppose the school cannot be so bad that the child cannot pass? If so, how can the school survive over the last 5 years????

Yup, so it may not be the school's fault. Fault could lie with the teacher.

Besides teacher teachng them the right thing, I feel that alot depends on the child. There is only so much that the teacher can do. If the child choose not to practise,etc... then how to perfect the pieces??? ....

I agree. perhaps her son may not have the time to practise, hence... But she is seriously considering changing the teacher for her son...

KoalaMummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama